When is caves only coming back?

Caves only was really fun, it was also really challenging. I remember when it was added, and when it was removed.

Is caves only coming back? If so, when?

I'm only making this post now because I thought it would be brought back in some time but, it's been a while now.

(assuming locally-hosted server, not dedicated)

1: launch a normal server with overworld and caves, and immediately close it

2: go to documents\klei\donotstarvetogether\Cluster_XXX (where XXX is the save slot you used)

3: copy the 'save' folder within the 'caves' folder to anywhere

4: delete the server that you just made, remake it with only overworld, immediately close it again

5: delete the 'save' folder within the 'master' folder and replace it with the save you copied earlier

6: launch the server again.

This is the easiest way to make a caves-only server. Note that you will have to repeat the above steps anytime the world gets regenerated, since it will regenerate as an overworld world. If you don't want to have to do that, then you will need to use a dedicated server (which I recommend anyways), or do the following method:

1: right click DST in steam, properties, local files, browse local files

2: go to \data\scripts\map\levels

3: open both caves.lua and survival.lua in your favorite text editor

4: copy everything from caves.lua from the second line down (everything but the require statement), and paste it into the bottom of survival.lua

5: save the file, close, open DST

6: on the new server screen, you should now be able to chose cave worldgen presets on the 'forest' server

This method makes your world generation options screen kinda strange though (the add caves button becomes add forest, and all the same presets are available as in the first server), and when the game updates, survival.lua and caves.lua have a small chance to reset themselves, so you would have to recopy the data into survival.lua. If you just want to create a caves server which you will never have to delete from its save slot however, doing this method should work fine. If you want to get rid of the glitchiness after you create the server, try verifying the cache integrity of DST on steam, and the server should still work.

Archived