Necessity of Fire Dart and traps

I tried to get into the use of fire darts but till now i think they aren't very useful. It's kind of hard to make some and at first i thougt they would help to kill this giant trees or so but they didn't work on it. Yes he's on fire for a short time but then its out again and nothing happens and i used many arrows against it.Same is if you use it against spiders or other things. They just don't work well in comparison to a few pine cones stick into the ground around the object you want to burn down and simply use a torch for that. The cones and torch work much better. The darts a much to expensiv to make if you have in mind that every now and than while you farm the red feathers a red devil appears to steal from you. (so you spawn more enemies whyle you want to have a useful weapon)Same to the traps. They seem to be almost useless. I build a few tooth trap and used it against different kind of enemys. First i thought i coul trap some bufallos in it but that doesn't work. Only thing they do damage to are those little spiders and they are not a real problem to deal with. Same to the bee mine. Really cool thing but almost worthless cause every time i set it, some kind of random thing released it and the bees don't do much damage to anything. Till now the only way to get rid of enemies seems to be close combat (or that torch and pine thing) or swine combat. And that is very sad cause i wanted to introduce this game to a few people who are not that good at what you need to survive a close combat in most cases ( reflexes) :)but maybe they are fine with using swines for that purpose