MPF Gaming Community

Hello!

Here at MPF we are a big gaming community (961 members) and we just want people to have fun. We are looking to branch out in to other games other than the one we have now. I came across this game and these forums and are looking in to hosting some server/s. I must say i am rather impressed with it so far.

Currently i am hoping to have a UK based server and hopefully more elsewhere if popular.

Right now i am just seeing if it would be something you would be interested in joining and helping us make popular? Also any ideas or suggestions you might have are also welcome. Thank you :)

Currently we have several gaming servers for other games and TS (Team Speak) for your needs. Come register and check us out.

r3s & MPF gaming community.

https://multiplayerforums.com/

Feedback or helpful information, right? Let's see... Having three machines of different builds as hosts, I can tell you this basic trick: RAM is the key. 32 GB is the best possibility you can have (I'm unable to see how DST would run on anything better, but I can tell you 32 GB equalled the ability to have 16 player slots and 60 FPS all the time). I know people with state-of-the-art processors and little RAM fall short. Therefore you need to find a machine with good RAM if you want to run servers for others.

Then, you ought to consider how to handle mods. I have a little private group for sessions and our members can (and often do) request mods to be added to a certain server. You will want to proceed with testing before letting such a world live since some mods are awfully overpowered (all those ghastly anime show heroes, for instance) or abandoned. Testing is the key. Prepare for digging in the LUA directly to avoid having mods that do the same thing you can achieve through LUA editing.

The size of the world matters, the same for map generation settings. You won't want to use the defaults. Frog rain, tumbleweeds, giants and hound waves, just like killer bees, tend to increase rubberbanding for weaker clients. It may be a good idea to tinker with those. Remember you can even set a prefab to none and manually adjust its numbers through spawning with the console. Sometimes it can be a godsend. A small map, while it sounds harsh, can be the best map provided you set world regrowth one tier higher than the default (you can even see the max, but it isn't necessary). This also encourages the players to move around.

If you have hound waves, you will need triple stone walls for the "panic room". If hound waves are off, you can pretty much live without fences to decrease rubberbanding.

Generally, I think you would be best-off if you joined a server to see the settings at work for yourself. A lot of worlds can't be left alone without constant regeneration because of settings that fall short. And a dedicated server on a medium-tier machine is worse than a hosted one on a resource hog. With the ability to create multiple shard hosted servers, dedicated worlds are no longer as precious as they used to. A host knowing what they are doing with a powerful machine will always work better than a "dedi" on default settings left to griefers. At least those are my findings from several dozen servers hosted myself plus the number of joined worlds I can't estimate. Feel free to challenge them :).

Archived