Remote commands broken?

Before I fill out a bug report, I'm wondering if I just missed an update or change, or if this is just me having this issue.

Normally when I play Don't Starve Together, I diligently avoid using the console to cheat, but today I thought I'd have a little bit of fun and spawn some slurpers while me and my buddy were playing.  I used to be able to bring up the console, press the left control key to switch to "Remote" mode, then run c_spawn("slurper"), for example.

So I bring up the console, hit the left control key, but unlike before when the word "Remote" appeared to the left of the command line, it didn't show any indication that I was in remote mode.  I could spawn a slurper, but only I saw it; my buddy couldn't see it (although he could be attacked by it).

Has something changed so that remote commands are run differently now?  I actually pondered the possibility that if you're hosting a DST instance on your machine, maybe ALL commands are considered "remote", but why couldn't he see the slurper that was spawned?  Obviously the server was considering it real because it attacked and killed him, is this a known glitch, or am I doing something wrong?

@TonyV:

No changes here.

Only clients of a server can make the "remote" appear. Only people playing via "Host Game" don't have the "remote".

If you have a dedicated server, and you connect via LAN from your machine, you still have the "remote".

The slurpers are cave content. As such, they are missing network functionality.

Therefore, your friend didn't receive the information from the server to spawn a slurper.

He would receive damage though, that information does propagate.

You can use this mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=503187227

that enables the generation of cave biomes in the overworld, with fixes for the creatures like the slurper.

Archived