Need Help adding Mods to DST Dedicated Server running Mac OSX

Need Help adding Mods to DST Dedicated Server running Mac OSX: post #1 IntuitiveRabbit

Need to know how to and where to put the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua and modsettings.lua files on a mac. I cannot find the correct mods folder to do this.

Thank you in advance

Edited by IntuitiveRabbit

Please help!

I would like to know how to do this also,

Mac OSX running DST Caves Dedicated, how to add mods to the server?

Can not find the mods folder where the modsettings.lua and dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua go.

Please help, someone at Klei must know how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm i not sure how Mac works (Cause i never used one) , but i'm sure that this guild can help you Link for the Don't Starve Wikia Guild about - Dedicated Servers (hosting) , just scroll down to the mods info their (i my self didn't understand some stuff from that guild but i got over it) .

So when you done with everything check look at the console (i not sure what is it called in Mac but in windows it's called "CMD") and look out for anything with an "FILED to load "modoverrides.lua" , in case you got the error you might didn't wrote the "modoverrides.lua" file right because its a bit hard for starters with this ( like me , i'm yesterday hosted my server and played around 2-5 hours trying to figure it out ) .

So how i write the "modoverrides.lua" ? :

easy their is an guild about this Here , Don't Starve Wikia

that should get you up to it , and if you don't know if one of your mods use config options (that means that the mod has options like how much stuff you want to spawn) go to the server folder  "...\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods" , and open one of the folders and click at "modinfo.lua" [That look like this]

-- This information tells other players more about the mod
name = "<name of the mod>"
description = "<the description of the mod>"
author = "<the nice author that spend his time making that mod to help you enjoy or manage the server>"
version = "<Version of the mod it self>"
forumthread = "<Link of the mod in the Kiel Fourms , can be emety>"

-- This lets other players know if your mod is out of date, update it to match the current version in the game
api_version = <this is the number of the version of don't starve that the mod was made for>

-- Can specify a custom icon for this mod!
--icon_atlas = "<useless>"
--icon = "<useless>"

-- Compatability
dont_starve_compatible = <not importend>
reign_of_giants_compatible = <not importend>
dst_compatible = <if its false , this mod isn't compatible with DST , and your server too>

all_clients_require_mod = <if true anyone that joines will download the mod kind of>
clients_only_mod = <i'm not sure what it does>

*LOOK HERE - This is the Modconfiguration if thier is anything inside it copy it from the config.... without - to the last "}" and paste it at .....*
-- ModConfiguration option 
--configuration_options =
--{
--}

priority = 492173795

so if their is anything inside it means that it is an mod with config options , and if its empty like this one it means that the mod isn't using config options.

So i guess you know how to build your "Modoverrides.lua" now but just know if at lest you have one config option mod the lua should start with "Return {...." .

oh and if you don't know how "modoverrides.lua" should look like its something around this with config mods (installed mods Flint For Everyone - script [with options] &nbsp; / and Moderator Commands - Admin Tools [has no options]  )

return { *group 1*
 ["workshop-492173795"] = { enabled = true }, *not the config mod*
["workshop-524615348"] = { enabled = true , *watch out to not place here an "}"*  *is the config mod and its group 3*
configuration_options = 
{ *group 2*
	flint_amount = 6, -- Amount of flint to spawn per player

twig_amount = 0, -- Amount of twigs to spawn per player

grass_amount = 0, -- Amount of grass to spawn per player

wood_amount = 0, -- Amount of wood to spawn per player

stone_amount = 0, -- Amount of stones to spawn per player

flower_amount = 0, -- Amount of flowers to spawn per player

thermalstone_amount = 0, -- Amount of thermal stones to spawn per player

thermalstone_noautumn = true, -- Don't spawn thermal stones in Autumn, true/false

portal_distance = 40, -- Maximum distance from portal to spawn items

min_day = 0, -- Minimum day to start spawning items

expire_time = 0, -- Time to wait before removing old items (0 is never)

owner_only = true, -- If only the owner can pick up the items they spawned, true/false
      } *group 2 end*
   } *group 3 end*
}   *end group 1*

I hope i helped and i'm said i'm not sure how Mac works but i think its the same almost.

Have fun hosting :) (even if its not really fun)

On 1/15/2016 at 11:40 PM, DarkXero said:

Do you guys have (Whatever Mac OSX directory)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server/mods?

modsettings.lua and dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua are there.

When I looked into the DST dedicated server file, there is no such thing as a mod folder (it doesn't show up at all even after exposing all file types on my mac). However, I tried creating such a folder (mod folder) and adding the necessary lua files, but no solution there as nothing happened. 

If anyone knows anyone that could help with this, it would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you for your response, though! I was very excited to see people responding. 

Screenshot 2016-01-18 22.38.54.png

added more detail/added screenshot of file

On 1/15/2016 at 5:53 AM, Richardgaming said:

Hmm i not sure how Mac works (Cause i never used one) , but i'm sure that this guild can help you Link for the Don't Starve Wikia Guild about - Dedicated Servers (hosting) , just scroll down to the mods info their (i my self didn't understand some stuff from that guild but i got over it) .

So when you done with everything check look at the console (i not sure what is it called in Mac but in windows it's called "CMD") and look out for anything with an "FILED to load "modoverrides.lua" , in case you got the error you might didn't wrote the "modoverrides.lua" file right because its a bit hard for starters with this ( like me , i'm yesterday hosted my server and played around 2-5 hours trying to figure it out ) .

So how i write the "modoverrides.lua" ? :

easy their is an guild about this Here , Don't Starve Wikia

that should get you up to it , and if you don't know if one of your mods use config options (that means that the mod has options like how much stuff you want to spawn) go to the server folder  "...\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods" , and open one of the folders and click at "modinfo.lua" [That look like this]

-- This information tells other players more about the mod
name = "<name of the mod>"
description = "<the description of the mod>"
author = "<the nice author that spend his time making that mod to help you enjoy or manage the server>"
version = "<Version of the mod it self>"
forumthread = "<Link of the mod in the Kiel Fourms , can be emety>"

-- This lets other players know if your mod is out of date, update it to match the current version in the game
api_version = <this is the number of the version of don't starve that the mod was made for>

-- Can specify a custom icon for this mod!
--icon_atlas = "<useless>"
--icon = "<useless>"

-- Compatability
dont_starve_compatible = <not importend>
reign_of_giants_compatible = <not importend>
dst_compatible = <if its false , this mod isn't compatible with DST , and your server too>

all_clients_require_mod = <if true anyone that joines will download the mod kind of>
clients_only_mod = <i'm not sure what it does>

*LOOK HERE - This is the Modconfiguration if thier is anything inside it copy it from the config.... without - to the last "}" and paste it at .....*
-- ModConfiguration option 
--configuration_options =
--{
--}

priority = 492173795

so if their is anything inside it means that it is an mod with config options , and if its empty like this one it means that the mod isn't using config options.

So i guess you know how to build your "Modoverrides.lua" now but just know if at lest you have one config option mod the lua should start with "Return {...." .

oh and if you don't know how "modoverrides.lua" should look like its something around this with config mods (installed mods Flint For Everyone - script [with options] &nbsp; / and Moderator Commands - Admin Tools [has no options]  )

return { *group 1*
 ["workshop-492173795"] = { enabled = true }, *not the config mod*
["workshop-524615348"] = { enabled = true , *watch out to not place here an "}"*  *is the config mod and its group 3*
configuration_options = 
{ *group 2*
	flint_amount = 6, -- Amount of flint to spawn per player

twig_amount = 0, -- Amount of twigs to spawn per player

grass_amount = 0, -- Amount of grass to spawn per player

wood_amount = 0, -- Amount of wood to spawn per player

stone_amount = 0, -- Amount of stones to spawn per player

flower_amount = 0, -- Amount of flowers to spawn per player

thermalstone_amount = 0, -- Amount of thermal stones to spawn per player

thermalstone_noautumn = true, -- Don't spawn thermal stones in Autumn, true/false

portal_distance = 40, -- Maximum distance from portal to spawn items

min_day = 0, -- Minimum day to start spawning items

expire_time = 0, -- Time to wait before removing old items (0 is never)

owner_only = true, -- If only the owner can pick up the items they spawned, true/false
      } *group 2 end*
   } *group 3 end*
}   *end group 1*

I hope i helped and i'm said i'm not sure how Mac works but i think its the same almost.

Have fun hosting :) (even if its not really fun)

Hello and thank you for your reply. I have already read that guide several times and it does not mention where the location of the file to where we put the mod files or where the files are. 

Also, we have run the lua files on a windows and everything worked fine. 

I literally just need to know where the file is on a Mac OS... I've read all of the guides that I've found on the wiki and on KLEI forum.

It is seeming that they just do not have support for this, which is very frustrating as you can host regular games with mods and it works perfectly fine. 

It is nothing like the windows version.

Thank you, though. 

Hi IntuitiveRabbit

i going show you example with terminal:

151231041650720428.jpg

151231041650541139.jpg

here's an example where you can find path directory of dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua and modsettings.lua

on Mac OS X:

160119054623326964.jpg

if dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua doesn't exist, you need to create him like screenshot

--

if you want make custom settings of your mods, let the file modsettings.lua empty, and use the file modoverrides.lua found here:

160119054623937680.jpg

if modoverrides.lua doesn't exist, you need to create him like screenshot

Edited by ToNiO55

Found the folder and got it to work! By the way, thank you Toni for your response (I just figured it out this way before I saw your way! Thanks! ) 

Here's the walkthrough of how I found it. 

You have to expose your steamapps file: 

Then you have to right click your dedicatedserver renderer app and "show package contents" 

Then go to contents and go to mods folder. You will have to create the dedicated server lua file and then modify the modsettings lua file (same set up as windows: tutorial on this forum by Toni).

The folder should look like that after you try running the server (your steam will download the mods and you shouldn't try to run the don't starve together app until all of the mods are downloaded) (the terminal will load all of it's stuff, photo attached) 

Problem is solved and runs great! Hope this helps anyone that was having the same problem. 

Also, my server then showed up in my LAN. 

Screenshot 2016-01-18 22.38.54.png

Screenshot 2016-01-18 22.59.55.png

Screenshot 2016-01-18 23.00.03.png

Screenshot 2016-01-18 23.58.44.png

Screenshot 2016-01-19 00.00.27.png

Screenshot_2016-01-18_23.40.02.png

added more detail