Friends & I are unable to join my dedicated server.

Around one month back I followed the instructions from http://imgur.com/a/1KTwM and set up a dedicated server for overworld + caves. My friends and I were able to successfully join my game and travel to and from caves with no issues.

We haven't played DST for around 1 month now, and when we went to go play last night, neither my friends nor I were able to join my dedicated server. When I attempt to join my server I'm stuck at an endless "connecting" pop up. If my friends attempt to join they'll sit at a connecting window for several minutes, after which they get a generic message along the lines of "unable to connect to the server, try yelling louder!"

Note: I haven't changed anything since setting up the dedicated server.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Hi @motherfax,

can you share log.txt of your server overworld and cave please?

I've attached the two logs after starting up my server & cave .bat files. While the server was open I attempted to connect and was unsuccessful so I exited the game while the server was running. If you need any more information please let me know. Thanks!

LOG_Caves.txt

LOG_Server.txt

@motherfax,

i don't really see error in your log.txt

do you have some error when you try to connect on server?

do you have try to delete folder save on both server? and after restart your both servers?

Hi thanks for checking out the logs!

When I attempt to connect to my server I'm not prompted with any errors/messages. When I try to connect I get the "connecting..." pop-up and it will stay this way for as long as I'm attempting to connect. I've let it sit for ~30 minutes and I have yet to receive any type of error message.

I've uninstalled absolutely everything (Don't Starve, Don't Starve Together Beta, Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server Tool) and re-installed everything four times now. Nothing I've tried seems to help.

Hi @motherfax,

thx for your information, so it's server dedicated on your same computer or on other computer? or rent with host professionnal?

can you share your both settings.ini of your server overworld and cave please?

can you also share your log.txt of your game after you try to connect on your server (Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\log.txt)

I need also to try to connect on your server, your server can stay online? can you give me the name of your server for test connexion?

Hi @ToNiO55, 

Yes, this is a dedicated server. I was playing on and hosting this server from the same computer a month ago with no issues.

I've attached the two .ini settings (caves + overworld) to this post in addition to the log.txt.

I'll leave the server running for now, the name of the server is Dwookieville. There is no password.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Cave settings.txt

Server settings.txt

Game Log.txt

@motherfax,

i have try to connect on your server and yes it's doesn't works

so your settings.ini looking good also

i think it's problem with your network, because devs have change something on that (NAT)

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/58517-caves-beta-october-15th-update/

New features and improvements:    NAT Traversal for dedicated servers.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/58536-caves-beta-october-16th-update/

Dedicated servers should now be reachable via Steam NAT traversal system without needing to manually open ports.

removed your steam port in both settings.ini and try again to connect (before save your both settings.ini)

if still doesn't works, do you have open port on your router? if yes, removed and try to connect again

do you used static IP adress on your computer?

Hey, good news!

I got the server up and running (with your last suggestion)!

I deleted both the steam master server port + steam authentication pot from the .ini setting files for the caves + overworld. After deleting these and starting up the server both my friends and I were able to successfully join!

Thanks a lot for all the help, it means a lot to me! :happypigs:

So we're about 20 minutes into playing right now, I figured since the overworld was working the caves would work as well. Unfortunately I was wrong in assuming that, so now my friends and I are able to get into the server but when we attempt to enter caves we get an error message:

The server is not responding.
Try yelling louder?
Reason: Direct connection timed out.

I'll fiddle with a few things tonight and see if I can figure it out myself. 

@ToNiO55

Sorry to put you through all the trouble. 

I've left the server_port & master_port's in the settings.ini files, I didn't touch those. I deleted a few of the extra things (vote kick / pause while inactive) just to make things as simple as possible. I've attached the updated .ini files.

I've also attached the two new server logs after attempting to enter the caves and getting the error message i mentioned before. Going through the cave server logs I saw a few things that stood out but I wasn't able to solve any of my problems or figure out why i was getting these messages:

dst_server log

[00:00:59]: [sHARD] CLOSE CONNECTION for 232188382
[00:00:59]: CloseConnectionWithReason: ID_DST_SHARD_SILENT_DISCONNECT

dst_cave log

[00:00:07]: [Warning] SteamGameServer_Init Failed
[00:00:07]: Your server will still start, but some Steam functionality may be missing.

DST Server Log Update.txt

DST cave log update.txt

new cave settings.txt

new server settings.txt

I think I've solved it, I'm not sure exactly why it worked though...I added back the steam master server port and steam authentication port to the caves settings.ini file and now I can enter caves successfully. I'll have to see if other people can join it later and go to and from the caves without problems.

Archived