Suggestion: Ice Islands, more Mobs, and Insanity Effects

So, I love having ideas. They're cool. They're fun.

Biomes

Ice Islands

This would be a large change for the game. To have 1 or 2 islands created to be cold-based. The longer you stay on an Ice Island, it would make you colder. Ice Islands could have their own biomes, like an Icy Shore replacing the beach, or a geyser area taking over as the version of the volcanic biomes. The Krissures could be geysers, and could make you even colder if you stay near them. These islands could help surviving the Volcano Season. They could have their own enemy types, such as a Blue Hound naturally spawning.

Mobs

Lemming

These things would be so cute! They could spawn from lemming burrows, a naturally spawning object, and walk around on the snow. They could be tamed with seeds, and help keep you warm if you stand next to them. [i guess they could be really fuzzy?] and help you fight. If you attack one, they would all try to fight you, and I suppose they would be small, but strength in numbers. Of course, if you kill one, it would give you a morsel, and maybe wool.

Dart Frog

Meh. I was on the fence of suggesting this in the first place, but we could potentially have a type of frog that is poisonous. I think it should be much slower than the regular frog, and the tongue should not be as long. It could probably be a yellow and black or orange and blue palette swap. I'm not sure where it could be found, but maybe the meadows biome sounds good. We already have the Spider Warriors and Snakes in the Jungle, and having the poison frogs be in the Jungle make it an even less desirable spot to call home, with all the Apes.

Sea Lion/Sealion

I have two ideas for these.

The first is if they appeared in the ocean. They could take the appearence of a shark with a male lion head. (With the mane as well). If they appear in the ocean, they should replace Sea Hounds, because while Sea Lion may seem strange, it is a real animal, and would play into the Don't Starve factor of mix-and-matching critters, with a Lion FIsh! (And a Lionfish is yet, a real thing in the real world.)

And then if they appear on the islands. They could look like seals, (The name comes into play once more, with the name of Sealion, combining both creatures) and could be the new beefalo. Since we do already have another type of beefalo, these ones could reproduce on the beach biomes, and during a certain season, they would repopulate with baby Seal Lions. I guessssssss they would be territorial? They could drop blubber or wool, and meat as well.

Insanity

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/59790-suggestion-more-darkness-and-insanity/#entry693178

I submitted my ideas for insanity there, but I'll break down my favourites here as well.

Instead of the Shadow Hands, we could have Mini Tikis who scurry up in the night and try to take your fire. [Credit to FateWeaver for the idea of stealing light] I think they should be faster than the hands, but they have tiny fingers themselves, and so would take a lot less light when they steal. It could definitely make the night-time seem hectic.

And while being insane at sea, there could be these shadowy squid tentacles that rise up from the water to try to damage your boat or raft you come close to them.

Mmm. More lame ideas! Hurray! Let me know what you guys thought of these.

Insanity

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/59790-suggestion-more-darkness-and-insanity/#entry693178

I submitted my ideas for insanity there, but I'll break down my favourites here as well.

Instead of the Shadow Hands, we could have Mini Tikis who scurry up in the night and try to take your fire. I think they should be faster than the hands, but they have tiny fingers themselves, and so would take a lot less light when they steal. It could definitely make the night-time seem hectic.

Mind putting a little credit there for me writing the original concept of them being little beings who steal light, as that was my original idea and we kinda colaborated on them turning into Tikis? I did the same for you on my thread. Sorry, I get kinda protective of my little thought babies. :wilson_dorky:

Mind putting a little credit there for me writing the original concept of them being little beings who steal light, as that was my original idea and we kinda colaborated on them turning into Tikis? I did the same for you on my thread. Sorry, I get kinda protective of my little thought babies. :wilson_dorky:

Shoe thang.

I forgot that it was your idea to have them steal all light. :p I was just thinking about the hands. 

i don't think anything involving ice should be in this DLC... It is focused on a tropical setting, and if you've ever been to the tropics you would know that there aren't icebergs, or ice covered islands, etc. 

I think Klei's focus on heat, and wetness are the keys playing fields here and so far they have done a wonderful job with them. freezing to death in the tropics is one of the least likely occurrences. 

That being said... I really like you idea's for mobs, and i hope that Klei and Capy will be adding more... tropical climates are the most bio-diverse climates in the world and as such we should expect DSS to be filled with living things (benevolent and malevolent alike). :)

Archived