Anyone else unable to play with friends anymore? - Game broken?

A week ago, my girlfriend and I could easily play together. I'd host a server with about 12 mods on it, she'd join, it'd be fine and we were getting decently far. Then, all of a sudden, her game keeps force-closing itself, saying it's "run out of memory" yet literally nothing has changed?
She re-installs, I start a new server with no mods, incase that's the problem, then when she finally is able to join and not crash, her map is different to mine. She has the sea, when I have a plains land. I have the sea, when she has a swamp. (these are examples, not necessarily fact).
So I suggest she hosts the server, then we have the exact same issue. The sea appears for me when it shouldn't - she can walk on the water on my screen. 

Any help?

To clarify, which operating system are each of you using? Also, did this occur immediately following an update to DST, or a system update to drivers or libraries that might concern DST? Have you yourself tried reinstalling? Can either of you play properly on public servers?

Additionally, I believe this topic belongs in the Bug Reports subforum.