Aftermath

Aftermath

This story takes place after the events of Checkmate.

A fictional Don't Starve Together story.

The four of us ran back to our base. It was late spring, and we took the long hike back to the portal, and revived. It was a long journey to the base, about a day's walk. This meant we were away for a day already, who knew what the evil robot had done to our base. Once we got back, we saw the ruins of our once great base. It had been razed to the ground, we looked on the ground for anything. Most of it was gone, even the corpses had been looted. Even the fire pit had been hammered, this was a truly crushing defeat. We pooled our twigs and grass together and crafted a hammer with the remains of the fire pit. We hammered everything that was left down, at least we had boards to fuel the fires we would need. We built a campfire and gathered around it. Nobody said anything, but Wilson broke the silence. "It's gone, everything is gone" he groaned. Wickerbottom remained silent, but Wendy spoke. "How are we supposed to recover from this Wilson?". I didn't know. Summer was in about seven days. We had no base, no food, and no clothing for summer.

Wilson didn't answer Wendy's question. As day came the four of us split up. I went to find food, Wickerbottom and Wendy would find sticks, and Wilson would find the location for a new base. I picked the nearby berries, but didn't find anything interesting. Soon the four of us huddled around a campfire, discussing our plans. Wilson had a spear and grass suit, Wickerbottom had an axe and Wendy had no weaponry. Wickerbottom advised we hunt a koalefeant, since my berries were not enough to feed four people. Sure enough, in the morning we began the hunt. We found tracks and eventually found a beast by dusk. An ewecus. I didn't have time to react, Wickerbottom was hit by the slime-kick combo and died instantly. I quickly grabbed her spear, but Wilson was slimed. I charged the beast, hitting it with my spear, and taking two nasty hits in the process. I only had 30 health, and I ran back as Wendy and Abigail attacked. Abigail stalled long enough for Wilson to finish off the ewecus. We built a campfire as night quickly fell, now we had a ghost with us. Wilson said it would be easier to just revive her here. I disagreed, we didn't have health to spare, but she stayed anyways. Then I saw a light coming to our fire. I thought it was WX-78, who had found us and was going to finish us off, but instead it was Wes. He had a lantern, top hat and backpack. We joined us by our fire and offered us a deal. "You help me get my krampus sack, I'll save you from your certain death in the summer". It was a unanimous decision. Wes revived Wickerbottom and gave us all some jerky, which we ate greedily. We spent the next day armouring up. With Wes' help, we all had spears, football helmets and log suits. We looked like an army, an army led by a mime with magic balloon powers.

Wes told us he knew where WX-78's base was. I thought this was quite strange, as after stealing that stuff I would have expected him to spend at least until winter on the run. Wes led us there, the base was inside the Dragonfly's biome. It was a square of stone walls with some things in the middle. There was two layers of stone walls. A drying rack, two crock pots, a tent, it seemed pretty regular. Except for the telelocator focus in the middle of the stuff, it had all three gems, too. I theorized that this was WX-78's escape plan. Then I noticed something, nearby a dragonfly had been penned in a separate compartment of the little fort. Wes realized what was happening and tried to warn us, but it was too late. WX-78 had penned the gap we got in from with a moon rock wall, trapping us in. I only saw him for a moment, but he had a telelocator staff in hand and was close to the dragonfly. I realized what was happening, he had made an elaborate fake base to lure us in and then pen us in with a dragonfly. His plan had worked, and now we had to fight the dragonfly. It warped in as WX-78 used the telelocator staff on in. It was five of us against the dragonfly, but it had 27,000 health. This would be a real battle.

The five of us charged the molten insect, and began tanking him, all attacking together. We tanked him for about 4 seconds and then retreated, running around on fire. We charged again, except for Wes, who began placing gunpowder to try and blow through the walls. Howeverbecause of the toughness of the walls, it would take several consecutive detonations to blow an exit for us. We had to stall until Wes could trigger the explosives. Wendy and Wilson charged, while Wickerbottom and I stayed back to move in once they landed their hits. We worked in unison, kiting the beast and taking turns swinging. However, Wes wasn't having much luck, WX-78 kept spamming water balloons after he realized what Wes was up to. Things began to fall apart, Wilson's armour was completely broken, forcing him on wall duty with Wes. Wendy was caught in the triple stomp attack, and Wickerbottom had to tank to let Wendy escape. Meanwhile, Wes had ditched the gunpowder idea and was breaking through the wall with a hammer, but WX-78 wouldn't let it happen, he kept freezing both Wes and Wilson. I knew his staff was almost out of durability though, we only had to stall a little longer. But, Wendy took her last swipe from the dragonfly and died, leaving only me and a weakened Wickerbottom to fight the insect. Wes and Wilson had broken through the wall, giving chase to the dastardly robot. I debated retreat, but knew that this dragonfly had little health left and that me trying to escape would likely leaving Wickerbottom confused. I decided to fight, and we almost finished off the dragonfly. But night fell, forcing us to retreat the craft torches, which meant we took a couple huts from the dragonfly, breaking our armour. We managed to escape, but since the dragonfly was faster than us, we kept getting hit from behind.

I ran up to Wickerbottom with my torch, letting her attack the beast while Wendy and I held the lights. She killed the beast. We had done it, killing the insanely hard to kill insect. Wickerbottom picked up the goods as day broke, and we started off trying to meet up with Wes and Wilson, who had been successful in killing WX-78. Upon meeting up with them at the beginning of summer, we discovered that Wes had not reclaimed his Krampus Sack. Wes told us he thought that WX-78 had stashed it in the caves prior to the battle with the dragonfly. I thought it was a shame, but Wes had got most of his things back. Wes helped us rebuild out base, this time with extra flingomatics, and helped fund our drying rack reconstruction. But, as all was well in our new base, I wondered what had become of WX-78 and the Krampus Sack...

Archived