Beware greifing oldbags

Hey Don't Starve community. I wanted to share my last play session with you all.

It all began on a freshly started world, day 1. As usual I found someone, a Webber, and we started a base, far east of spawn. I painfully recalled the last time I built a base near the Jury-rigged portal. A stray griefing Willow had entered, set our base on fire, and left without as much as a "HAHA TAKE THAT FAGETS"

"Those madwomen will not get me this time", I concluded as I carefully placed our first Science Machine down. A little ways after that I felt the grip of the real world pull my attention, so I had to leave for a bit. After I came back, my comrade had gone. All I ever found was a skeleton north of camp, with some spider eggs and papyrus.

Rest in spaghetti, never forgetti, my friend.

With a slightly heavier heart, I began to spiff up the base a bit, with a crock pot, some bushes, you know, standard stuff.

Eventually other people started finding my base. I carefully regarded these individuals when they asked me if they could stay the night. Eventually I decided that this is Don't Starve Together, and these people were just looking for a place to call a home in this unforgiving world, so I let them stay.

And was pleasantly surprised. These people were genuine! They helped with all their might, striving to help me and eachother. It was absolutely beautiful. I started to care for each of them, regarding them as my comrades. Among them were a Wilson, a Willow (believe it or not!) and a Wickerbottom. Wilson and I grew close, and I respected Willow for revolting against her griefing nature. Wickerbottom provided us with great knowledge, proving her worth more than once.

Winter approached fast and we had through teamwork made a piece of clothing for everyone. No one was going to freeze to death on my watch! But... something terrible happened not long after.

We were all sitting around our firepit, joking, eating and singing songs (well, I felt like singing at least!). A little bit away, Wickerbottom sat, looking at the group with an unreadable expression.

"I'm bored" she said.

I turned to look at her, about to remind her of all the stuff we still have to do to survive. My eyes widened as I watched her hold a purple leathery book aloft reading "On Tentacles"

"Yup." Was all she said as she single-handedly lost all my trust. Tentacles sprouted up around camp, killing my closest friends, Wilson and Willow.

"Just according to Keikaku" Wickerbottom whispered, twisting her lips onto an evil grin. (Translator's note: "Keikaku" means "plan") <<-- The things in this sentence didn't happen, but they should have

Unfortunately for her, and luckily for us, another friend, Webber dashed in through the forest of tentacles and swiped two of the tell-tale hearts we had made for just these kinds of unexpected treason.

Webber leaped over to the spirits of Wilson and Willow, urging them back to fight against the unjustice. They wasted no time grabbing their spears, eager to rid the camp of the tentacles.

In total there were 6 tentacles.

We destroyed them.

ALL.

Wickerbottom muttered, "U steel alive?" dropping a gear as a "reward" for defeating her evil legion. I glared at her, grabbing the gears and whispering to my friends to keep all tentacle spots in their inventories.

Wickerbottom left our camp shortly after, coming back to only to feed of of our resources. It was aggravating to say the least.

When I felt we had gotten back on track again, I left the world to get some food in another one. I bid my farewells and were sent of with the smiles of my friends.

I was gone for a total of 1 hour.

Upon returning I found our base devoid of life. Well, intellegent life at least. All our base were belong to tentacles.

Checking the player list I find only Wickerbottom and I. I confront her. The text below is taken from the "chat log" .txt file:

(JimblesNotronbo was my name, and I've replaced the player's name with "Wickerbottom")

[00:01:46]: [Say] JimblesNotronbo: You really are a monster, you know that?
[00:02:00]: [Say] "Wickerbottom": not realy
[00:02:11]: [Say] "Wickerbottom": just playing)
[00:02:21]: [Say] JimblesNotronbo: How fun
[00:02:58]: [Say] JimblesNotronbo: If you wanted to play single player, why not normal Don't Starve
[00:03:32]: [Say] "Wickerbottom": not fun alone)
[00:03:49]: [Say] JimblesNotronbo: Well, since you killed everyone you pretty much are alone
[00:03:54]: [Say] "Wickerbottom": I not destroy they base, anyway
[00:04:04]: [Say] JimblesNotronbo: Oh really?
[00:04:08]: [Say] "Wickerbottom": just create some chalage
[00:04:15]: [Say] "Wickerbottom": they fail
[00:04:51]: [Say] JimblesNotronbo: I don't understand people like you
[00:05:35]: [Say] JimblesNotronbo: I hope we never cross paths again

Then I left. I actually thought I'd survive winter this time, and I had made such great buddies.

Curse you, griefing madwomen.

I do this sometimes, dashing for the pan flute and then one day, when we're all bored, I wait in the middle of the night, and play them the song of death... then proceed to slaughter them with Abigail and then do a roll back... well, it's when you know the host...

But screwing over people you don't know don't typically end well... I'm sorry for your experience @Nitekap... I can't really say much more in Wickerbottom's defense... I guess "always keep a log suit handy for such occasions" and "hotkeys and in inventory arrangement are your friends". :)

Archived