Custom Item, Help Needed

Donnervogel

So a friend an I are trying to make custom items in Don't Starve, and I've created new .tex files for the artwork (which for now is just a Garland in Sepiatone). The anim folders usually have the atlas-0.tex and two .bin files (anim.bin and build.bin). I had assumed these files are what told the game which parts of the .tex file went where, so I just copied them from the Garland's anim folder. However, the game would crash whenever I tried to make a server with the mod turned on. I ended up removing the .bin files entirely, so now the game runs fine, but the item is invisible. Should I have .bin files and if so, how do I get them to work properly?

XML files are used :D You have to edit them to the right name, and they can't both be Garland :D You also have to change the build of the build.bin if it's there :D Otherwise the xml should say SepiaGarland or whatever its called and the tex should be named that also :D

Think of it like a Netflix and Chill scenario :D The XML is the wife who thinks only of the Tex, the male :D The male can be used with many different female XMLs that do different things, but it should only be with the first one who does it right :D Good on you Ted the Tex :D Now get that cindy.xml out of your mind :D

Where might I be able to find the Garland's .xml to use as a basis, and where would I put it for the item?

Also how do I do the thing to the build.bin file

Also how come after sifting through every file in hat item mods I've downloaded doesn't have .xml files for anything other than the inventory icon, which happens to display correctly.

TL;DR: I have no idea what I'm doing tbh

Firstly, I suggest you take a look at Malacath's tutorial on creating items. It is really well done, and should tell you everything you need to know about the basic mod production pipeline.

Secondly, you posted this in the wrong place. This is Kleislist, a subforum for offering, requesting, and negotiating artistic services such as asset creation and writing. Additionally, this is the Don't Starve forum, not the DST forum.

Archived