Why can't I enter the caves on my server?

Everytime I try to go into the caves on my server I get a timeout error of some sort. I am running the server on the same pc as I'm playing on. Other than that I can't think of anything else that would be causing the issue.

Also, does the server continue to progress when no one is connected if I leave it up?

And, how do I set the save settings of the server to save every half day?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for the responses!

Hey @OysterMaker attach your server's log files, that would help diagnose what's happening. Also you were able to access/click the caves' cave_entrance or the sinkhole but upon entering it, you get the timeout error? Did I understand that correctly?

With regards to time progression with a dedicated server, unless you have pause_when_empty = true set in your settings.ini under the network tag then the server will continue simulating the world regardless of whether or not the server has players. The game automatically saves atleast once a day(in-game day) and an in-game day is about 8 minutes real time. 

We do have enable_snapshots = true placed under the network tag in the settings.ini too but I'm not entirely sure how to increase the interval of taking snapshots. Do note that snapshots are what allows admins to rollback the server to a certain point in time. 

Anyways report back with your log.tx files found under your server's root folders in Documents\Klei. Cheers.

Good to hear from you again @Zillvr, you're the man! Yes when I click on the cave to enter, it brings me to a loading screen, then I get a timeout error, the log.txt is attached.

Also, thanks for the info regarding pausing the server, that would have been hard to deal with. It's easier to just leave the server running, ya know? Anyways thanks again.

log.txt

@OysterMaker with regards to the password, the only one you should change is the master server's settings.ini. The caves/slave server autogenerates it's own password once it connects with the master server. You wouldn't need to change the slave server's password. So all good there.

I'm still currently looking at your log.txt file, the file above is your master server's log right? Mind attaching your cave's log too just to see how the caves reacted to the "ID_CONNECTION_ATTEMPT_FAILED" from the master server.

Can you try and delete the save folder's inside the master and slave server's root folders in Documents\Klei? Then start up the server again, I'm not really an expert but from the looks of it, the server sees the attempt but for some reasons blocks off the transfer from the overworld to the caves. Worth a try for now. Report back with the logs again after the timeout error occurs(if it occurs).

Wait, those new logs are run with Command Line Arguments, while the first two you attached early on in this thread had no command line arguments.

From your latest logs, you are hosting Preconfigured Servers correct? So which are you trying to set up? I think we should test with the most basic one first and see if the problem still occurs.

Back up your Preconfigured Servers data folders elsewhere(if you already have configured it with your own server name, password, etc), and Run preconfigured servers again from steam. So you'll just hopefully have the most basic dedicated server up. Then attempt to access the caves, without doing any changes with the settings.ini etc. 

Does the issue still persist?

The command line arguments are just things I was typing in for fun.

I have started a server and have a decent start, when you say back up the data folders, are you referring to the entire folders that the servers are running off of? I don't want to lose this server tbh.. 

Yes, back up the server folder and save them elsewhere so you can test whether or not the issue is with your current settings.ini or with your PC blocking off the connections between your dedicated servers for master and slave.

If you back them up, you won't lose them at all. But if you'd rather not fiddle with it. Then that's ok too. Have fun, cheers.

Archived