Detect if it's raining or not

I found that by using Notepad++ to search files for "IsRaining":

TheWorld.state.israining will give you true or false to raining :-)

Searching the game files is a sweet way of exposing all this stuff; TheWorld.state also gives you IsDay, IsNight and IsWinter for example

I found that by using Notepad++ to search files for "IsRaining":

TheWorld.state.israining will give you true or false to raining :-)

Searching the game files is a sweet way of exposing all this stuff; TheWorld.state also gives you IsDay, IsNight and IsWinter for example

Thanks!

So, onward to problem 2

so let's say I have a function like this

if TheWorld.state.israining() == true then

[do stuff]

else

[do stuff]

end

How would I make that function run everytime it's raining or stops raining?

(sorry for my noobishness I'm kinda new to modding)

@AgainstMatter

You can use an event listener.

"inst" is referring to your character, so this would go in your character's create fn.

local dapperness_onrain = TUNING.SANITY_SMALL-- You can also use (-TUNING.SANITY_SMALL), or a custom valuelocal function rain_start()    inst.components.sanity.dapperness = dapperness_onrainendGetWorld():ListenForEvent("rainstart", rain_start)local function rain_stop()    inst.components.sanity.dapperness = 0endGetWorld():ListenForEvent("rainstop", rain_stop)

Edit: Fixed the issues listed below.

Here's the old (not working) version.
inst:AddComponent("dapperness")local dapperness_onrain = TUNING.CRAZINESS_SMALL-- You can also use (-TUNING.SANITY_SMALL), or a custom valuelocal function rain_start()	inst.components.dapperness.dapperness = dapperness_onrainendinst:ListenForEvent("rainstart", rain_start)local function rain_stop()	inst.components.dapperness.dapperness = 0endinst:ListenForEvent("rainstop", rain_stop)

@AgainstMatter

Hmm. Try adding these print statements to see if the code even accesses them.

inst:AddComponent("dapperness") local dapperness_onrain = TUNING.CRAZINESS_SMALL-- You can also use (-TUNING.SANITY_SMALL), or a custom value local function rain_start()    inst.components.dapperness.dapperness = dapperness_onrain    print(inst.components.dapperness.dapperness)endinst:ListenForEvent("rainstart", rain_start) local function rain_stop()    inst.components.dapperness.dapperness = 0    print(inst.components.dapperness.dapperness)endinst:ListenForEvent("rainstop", rain_stop)

They should print a value to your log.txt file and your console.

You can access the console by press the Grave-Accent/Backtick ( ` ) key in-game.

I'm guessing the above would yield some kinda positive result; I've not used any ListenForEvent goodies before, but like the berrys said, if you add in a print or two, you can see if the code is doing its job / how often it runs by looking in the console.

I did a quick bit of searching within the .lua files for dapperness and found this function within sanity.lua:

function Sanity:Recalc(dt)    local total_dapperness = self.dapperness or 0    local mitigates_rain = false    for k,v in pairs (self.inst.components.inventory.equipslots) do        if v.components.dapperness then            total_dapperness = total_dapperness + v.components.dapperness:GetDapperness(self.inst)            if v.components.dapperness.mitigates_rain then                mitigates_rain = true            end        end         end        local dapper_delta = total_dapperness*TUNING.SANITY_DAPPERNESS        local light_delta = 0    local lightval = self.inst.LightWatcher:GetLightValue()        local day = TheWorld.state.isday and not TheWorld:HasTag("cave")        if day then         light_delta = TUNING.SANITY_DAY_GAIN    else            local highval = TUNING.SANITY_HIGH_LIGHT        local lowval = TUNING.SANITY_LOW_LIGHT        if lightval > highval then            light_delta =  TUNING.SANITY_NIGHT_LIGHT        elseif lightval < lowval then            light_delta = TUNING.SANITY_NIGHT_DARK        else            light_delta = TUNING.SANITY_NIGHT_MID        end        light_delta = light_delta*self.night_drain_mult    end        local aura_delta = 0    local x,y,z = self.inst.Transform:GetWorldPosition()    local ents = TheSim:FindEntities(x,y,z, TUNING.SANITY_EFFECT_RANGE, nil, {"FX", "NOCLICK", "DECOR","INLIMBO"} )    for k,v in pairs(ents) do         if v.components.sanityaura and v ~= self.inst then            local distsq = self.inst:GetDistanceSqToInst(v)            local aura_val = v.components.sanityaura:GetAura(self.inst)/math.max(1, distsq)            if aura_val < 0 then                aura_val = aura_val * self.neg_aura_mult            end            aura_delta = aura_delta + aura_val        end    end    local rain_delta = not mitigates_rain and TheWorld.state.israining and        -1.5 * TUNING.DAPPERNESS_MED * TheWorld.state.precipitationrate or 0    self.ghost_drain_mult = GetNumGhostPlayers()    if self.ghost_drain_mult > TUNING.MAX_SANITY_GHOST_PLAYER_DRAIN_MULT then        self.ghost_drain_mult = TUNING.MAX_SANITY_GHOST_PLAYER_DRAIN_MULT    end    local ghost_delta = TUNING.SANITY_GHOST_PLAYER_DRAIN * self.ghost_drain_mult    self.rate = (dapper_delta + light_delta + aura_delta + rain_delta + ghost_delta)          if self.custom_rate_fn then        self.rate = self.rate + self.custom_rate_fn(self.inst)    end    --print (string.format("dapper: %2.2f light: %2.2f TOTAL: %2.2f", dapper_delta, light_delta, self.rate*dt))    self:DoDelta(self.rate*dt, true)end

This explains how dapperness interacts with the player in the context of sanity, so you can consider what you need to do in your code, and what changing dapperness in your code will do

@AgainstMatter, Ahh.. nope. That's how I would have done it myself.

N-tools calls this function

function SeasonManager:StartPrecip()	if not self.precip then		self.nextlightningtime = GetRandomMinMax(self.lightningdelays.min or 5, self.lightningdelays.max or 15)		self.precip = true				self.moisture_floor = (.25 + math.random()*.5)*self.atmo_moisture				self.peak_precip_intensity = math.random()		local snow_thresh = self:IsWinter() and 5 or -5		if self.current_temperature < snow_thresh then			self.preciptype = "snow"			self.inst:PushEvent("snowstart")		else			self.preciptype = "rain"			self.inst:PushEvent("rainstart")		end	endend

Please confirm that it's not winter (or close to), as it would push the snowstart event instead.

@AgainstMatter

The event listener is being set on the player's instance, but it seems the rain events are only being passed to the world's instance.

Change both

inst:ListenForEvent

to

GetWorld():ListenForEvent

But I think there may still be a problem with the sanity not going down. Still testing that.

Edit:

The sanity component does not check for the player's dapperness. Instead, it has it's own dapperness value that is checked when calculating sanity.

It can be set through inst.components.sanity.dapperness

Working tested code

local dapperness_onrain = -50-- You can also use (-TUNING.SANITY_SMALL), or a custom valuelocal function rain_start()	inst.components.sanity.dapperness = dapperness_onrainendGetWorld():ListenForEvent("rainstart", rain_start)local function rain_stop()	inst.components.sanity.dapperness = 0endGetWorld():ListenForEvent("rainstop", rain_stop)

Keep in mind the code there is only changing state at the point where the rain itself changes state.  Meaning if you load up a game that is already raining you might not receive a 'rainstart' event.

This is meant purely as general advice to show you need to think of edge cases.

Archived