Allow Followers to Target Nightmare Creatures in Caves/Ruins

So I am posting this to bring to the developers attention an issue that arrises from the unique mechanics of the nightmare creatures also known as sanity monsters. normally these creatures are only spawned when the players sanity is critically low and they spawn in low enough numbers that the players can combat them. Due to their nature as being something akin to hallucinations followers cannot target or attack them. 

This seems like legitimate game mechanics until you reach the cave / ruins levels I have encountered these creatures spawning with full sanity in significant but managable numbers in the sinkhole and worse yet you can run into literal SWARMS of terrorbeaks on full sanity in the ruins. 

This indicates that the creatures become corporeal and visible enough in the ruins to attack the player regardless of sanity. it goes to say that if this is the case than they should be corporeal enough to be perceived and targeted by followers. Now i am not suggesting that they become normal monsters because i like the sanity mechanic and their status as ""hallucinations"" however in sinkhole and ruin environments they should become valid targets for followers simply due to the sheer numbers that spawn in these locations and their ability to ignore sanity level. if anything this the only possible way to allow terror-beak swarms to spawn while maintaining playability since they can move as fast as the player and will continue to wait near the entrance to the ruins indefinitely. If the mechanic of not being valid targets for followers persists than the game needs to seriously clamp down on the maximum number that can spawn in sinkholes / ruins 

Hi @Mikeloeven:)

I agree with the idea of followers being able to target nightmares that spawn from the nightmare fissures, but the issue with their numbers would be due to the fact that the caves are meant to be somewhat inhospitable or at the very least, be very difficult to live in... you have the option of avoiding these nightmares from swarming you with the simple act of timing the "Nightmare Cycle"

Nightmares can also be avoided by using Bush Hats or Snurtle Shell Armor when they haven't targeted you yet and will be a matter of time until the nightmare cycle goes to the calm state again and the nightmares die. O__O

Hope this helps you out. :)

Ah i was not aware of this nightmare cycle. but still nothing wrong with a fair fight after all you have to invest the time gathering followers and than the high damage of the swarms would still cost you a good number of minions. 

Though the automatic death of the creatures should be nerfed as after reading your post the bush hat seems like a overly cheap way to mass farm nightmare fuel

30 minutes ago, Mikeloeven said:

Ah i was not aware of this nightmare cycle. but still nothing wrong with a fair fight after all you have to invest the time gathering followers and than the high damage of the swarms would still cost you a good number of minions. 

Though the automatic death of the creatures should be nerfed as after reading your post the bush hat seems like a overly cheap way to mass farm nightmare fuel

Aha, but before this the nightmares were seemingly too difficult ;)

Well, it's all a matter of preparation as with the rest of the game; the bush hat alone might not be enough given certain circumstances (such as temperature/season, other mobs, hunger, health, and sanity, status, darkness and the like).

Have fun :)

Archived