[Crash] - Loss of saved games, high score, and all XP

Bug Submission:

Category: Crash

Platform: PC

Issue Title: Loss of saved games, high score, and all XP

Issue Description: My experience with the game has been a positive one, until something happens that causes the game to randomly crash. I have the same crashing problem when I run Age of Wonders III. It too randomly crashes when I play. However, after my PC reboots I usually do not have any more crashes for the remainder of my playing session. This would not bother me as much as long as I can resume where I was left off in the game before the crash.

The issue with the Invisible game is that 50% of the time when I re-run the game after a crash, my saved game is gone plus my high score and all XP points. Then I have to start all over again only for this to happen again. It has happened three times where I have lost everything after a game crash! This makes me no longer to want to play the game again because I keep losing hours and hours of time spent on carefully getting to an exciting point in the game in a later mission only to lose it all to a crash.

Steps to Reproduce: The game crashes seem to happen randomly after about an hour of play time. Since it happens when I play Age of Wonders III, I believe it has something to do with my computer. The thing I want to bring to light is that AFTER a crash, there is a 50% chance that I will lose my saved game, high score, and all XP points. That is what upsets me because I may spend three hours in a game, and then have to start all over again after a game crash. If I can never get to the final missions through no fault of my own (i.e., not losing all my agents to dying), what's the point of playing anymore. I have already mastered the first 3-4 hours of the game. Thanks for your help. I am attaching my recently ran DxDiag.txt file.

• Developer

You definitely shouldn't be losing save progress after a crash.  After each crash can you check the contents of your Klei/InvisibleInc/saves folder before relaunching the game and verify that a savegame file exists there?

It would be helpful to know if the file is somehow simply going missing, or if it is being written incorrectly.

Also, after you launch a game and notice your save data missing, if you could quit the game and then post your invisibleinc.txt file from Klei/InvisibleInc/logs

Thanks!

I will play the game until it happens again. Then I will send you the files you requested to help you figure out what is causing the loss of the saved games, high score, and XP following a crash. Thank you for your quick response.

I played the game. This time, instead of crashing, the game froze and I had to re-start my computer because my computer became unresponsive. The savegame file is still there. The file size is 29KB and not 1KB like last time. I will see if the savegame file is OK when I relaunch the game. Attached is the 'invisibleinc.txt' file as you requested.

invisibleinc.txt

I played the game a little later. Again, the screen froze and my computer became unresponsive. I rebooted my computer. I am now attaching the 'invisibleinc.txt' file again to help troubleshoot the issue. The 'savegame' file continues to remain intact so I can continue playing after the computer reboot.

invisibleinc.txt

I launched the game again after the computer reboot, and this time there is no game save to continue from. Also, the  'High Score' is set back to zero and all accumulated XP points are now gone. I go to the 'saves' folder and the 'savehgame.lau' file is still there and it is 79 KB in size. It could be corrupted. I do not know. I am attaching that file along with the 'invisibleinc.txt' file again for you to take a look at.

I will not play another game until I hear back from you guys on what to try next if anything. Hope the info I sent you helps fix the problem. Thanks.

invisibleinc.txt

savegame.lua

• Developer

With regards to the long load time, we're hopping to address this in a hotpatch soon.

As for your savegame issue, unfortunately I don't see any error information in the log files you posted. In the case of corruption, the game will also attempt to save the corrupted savegame to a backup file for later analysis (something like savegame.lua.bak).  Do you see any .bak files in that folder?

This leads me to believe the file is somehow being deleted.  Is it correct to say your crashes are occuring during gameplay?

Also, you mentioned in your last post that the savegame.lua was still present and approx 79 KB in size, but the one you attached is quite small (< 1 KB) and in fact represents an empty save game.  Did you perhaps launch the game after noting the size, and then attached the newly overwritten savegame?

I have never seen any .bak files in the savegame folder.

Yes, it is correct to say that the crashes are occurring during gameplay.

Sorry about the savegame file. It must of reset itself after I re-started the game after the game freeze/crash. I will re-send the previous game save that I had saved myself in a back-up directory prior to launching the game again. Thanks for your help.

savegame.lua

I tried to launch the game with the 79KB savegame.lua file that i copied back to the 'saves' directory that I sent you, but it just gets reset back to 1KB. It also generated a 1KB savegame.lua.tmp file in the saves directory.

• Developer

Thanks for posting the file.  I can see why your savegame would have been recreated -- the file is full of nothing but zeroes!  I am guessing that the crashes you experience are causing the writes to fail.

In the recent patch we've taken a couple measures to preserve the savegame in case something goes wrong (such as the .tmp file you are seeing), but I'm not sure this will eliminate your specific issues.

When we release, however, we will be utilizing cloud saves and so chances are good this won't happen anymore.  Thanks for your patience.

Ok, thank you. Is anybody else having a problem with the game crashing or freezing on them from time to time? I wish I knew what is causing the game to crash or freeze. Am I the only one with this particular problem? Thanks.

Archived