Help with Code - Growable Crops

MidrealmDM

Originally posted here ( http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/50676-growable-crop-seeds/ )

I have written up some new crops and crop seeds and the prefabs for them work fine.

You can feed the items to a caged bird and it makes the proper seeds and those will grow the right crop.

But what I can't seem to do is get the generic seeds found in the game to have a chance to produce these new crops.

I have found a set of data in veggies.lua in the game prefab folder that defines the weight for the chance of given seeds to grow into certain crops.

How can I insert additional data into the veggies.lua or failing that give a chance to grow my crops instead?

from veggies.lua

VEGGIES =
{
carrot = MakeVegStats(COMMON,    TUNING.CALORIES_SMALL,    TUNING.HEALING_TINY,    TUNING.PERISH_MED, 0, TUNING.CALORIES_SMALL,    TUNING.HEALING_SMALL,    TUNING.PERISH_FAST, 0),

corn = MakeVegStats(COMMON, TUNING.CALORIES_MED,    TUNING.HEALING_SMALL,    TUNING.PERISH_MED, 0, TUNING.CALORIES_SMALL,    TUNING.HEALING_SMALL,    TUNING.PERISH_SLOW, 0),

pumpkin = MakeVegStats(UNCOMMON,    TUNING.CALORIES_LARGE,    TUNING.HEALING_SMALL,    TUNING.PERISH_MED, 0, TUNING.CALORIES_LARGE,    TUNING.HEALING_MEDSMALL,    TUNING.PERISH_FAST, 0),

-- other crops, etc. etc.

}

The game file seeds.lua actually interprets the data to determine the chance of growing different crops.

local function pickproduct(inst)

local total_w = 0
    for k,v in pairs(VEGGIES) do
        total_w = total_w + (v.seed_weight or 1)
    end

local rnd = math.random()*total_w
    for k,v in pairs(VEGGIES) do
        rnd = rnd - (v.seed_weight or 1)
        if rnd <= 0 then
            return k
        end
    end

return "carrot"
end

Here is what I was trying -- it doesn't work (that I can tell) but it isn't crashing the game either.... so its either not doing anything or doing something that doesn't matter.

This was placed in my modmain.lua

NEWVEGGIES =
{
    crop1 = MakeVegStats(RARE,    TUNING.CALORIES_SMALL,    TUNING.HEALING_SMALL,    TUNING.PERISH_FAST, 0,
                                    TUNING.CALORIES_SMALL,    TUNING.HEALING_MEDSMALL,    TUNING.PERISH_SUPERFAST, TUNING.SANITY_SUPERTINY),

crop2 = MakeVegStats(UNCOMMON,    TUNING.CALORIES_SMALL,    TUNING.HEALING_SMALL,    TUNING.PERISH_FAST, 0,
                                    TUNING.CALORIES_TINY,    TUNING.HEALING_TINY,    TUNING.PERISH_SUPERFAST, 0),

crop3 = MakeVegStats(RARE,    TUNING.CALORIES_TINY,    TUNING.HEALING_SMALL,    TUNING.PERISH_FAST, 0,
                                    TUNING.CALORIES_SMALL,    TUNING.HEALING_MEDSMALL*2,    TUNING.PERISH_SUPERFAST, TUNING.SANITY_SUPERTINY*2),
}

for i, v in ipairs(NEWVEGGIES) do table.insert (VEGGIES, i, v) end

If anyone can tell me how to make this work I would appreciate it.

My knowledge of lua is basically nil.

Ok - So I am attempting a new approach...

I thought why not give just a flat chance to override the game crop picking function and grow one of my crops

The error I am getting is

...s/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/waiter/modmain.lua:188: attempt to index field 'seeds' (a nil value)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:

Here is the relevant code from my modmain.lua

require = "prefabs/seeds"

function wpicker(inst)

local oldpicker = inst.components.seeds.pickproduct -- This is Line 188

-- this line is supposed to create a copy of the pickproduct function from seeds.lua

inst.components.seeds.pickproduct = function(inst)
-- this line is supposed to create a new pickproduct function

local wrnd = math.random()*10

if wrnd <=0.5 then return "crop1"
        else if wrnd <=1.5 then return "crop2"
            else if wrnd <=2 then return "crop3"

-- the above should give a random (20% chance) to use on of my custom crops

else oldpicker(inst)
-- this line should run the original pickproduct function if one of my crops is not selected
        end
        end
    end

end

end    

AddPrefabPostInit("seeds", wpicker)

-- This should add the wpicker function into seeds.lua

Archived