Having issues with my Character mod

Hello ,

i just recently started working on my character for dont starve and i followed

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/20336-creating-your-own-character/ -This guide i found here to the tee and have had no luck :( . Can some one take a look at my character and tell me whats going wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Tybalt.zip

@Tbalthrope Please describe what isn't working. For example, if the game crashes, specify what makes it crash (when you create the world, or when the game starts, etc).

If your character isn't showing up, you may need to set RoG compatibility to true in your modinfo.

A lot of the new modders don"t know about modinfo.lua. Many of the tutorials don't cover that you need to Include it. That and modicons. Best thing they need to do is to search for "donotstarve" in the windows start menu, and look at the log.txt that is there. From there, it will give them some basic info to report.

For instance (not that it's me or nothing) cannot find mycharecterbrains.lua and then generally the lua line where the error generated.

Speaking of errors, blueberrys, any way I can pm you with some questions? I don't want to publicize my mod anymore then I have, and I want to make sure if what I am thinking of is the right path in correcting a really bad mess.

@RedRock911 I completely agree that the log is very helpful, but many times these problems are common and can be solved easily without having to go through posting/reading it.

The OP did not describe the problem at all (other than "have had no luck", which doesn't really say anything). I'm assuming no one responded because they would have to figure out what's wrong before they can try to figure out a solution, and that's just extra effort which could have been easily avoided. Also, considering that different people have experience in different areas (code, textures, tools, etc), a little detail would make it easier for people to know whether they are even able to help or not. Hence, my suggestion of explaining the issue first.

Sure, you can pm me. I don't really see why you need to ask, haha.

@RedRock911 I completely agree that the log is very helpful, but many times these problems are common and can be solved easily without having to go through posting/reading it.

The OP did not describe the problem at all (other than "have had no luck", which doesn't really say anything). I'm assuming no one responded because they would have to figure out what's wrong before they can try to figure out a solution, and that's just extra effort which could have been easily avoided. Also, considering that different people have experience in different areas (code, textures, tools, etc), a little detail would make it easier for people to know whether they are even able to help or not. Hence, my suggestion of explaining the issue first.

Sure, you can pm me. I don't really see why you need to ask, haha.

Yah, hahaha! I've seen that a lot. It's because new modders ring the fire bell at the first error IMO. I do that every now and again too, being one of them. But before I do, I take a look at my log, run my toon I'm spriter to see if it fires up, and then check my file structure (usually against someone else's mod. For me, that's S.O.P. Modding in DS takes a lot of personal detective work.

Also, informing someone of what "don't work" helps.

1.create

2.fail

3. Troubleshoot

4. Retry

5. Repeat until i see a change

6.3rd time I post , lol or if I know I'm doing something completely wrong.

But I post what's wrong. Seems to me the op doesn't know what's wrong, they just keep firing up the game and it crashes. Instead of doing an investigation on the matter. Which in turn, they maybe fresh out of the egg and not know what or how to figure out there errors just yet (psssst....it's in the log new modded person!)

Yah, hahaha! I've seen that a lot. It's because new modders ring the fire bell at the first error IMO. I do that every now and again too, being one of them. But before I do, I take a look at my log, run my toon I'm spriter to see if it fires up, and then check my file structure (usually against someone else's mod. For me, that's S.O.P. Modding in DS takes a lot of personal detective work.

Also, informing someone of what "don't work" helps.

1.create

2.fail

3. Troubleshoot

4. Retry

5. Repeat until i see a change

6.3rd time I post , lol or if I know I'm doing something completely wrong.

But I post what I think is wrong.Seems to me the op doesn't know what's wrong, they just keep firing up the game and it crashes. Instead of doing an investigation on the matter. Which in turn, they maybe fresh out of the egg and not know what or how to figure out there errors just yet (psssst....it's in the log new modded person!)

But I post what's wrong. Seems to me the op doesn't know what's wrong, they just keep firing up the game and it crashes. Instead of doing an investigation on the matter. Which in turn, they maybe fresh out of the egg and not know what or how to figure out there errors just yet (psssst....it's in the log new modded person!)

Even if that was the case, they could at least say that the game crashed so we could ask for the log, knowing that it probably contains the information to fix it. It's possible that the game didn't crash, but the mod isn't working as intended due to something else, in which case the log might not be very helpful anyways without adding print statements to the code.

I apply the mod and when I start from there the game crashes it doesn't give a reason or a helpful message that says anything unfortunately I think I did modify the modinfo.Lua that's the one that asks what version of the game and name of char and stuff yes?

I apply the mod and when I start from there the game crashes it doesn't give a reason or a helpful message that says anything unfortunately I think I did modify the modinfo.Lua that's the one that asks what version of the game and name of char and stuff yes?

The first couple of times the game told me that the code was off in certain areas like I forgot a wod some where in the template so I went back fixed it but now all I get after mod boot is a black screen followed by the app crashing ... yes iam very new to mod ding the only real thing I was confident about was the sprite in haha I try ed my best with the codeing but iam very noobish at it ... very fresh from the egg lol

Archived