40fps Poor for GTX980 or normal ?

Played DS back in early access, but not played it since then. Didn't really get great fps back then, but that was on an older PC and, well, it was early access. The new system has 2x GTX980's (but only using one with DS). Anyway, on the new system, i'm getting about 32-47 fps. This seems kinda low to me. Is this about normal fps for DS(RoG) ?

Thanks.

SPEC:

Intel Core i7 5930k (6 core) @ 4.2Ghz
Asus X99-S motherboard
16Gb Corsair DDR4 2800Mhz
2x SLI MSI GTX 980 (Core: 1290 / Mem: 1783)
2x 500Gb SSD's (Raid 0)
Corsair 1000w PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit

That doesn't seem quite right. Do you have any mods installed?

I have two gtx 980s SLI and I get a constant 60 frames as I have the refresh rate locked at 60.

Yeah I have a few installed. I've tried disabling them all and restarting the game, but the fps is still around 30-40, even when no mods are active.

It's kinda weird because other games like Dying Light and Farcry 3 & 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition all get between 70-100 fps easily. But Don't Starve which I would assume is a far less graphically demanding game, is performing poorly.

I only started the game up once, prior to installing mods. But I could have sworn that the fps was a fixed 60 that first time I ran it. But I dunno, maybe that was just what I was expecting to see, so thats why I remember it that way.

That doesn't seem quite right. Do you have any mods installed?

I have two gtx 980s SLI and I get a constant 60 frames as I have the refresh rate locked at 60.

Pak, you mention you get a constant 60 frames. Are you running a vanilla game, i.e. no mods ?

hah, god no, far from it. I WAS running like 100+ mods, some of them semi-large. I've compacted them into one now, and it actually runs better that way. 

Do you have the most up to date versions of the drivers?

hah, god no, far from it. I WAS running like 100+ mods, some of them semi-large. I've compacted them into one now, and it actually runs better that way. 

Do you have the most up to date versions of the drivers?

I'm running the 347.09 set. Unfortunately I had issues with both the Jan & Feb sets if a few games. So I rolled back and i'm holding off on updating for the moment. The 347.09 is by a long way the most stable set on this system at the moment. But the 347.09 set is only like a couple of months old. And DS:RoG was released in April last year wasn't it. The 347.09 set should work fine.

I dunno what to think now. I just lost like 4 hrs work in DS when fire dragonfly giant appeared in my base and one shot me lol, because he appeared right at the moment it was changing from night to dawn, and the fps in game for me drops to 10-12fps at the day/night transitions :(

Out of interest, when you install a mod in DS, is it like in skyrim, where some mods can introduce permanent changes that remain set even after the mod is un-installed ? As I was under the impression that DS mods were kept kind of semi-separate, only injecting there changes on a temporary basis each time on startup, kinda like the way when hotfix's are released for games, to temporally fix issues until a proper patch comes out.

Yeah, it isn't the cards unless they are defective, hardware is fine, look at your software, keep a backup of your current driver and then install the latest ones and do a test in don't starve and see if it changes anything, if it does well, you will still probably want to roll back

Yeah i don't think it's the cards in terms of hardware, because if it was, then there would be probs in all other games too. I may wait till the next driver set is up in march. That way I will hopefully be able to just keep that set installed, without any rollbacks.

And also maybe uninstall DS. I'm hoping if I unsubscribe from all the mods first, then uninstall DS, then also delete any remaining DS related folders on the drive. Maybe then i'll be able to remove all traces of the mods, and then reinstall DS in a clean state. Because my gut is telling me that it's one or more of the mods. But which ever one it is, has messed up the DS install in some permanent way. Which is why fps is crappy even when all mods are off. I'm betting it was an out of date one, or maybe none RoG compatible one.

Anyway, i'll give it all a whirl. And if it still doesn't fix things, then i'll most likely come back to the this thread  :-)

Thanks.

Ok so I finally figured out why the fps is so choppy. It's not drivers or mods, or settings or conflicts or anything like that. It appears to be a resolution issue. Basically it seems that if I run DS in anything other than wide screen format (16:9), the fps tanks. So I assume that DS is optimized and designed to be run in that format. Since my monitor is not a wide screen format, i'm having to run DS in window mode. When I do this I basically get a constant 60fps (57-60ish) So it's unfortunate, oh well. But at least I finally figured it out.

Just thought i'd post back, so if anyone else ever has similar issue, this is the fix.

Archived