Dedicated Server World Overrides guide

Hi I am running Mac OS X and I was wondering if someone could tell me how to modify my dedicated server to add world overrides like changing resoures = low, starting resources = low, frog rain = never, and maybe some other things.

The problems is that I don't know where to create the worldgenoverride.lua file, and I don't know the keywords for the new things like changing resources.

Could some one point me in the right direction and maybe give me a list of all the worldgenoverride.lua options?

Hello @comet708, welcome to the forums. Here's the thread where the devs discusses the contents of a worldgenoverride.lua. The location of the worldgenoverride.lua would always be in both the Master and the Caves folder of your dedicated server. 

If you want an workaround I came up with to generate the data you need for your server that deals with world generation, follow the method below:

Spoiler
  • Start up DST.
  • Click Host Game.
  • Click New Server in Slot 1.
  • Set the server intention in the Server Settings so the world can start.
  • Edit the world presets to whatever you wish your dedicated server to be, including the Caves.
  • Now generate the world.
  • Once connected, disconnect from the server.
  • Shutdown Dedicated Server with c_shutdown() command entered into the console or the Dedicated Server Window.
  • Go to this location Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\.
  • Under the Master folder, get the leveldataoverride.lua and that is the leveldataoverride.lua for the Over world.
  • While under the Caves folder, get the leveldataoverride.lua and that is the leveldataoverride.lua for the Caves.
  • Now paste those leveldataoverride.lua in your own dedicated server.
  • leveldataoverride.lua from Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Master goes to  Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyServer\Master.
  • leveldataoverride.lua from Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Caves goes to  Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyServer\Caves.
  • Start up Dedicated Server.
  • Regenerate the world with c_regenerateworld() command entered into the console.

Notice in the method above we used Slot 1, that is because Cluster_1 in the files is what is used for the Slot 1 in the Host Game screen. I needed to specify this so you won't get confused. Cluster_2 is for the Server in Slot 2 and so on. The latest format of leveldataoverride.lua can be generated this way, depending on how often the devs change it's format in future updates. 

I don't play on an OSX system, but I believe the path locations are identical. If you've already ran the server, you should know where to get and place the files. You can inspect the lua files if you want to see the keywords used for presets.

I hope that helps, cheers.

Archived