First mod, need help overriding existing script

Xpyder

I want to solve the issue where running a portable server with Cycle, you don't get the power from the server.
My plan is to modify it to run at the end of the Corps turn

I want to modify the Cycle program to run before all the other programs.
I suspect the easiest way to do this is to change the trigger from (simdefs.TRG_START_TURN) to whatever event marks the end of the corps turn.

- I need to know where I can find triggers, if there isn't a list, I can look up an existing script if anyone knows of one that executes at the end of the corps turn (I MIGHT be able to derive from a combination of end of your turn and start of corps turn if Klei made them all follow the same naming scheme, but I'm not sure what scripts to look for)

- I need to know how to override an existing script.  Do I just put in a copy of the full script with the exact same name or will that duplicate the program?  Can I just modify a single property of the Cycle object?  Is there a better way to do this?

I found where it is in the Mainframe_abilities.lua in the scripts.zip of the dlc .

I downloaded (API EXAMPLE MOD) and it seems pretty straightforward provided I know how to overwrite an existing script and what the necessary trigger is

and thanks in advance

<3 <3 <3

UPDATES:

I dug into it a bit more and I can see how to modify it to run an event on the corps turn, but the code implies that I would be modifying the corps "power" not my own.  I'll need to test once I can figure out how to override the DLC script.

I found a mod that overrides a default script but I don't know how to modify this to reference the DLC abilities
     local mainframe_abilities_base = include("sim/abilities/mainframe_abilities")
I'm guessing its something like this, but I need help with the real path
     local mainframe_abilities_contingencyplan = include("sim/dlc/dlc1/mainframe_abilities")

Here's what I have so far:

Spoiler

[brackets indicate untested pseudocode]

local mainframe_abilities_contingencyplan = [include("sim/dlc/dlc1/mainframe_abilities")]

mainframe_abilities_contingencyplan.cycle = util.extend( mainframe_abilities_contingencyplan.cycle )
    {
        executeAbility = function( self, sim )
            local player = sim:getCurrentPlayer()
            sim:getTags().clearPWREachTurn = nil -- disable old clear tag in case it's enabled mid campaign
            if player:isNPC() then
                sim:dispatchEvent( simdefs.EV_PLAY_SOUND, cdefs.SOUND_HUD_MAINFRAME_PROGRAM_AUTO_RUN )
                sim:dispatchEvent( simdefs.EV_SHOW_WARNING, {txt=STRINGS.DLC1.PROGRAMS.CYCLE.WARNING, color=cdefs.COLOR_PLAYER_WARNING, sound = "SpySociety/Actions/mainframe_gainCPU",icon=self.icon } )
                [sim:getCurrentPlayer():addCPUs( -sim:getCurrentPlayer():getCPUs( ), sim )] -- CPUs reference taken from Siphon Daemon
                player:addCPUs( 3 )
            end

end,

onSpawnAbility = function( self, sim )
            DEFAULT_ABILITY.onSpawnAbility( self, sim )            
            --sim:getTags().clearPWREachTurn = true -- handled in executeAbility
        end,

onDespawnAbility = function( self, sim )
            DEFAULT_ABILITY.onDespawnAbility( self, sim )    
            --sim:getTags().clearPWREachTurn = nil -- handled in executeAbility
        end,

}

On 2/17/2016 at 6:12 PM, Xpyder said:

UPDATES:

I dug into it a bit more and I can see how to modify it to run an event on the corps turn, but the code implies that I would be modifying the corps "power" not my own.  I'll need to test once I can figure out how to override the DLC script.

I found a mod that overrides a default script but I don't know how to modify this to reference the DLC abilities
     local mainframe_abilities_base = include("sim/abilities/mainframe_abilities")
I'm guessing its something like this, but I need help with the real path
     local mainframe_abilities_contingencyplan = include("sim/dlc/dlc1/mainframe_abilities")

Well in New Items and Auguments, there is this line:

local dlc1 = include( "dlc1/itemdefs" )

so I'd guess that the "sim/dlc" part isn't needed in the file path. I'm no expert however.

Yeah, I've been looking at some other mods and it seems that dlc lua's are mounted at 

include( "dlc1/xxx" )

I'm probably going to change how I go about doing it but it's currently crashing whenever I try to load it (are there logs? i'm guessing i'm referencing something I haven't loaded but having trouble tracking it down) and beat my head against it too long so I need to regroup.

Specifically because the power reset is coded into the Start Turn event directly, (not in the program) I'm guessing there might be other things that use that functionality.  So for compatibility, instead I may register an on end of turn event that kind of overrides the default clearPWReachTurn functionality instead of just changing Cycle.

Yeah there is a log. It will probably be under the Invisible Inc folder in your Documents folder. By itself the log isn't too helpful, but if you write to the log in your modifications you can really narrow done where the failure is.

Archived