problem with map custom

Hi,

i just try to put the huge map with other settings default on my server dedicated

i have follow the wiki:

so i have create the host with settings huge map on my dont starve together client

after i have jut put the file "survival_1" on my server dedicated in folder /save

and of course i have add in my settings.ini :

[Network]

server_save_slot = 1

so when i restart my server dedicated

the world of map is still large and not huge

someone already had this problem?

thx for your help

Hey there :-)

Did you followed the exact procedure ?

I mean, you are required to :

1. On your DST client, host a server with huge map setting on slot 1, then disconnect at character selection.

2. On your DST host, write under [Network] in settings.ini : server_save_slot = 1 (or any number between 1 and 5 according to the slot you used in Client version). In other words, the slot you used for client map and [network] settings has to be the same.

3. start your dedicated server so the map is generated, then stop it.

4. replace the "survival_1" (or another figure if you selected another slot in [network] settings) file that was generated by the "survival_1" (or another figure according to the slot you used on your client) you generated with the client.

5. restart your dedicated server.

That is the procedure described on the wiki, can you do it step by step and let us know if the problem is solved ?

So far, i think that restarting a server with no map firstly generated implies that the former save slot got overwritten, which would explain why you still get a large map instead of a huge one ;)

Please try this and let us know ;)

Hi Nowt :grin:

thx you very much for your answer

yes i have follow the wiki but dont know why it's same map with no custom

so i have make lot of test with different setting for map custom

example i have put long day and is still normal day on the server

or i have put more food and i have not more on my map

when you mean restarting server without no map that's not good for having custom map?

because i have make that, i have start my server dedicated, stop server, replace the "survival_1 with my file generate from DST client

of course i have add on my setting.ini this:

server_save_slot = 1

and i have start the server, and it's still the map default

because it's works with you?

what do you use of OS?

if you want i can make video

i have Debien Wheezy 64 bits :-)

thx for you help nOwt

Star client DST, create a host match in the same slot that u set on server_save_slot =? in the select player menu disconnect and close client DST, then go to klie donotstarve folder, check save an look for survival _(ur slot), cut that file and paste into ur server folder save, this way u overwrite the server world whit your custom client world

4. replace the "survival_1" (or another figure if you selected another slot in [network] settings) file that was generated by the "survival_1" (or another figure according to the slot you used on your client) you generated with the client.

This is the part that confuses me. If I create a custom map by running DST and creating a map/disconnecting at the character screen the survival_whatever file is in the documents\klei\donotstarvetogether\save directory. What I don't get is where this extra file is/comes from when you run the dedicated server to generate the map to replace it with?

I don't know if this is right but what I did was set the server_save_slot = 2 in the setting.ini file and then started the dedicated server but the cmd prompt stops at some "main" bit and doesnt go all the way to reset. I close the server, then open up DST, go to host game and find that the save slot was created by running the dedicated server, I delete that one and immediately create a new one in its place with the custom map settings and run it up to the character selection. I then close DST and run the dedicated server and the cmd prompt terminates at the reset bit where its supposed to.

This is the part that confuses me. If I create a custom map by running DST and creating a map/disconnecting at the character screen the survival_whatever file is in the documents\klei\donotstarvetogether\save directory. What I don't get is where this extra file is/comes from when you run the dedicated server to generate the map to replace it with?

I don't know if this is right but what I did was set the server_save_slot = 2 in the setting.ini file and then started the dedicated server but the cmd prompt stops at some "main" bit and doesnt go all the way to reset. I close the server, then open up DST, go to host game and find that the save slot was created by running the dedicated server, I delete that one and immediately create a new one in its place with the custom map settings and run it up to the character selection. I then close DST and run the dedicated server and the cmd prompt terminates at the reset bit where its supposed to.

You need tu put it in the same folder where is your server setting.ini and token.txt if u can put all it in a different folder that the client setting.ini it would work fine

Solution/Bug: follow steps in wiki and set winter to first season. Copy world to dedicated etc. and start your server. Now check out the world in menu (view world) -> looks like you failed. Now join. You see...it's winter. In my opinion it's a display bug in menu.

You need tu put it in the same folder where is your server setting.ini and token.txt if u can put all it in a different folder that the client setting.ini it would work fine

In the wiki it says the settings.ini file to modify the dedicated server is here Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Settings.ini which i have been using to add the server_token etc, You're saying that there is supposed to be a separate setting.ini file somewhere else because i'm pretty sure the client uses the same setting.ini file thats at Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Settings.ini ? 

"Launch the Don't Starve Together dedicated server as you normally would, and once the server is running, stop it. In your configuration directory there should now be a save subdirectory that contains several file, including a survival_<slot #> file, where <slot #> is the slot number configured in settings.ini.

Copy the survival_<slot #> file to your dedicated server configuration directory overwriting the new generated file, renaming it if necessary, then relaunch the server. The dedicated server should now load your custom map." 

Here it talks about the dedicated server configuration directory? and a new save subdirectory that supposed to pop up? Where is this exactly? Is it not talking about the Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/save directory? I followed the steps for the map creation but I have never seen a save directory pop up. The only save directory I know of is in the above path.

In the wiki it says the settings.ini file to modify the dedicated server is here Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Settings.ini which i have been using to add the server_token etc, You're saying that there is supposed to be a separate setting.ini file somewhere else because i'm pretty sure the client uses the same setting.ini file thats at Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Settings.ini ? 

"Launch the Don't Starve Together dedicated server as you normally would, and once the server is running, stop it. In your configuration directory there should now be a save subdirectory that contains several file, including a survival_<slot #> file, where <slot #> is the slot number configured in settings.ini.

Copy the survival_<slot #> file to your dedicated server configuration directory overwriting the new generated file, renaming it if necessary, then relaunch the server. The dedicated server should now load your custom map." 

Here it talks about the dedicated server configuration directory? and a new save subdirectory that supposed to pop up? Where is this exactly? Is it not talking about the Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/save directory? I followed the steps for the map creation but I have never seen a save directory pop up. The only save directory I know of is in the above path.

Can u Launch the DST dedicate server through steam??

the best way for running it in my opinion is:

-create a folder into mydocuments\klei

the name you want, dedicated server or myserver

Into that folder put your setting.ini and token txt

on steam rght click over DST dedicated server, properties

select stablish launch option then write this 

-config_dir thenameofyourfolder

if u do this, u will follow the steps to create your custom world without problems

the best way for running it in my opinion is:

-create a folder into mydocuments\klei

the name you want, dedicated server or myserver

Into that folder put your setting.ini and token txt

on steam rght click over DST dedicated server, properties

select stablish launch option then write this 

-config_dir thenameofyourfolder

if u do this, u will follow the steps to create your custom world without problems

Awesome, thanks.

Display problem solved> Just copy saveindex file from client directory to dedicated server directory in addition to the survival file as well. It will fix display problem. :-)

The file on my client side is called survival_6. I renamed it to survival_1 on the server. So I guess that will not work for me since there is only 1 saveindex for all saves?

Also, will changing the saveindex file not cause problems with playersaves, or pointers to those? At this point for me for example I have around 500 people logged into the map.

Hey Tonio !

Sry, i've been kinda busy these days, so I didn't replied for a while... Anyway, if you can't get it to work, can you please send us a picture or a video in order to show us how you're doing ?

Sry again and thx ;)

The file on my client side is called survival_6. I renamed it to survival_1 on the server. So I guess that will not work for me since there is only 1 saveindex for all saves?

Also, will changing the saveindex file not cause problems with playersaves, or pointers to those? At this point for me for example I have around 500 people logged into the map.

Hello CraftalGlory, I believe there is only 1 saveindex for all client survival files. In server directory the files responsible for player saves are located in "Klei\yourdedicatedserverfolder\save\session\".

But I don't know if you overwrite saveindex it would modify or lost some player progress though. Before try it, you could do a test in another server, I mean... like you said 500 people, it could be a risk assessment, then for security reasons I recommend you do a test in an experimental server first.

Hey Tonio !

Sry, i've been kinda busy these days, so I didn't replied for a while... Anyway, if you can't get it to work, can you please send us a picture or a video in order to show us how you're doing ?

Sry again and thx ;)

Hey nOwt :grin:

no problem dont worry

i still make some test, so i think i have just problem with display but im not sure

i have try all solutions of people tell here but still not works

i going try to make video or screenshot yes

maybe long for make that

thx again all for your help :-)

Hello again CraftalGlory, I did some tests about it, and I've discovered more details about saveindex file, how it works? In its content keeps every survival slots for respective custom displays, for example, if you generate a custom client server using survival_6 the saveindex will show its custom display only for survival_6 file. So in your case you need to create again a new custom client server using survival_1, and after that copy saveindex and place it on your dedicated server directory. The saveindex will contain your custom display for survival_1 file. Don't forget to use "server_save_slot = 1" in settings.ini.

PS: I didn't lose any save progress doing it.
I hope this may help you. :-)

Hello again CraftalGlory, I did some tests about it, and I've discovered more details about saveindex file, how it works? In its content keeps every survival slots for respective custom displays, for example, if you generate a custom client server using survival_6 the saveindex will show its custom display only for survival_6 file. So in your case you need to create again a new custom client server using survival_1, and after that copy saveindex and place it on your dedicated server directory. The saveindex will contain your custom display for survival_1 file. Don't forget to use "server_save_slot = 1" in settings.ini.

PS: I didn't lose any save progress doing it.
I hope this may help you. :-)

Thank you for this, will certainly use. I'll do it a little different though. I will copy the saveindex over and set server_save_slot = 6 and change the name of the save itself to survival_6 again. That way it should hopefully work and I'd be able to keep my world. Another thing though, can anyone confirm this would actually work for anything over 5? To be able to generate a sixth world, I installed a mod that allows me 50 saves. Anyone have any experience with this?

Guess I might as well try though. Will take a backup and can just go back to that when it doesn't work.

Also; just for the record. saveindex actually just handles the display  of information right? Fior example if I were to create a world with long summers and copy it over without saveindex; the server would still have long summers, itjust would not be shown in the overview correct?

Thank you for this, will certainly use. I'll do it a little different though. I will copy the saveindex over and set server_save_slot = 6 and change the name of the save itself to survival_6 again. That way it should hopefully work and I'd be able to keep my world. Another thing though, can anyone confirm this would actually work for anything over 5? To be able to generate a sixth world, I installed a mod that allows me 50 saves. Anyone have any experience with this?

Guess I might as well try though. Will take a backup and can just go back to that when it doesn't work.

Also; just for the record. saveindex actually just handles the display  of information right? Fior example if I were to create a world with long summers and copy it over without saveindex; the server would still have long summers, itjust would not be shown in the overview correct?

Hi CraftalGlory :joyous: I heard about that mod, I didn't try it though, but I hope it works for you. You're right, saveindex file just displays your custom configuration map in "View World", even without saveindex file your world will still have long summers, because these settings are in survival file. Copying survival file graphical client to dedicated server configuration directory, it calls legacy method, which in my humble opinion it is the easy way. But now there is another way to customize a world.

You can setting worldgenoverride.lua file, please take a look at Wikia in Customizing the World Map:

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Don%E2%80%99t_Starve_Together_Dedicated_Servers

Archived