Walani in Dude? Where's My Surfboard?

So this is my Day 147 map with Walani!  What's crazy is the bulk of the island discovery was done in 20 days, no lie.

2016-03-07_00002.thumb.jpg.5f83ac76413ae

In 20 days I found three of the things, the slot machine, a giant herd of about 40 Water Beefalo,  my base (a six biome haven complete with spiders, monkeys, and something else you'll see soon. I also obtained both Doydoys in this time, however I stupidly put them too far away and they bred once in 90 days. I did rectify that and now there are 11-12. Day 25 I found the Sharkitten den and Yaarctopus. Also found several set pieces. That surfboard is AMAZING. More than most think. In 5 days i had 12 boards from hammering crates on beaches. I also never had less than 15 shells unless I made armor. I didn't build a single raft or boat until 20 days AFTER I got iron wind after defeating (barely!!) Sealnado. Also I learned traveling clockwise or counter-clockwise and forcing yourself to stick to that will uncover insane amounts of stuff quickly. I also didn't make a base until around day 27. I basically roamed and dropped backpacks in key places. Luckily I picked the right home base as no other would work quite this perfect. 

I2016-03-07_00009.thumb.jpg.23eb1cb65de9a

Ignore the mess by the chests, I was annoyed with my placement of a few all summer so when summer finally ended I angrily hammered them down haha.  Also I'm sure many others have tried this but if you can, put your base on an island with an ashy/volcanic? turf that's big enough to keep valuables off screen then you can run around dodging dragoon eggs there. A few will hatch and if you get dragoon hearts MAKE 1-2 DENS ASAP. Hounds are no longer an issue (although they came once during an eruption and I almost died of anxiety, it was the last day and dragoons and hounds were fighting over who got to eat my body first lol).

2016-03-07_00014.thumb.jpg.63def742100da

2016-03-07_00010.thumb.jpg.b9018f78892f2

Humble little farm for trees and bamboo. I have enough grass growing around me and I collect enough twigs from nearby islands before dry season and I try to stock up before lightning becomes an issue. Anyways hope this post was neat and Don't Starve peeps.

EDIT: Basically just trying to get the last two keys and then saving Woodlegs...after that I can finally be one with the sea, I will allow the sea to take me and my surfboard. All Walani wanted to do was help others but she's finally realized the futility.... ahahaha so dark. But that's really happening. I might have her go out like a G bombing Water Beefalo but we will see

I'm gonna try using dragoon dens to fight hounds and travelling counterclockwise to explore in the future.

Did you wall off the dragoons or are they on a separate island? When I make dens the dragoons just escape and burn everything.

But yeah. Circular exploration makes so much sense and I'm annoyed at myself for not thinking of that yet...

On 3/8/2016 at 8:51 AM, DeputyDeath said:

I'm gonna try using dragoon dens to fight hounds and travelling counterclockwise to explore in the future.

Did you wall off the dragoons or are they on a separate island? When I make dens the dragoons just escape and burn everything.

But yeah. Circular exploration makes so much sense and I'm annoyed at myself for not thinking of that yet...

The dragoons are on my island, in the mini map hud you'll see. Usually though you will probably have to have a nearby island, on this playthrough I got lucky with this amazing island having every biome lol. But yeah it took me a few deaths before I realized circular was the best. Seriously when I was ready to quit I did map reveal mod for fun and I had discovered every island. Only thing I never found was the volcano. BTW its a shark tooth crown haha thought it looked cool for a screen cap

But yeah 1 dragoon can take 2 hounds lol 

I'm enjoying Walani. That surfboard is so fast and it's very handy that you can retrieve the surfboard. That way I can land one end of the island, retrieve it, walk across the island, and launch on the other end of the island. It's very handy.

Archived