Transfer save to Dedicated Server?

I just set up a dedicated server using the new method and, I'm wondering if anyone has been able to figure out how to transfer a non-dedicated server save to a dedicated server or if it's even possible to do. I was hosting a server in-game for friends and we've made a lot of progress. I'd like to use the same world if possible.

Hi @HexicTheory

you just need to make copy of the folder save

your old server from host game?

path directory default for host game:

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Master\save

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Caves\save

then it depends if your dedicated server is on Linux? Windows Server? Mac OS X? or perhaps with the Steam tool?

11 hours ago, ToNiO55 said:

Hi @HexicTheory

you just need to make copy of the folder save

your old server from host game?

path directory default for host game:

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Master\save

Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\Caves\save

then it depends if your dedicated server is on Linux? Windows Server? Mac OS X? or perhaps with the Steam tool?

I figured it would be something as simple as moving the save files but, now my only problem is that when I go to the Cluster folders of the world save that I want to transfer there aren't any saves there. I don't understand how I can host the same server in-game with the same world but not have the actual save in My Documents...would the saves be elsewhere? o_o  Also, I'm hosting the dedicated server on Windows via SteamCMD. 

If I'm not mistaken, DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_N contains hosted multilevel world (i.e. forest+caves). If you host forest level only, it goes into DoNotStarveTogether\client_save (and has slightly different structure from a dedicated server).

I have't tried it, but you can try following:

Set up dedicated server with forest only, start it, so it creates all the necessary files, and close it. Then copy files from DoNotStarveTogether\client_save\session\<your_world's_id> to DoNotStarveTogetherDedicated\Cluster_1\Master\save\session\<server's_world_id>.

That might fool it.

Awesome!  @Muche  I went ahead and tried that and, it worked like a charm! Thanks for the help. I just had to find the save in the session folder that had files that matched the amount of days I had survived in the world that I wanted to transfer and move it. :D

I actually use the GUI to generate my servers themselves, make the necessary changes to the .ini files and then move them to my dedicated server.  Its much easier to do all the mod options and settings via the GUI than it is to manually edit the lua files.

On March 23, 2016 at 11:42 PM, HexicTheory said:

Awesome!  @Muche  I went ahead and tried that and, it worked like a charm! Thanks for the help. I just had to find the save in the session folder that had files that matched the amount of days I had survived in the world that I wanted to transfer and move it. :D

I'm sorry, but I'm still not quite understanding this. How exactly do you know what files to copy over, and does this transfer all save data, such as items, days survived, characters, everything?

Well, I took the time to examine all files under the save folder (you might need to run ENCODE_SAVES=false; c_save() in the debug console first).

The world save file does contain all the world with all the items that are on the ground and in the containers on the ground.
The player save files (each player has their own folder) does contain all their items, their age (i.e. days survived), character prefab. However, it usually does not contain player's explored map, that is stored on client's computer. Since moving the save to a dedicated server changes the sessionId, the old explored map is not used and player will have to explore again.

hello I would like to start dedi server from the server that I hosted thoought the client.

I copied everything from cluster to mydediserver and copied the world from session as u said, and it's spawning new world all the time :/

Archived