Dedicated Server Startup Problems after rebooting machine

Hi All,

I wanted to raise an issue (that I resolved) that came up for me today on my DST dedicated Server. I'm running a single dedicated server (as well as a cave shard) on Ubuntu 14.04.

Here's what happened. I was logged into my system and it froze. The steam user that the server was running on, however, did not freeze. I needed to reboot my system so that I could use it, so I SSH'd in to the steam user from my laptop and did a c_save() and c_shutdown() for the master DST server and a c_shutdown() on the cave shard, then rebooted my system.

When I logged back into the steam user to relaunch my DST server (by running the start_dst.sh script), it would fail to launch.

What had happened was, a new, but empty snapshot had been created for the server to load from, and was causing the launch to fail. By deleting the new, empty snapshot, I was able to then launch the server again.

I'm not sure if the empty snapshot was created because I ran the c_save()/c_shutdown(), or for some other reason. Either way, I hope this helps if anyone encounters this problem in the future.

Archived