DSTDedi - Dedicated servers the easy way

Since the release of caves and changing of the folder structure on dedicated servers I've seen a ton of people having issues setting up their server. The process is sort of all over the place and even those of us who have gotten it working probably find it a bit silly to have all these files and folders scattered around.

Introducing DSTDedi - A wrapper for the DST Dedicated Server written in Groovy.

This program runs on the JVM and therefor requires Java be installed on your system.

What does it do?

The wrapper does some extreme simplification for configuring and managing your server's files.

1. All the Klei .ini files have been merged into a single .lua file called settings.lua. (All settings aren't supported yet.)
  2. modoverrides.lua now only requires a single copy in the root directory and is generated for you. (My other tool DSTConfig is integrated to provide this)
  3. dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua has been moved to the root directory.
  4. cluster_token.txt is required in the root directory.
  5. worldgenoverride.lua for caves is taken care of for you.
  6. Wiping your world and starting fresh is as simple as deleting the DSTDedi/Klei folder.

With this wrapper everything about your server is contained within a single folder next to the wrapper's jar file. No more mods hidden away in the steam folder while your worlds are buried in My Documents.

This program does not alter the dedicated server software in any way. It gets downloaded from Steam on the first run.

This is a pre-release, meaning the software isn't done and might contain a bug or three. I've been using it to run my own server since I started the project and have had no issues.

Notes:

• I've only tested this on Windows (10 to be specific) because I don't have a Linux or Apple machine available. It contains code for Linux/OSX, but you may run into chmod issues depending on permissions settings. (or it might crash all together, but I hope not!)
  • Some files aren't managed by the wrapper yet. These will come in time.
  • This program has no GUI currently. Run it from the console with the command "java -jar DSTDedi-0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar". You will probably want to make a batch/sh file to do this for you. A browser based front-end is in the pipeline.

Downloads page | Instructions (A copy of these is included in the download as well.)

I'm almost ready to release the web front end. I just finished adding authentication so if your server is public no one can mess with your server. You can use a normal username/password combo or sign in through Steam.

Most of the moving parts on the page have been changed from jQuery polling to Websockets. This means it won't work on really old browsers, but everything updates in real-time and is very snappy and responsive.

I need to write up the documentation and finish the launcher for the standalone version and I think we will be good to go public.

Spoiler

feteaser2.thumb.png.13769329c463b44e626a

Spoiler

feteaser3.thumb.png.d67fb06ca4b766f2a8f2

Spoiler

feteaser4.thumb.png.99426a2731b7255243a5

Archived