[Suggestion] Craftable item: map

Since I wish to distinguish between the item I am suggesting and the currently implimented in game map that players access by pressing `M,' I will henceforth return to the currently implimented in game map as [M].

Option 1:

Map = Compass + 3x Papyrus @ Science Machine

The map is a one time use item by any player other than the player who crafted the map. All explored area that the crafter had revealed upon crafting will be added to the user's [M].

Option 2:

The map is an infinite use item by any player (similar to the razor). Unlike option 1, this map does not integrate with the user's [M]. Instead the user may use the map to get a screen that looks like the user's [M] with the following exceptions:

• The map is the [M] that the crafter currently had at the time of crafting.
  • The map does not show the user's location.
  • The map does not update. This applies to both exploring new area and changing explored area.

Option 3:

Crude Map = 2x Grass + 2x Berries

Map = 2x Papyrus + Berries + Compass

These maps are the itemification of [M]. Essentially the players do not start with [M] and must craft either of these options to give access to [M]. The crude map would be worse than the current [M]. Essentially you are drawing out the map, but your position is not labeled on the map. The map is the current [M]. The consequences of turning [M] into an item:

• You do not start the game with [M].
  • You drop [M] upon death.
  • [M]s can be traded to show other players what has been explored and where things are.
  • [M]s can be stolen off a corpse.
  • [M]s can be found in the wild.
  • With the way I am thinking of this, [M]s are not mergeable, however I could see that being an option.

note: My experience with DST thus far has only been in small private non-pvp games. I do not know how these ideas would play out in other styles of games.

I've found the lack of shared exploration to be downside of playing with a large group since you have to verbally/textually communicate where things are after you find them. A map object suggestion pulls the mechanic in-game and requires in-game proximity to communicate findings, which feels more appropriate anyway. I prefer Option 1 since the others start to confound the map interface with multiple maps to keep track of and there are already plenty of other things to keep track of in this game.

The only downside I can see is if the map is single use and you have a lot of people playing with you then your need to make maps can quickly expand. Maybe when the map is read all in proximity are given the new map exploration? Or maybe give it 4-5 uses so it can be passed around before it is used up?

Option 1:

The map is a one time use item by any player other than the player who crafted the map. All explored area that the crafter had revealed upon crafting will be added to the user's [M].

This is my favorite idea on maps so far, simple and easy to use

The only downside I can see is if the map is single use and you have a lot of people playing with you then your need to make maps can quickly expand. Maybe when the map is read all in proximity are given the new map exploration? Or maybe give it 4-5 uses so it can be passed around before it is used up?

I see this as a virtue of the map item. I would prefer things to not necessarily be easy in the game and this adds a fairly large hurtle to sharing maps. I want map sharing to be purposeful, not another thing that easily happens regularly. If you are going to go through the process of sharing your map, you mean to do so.

This also creates more uses for papyrus, which currently is fairly limited. 

The map object could be made more expensive to compensate, but multi-use or proximity use reduces the tedium of producing and handing out a lot of maps; which to me isn't difficulty, it's just time.

As you describe it the map you create only has your explored areas and only captures your exploration up to that point in time. So if you have 6 people and you all go exploring and come back to share, that is 30 maps you would have to create to fully distribute the knowledge. And that happens every time you want to share.

I'll suggest an addendum option, but minus the attention to detail that was put into the first three...

Add-on Option 1

A map table structure that you can add maps crafted via Option 1 or Option 2 into (chest style) that when either accessed or the player stands near it confers the exploration on the contained maps. This could be a way to mitigate the tedium of map generation that would be experienced in the early game. And maybe maps left on the table during rains are destroyed just to keep you on your toes (the fun kind of frustration/difficulty this game is known for).

Archived