[General] - Lag

Mrpolo

Bug Submission:

Category: General

Issue Title: Lag

Issue Description: when i try to host a game with my cousin he gets this sort of lag where he will be walking and suddenly return where he was at previously and the same happens when he host the game but this time i get the lag. whats the issue? he live in mexico by the way and I live in south california

Steps to Reproduce: this happens when either of us host a server. it even happens when we join another server

Simple check to see if it's game lag or internet lag, click Start, type CMD and hit enter to open a command prompt, type 

ping google.com -t

and watch it send out lil packets and receive responses. You should receive a very low "time=" if your internet is good and will only see lines saying "Reply from" (no lines indicating errors). You can browse and stuff while it's going and see how that affects the connection.

If either of you has any error there or a very high time (ping), that will be the cause for your "rubber banding", in multiplayer games generally. DST really does want nice low pings and steady connections.

Should the tests show you both have a perfectly stable connection, you could disable any mods you may have running and try again. Also when you're ingame and you hold TAB, you can see the ping time displayed next to other player's names; if that's high, you will likely have troubles too. Maybe let us know what your pings are like and if you have any packet loss between you.

Simple check to see if it's game lag or internet lag, click Start, type CMD and hit enter to open a command prompt, type 

ping google.com -t

and watch it send out lil packets and receive responses. You should receive a very low "time=" if your internet is good and will only see lines saying "Reply from" (no lines indicating errors). You can browse and stuff while it's going and see how that affects the connection.

If either of you has any error there or a very high time (ping), that will be the cause for your "rubber banding", in multiplayer games generally. DST really does want nice low pings and steady connections.

Should the tests show you both have a perfectly stable connection, you could disable any mods you may have running and try again. Also when you're ingame and you hold TAB, you can see the ping time displayed next to other player's names; if that's high, you will likely have troubles too. Maybe let us know what your pings are like and if you have any packet loss between you.

Thanks. Me and my friend got the same trouble. We tried that you wrote. I'vegot 32ms ping and my friend 45. Me and friend from Ukraine and from the same city. We disabled all mods and our game still lagging. In game server is always marked as "Good" and game shows ~40 ping for both of us nevermind who is the server. Our inet connections are always good and stable but we're still lagging. It al started after update on 24 of Decemver. Before it everything was ok. Any ideas?

hmmm OK, well! If you both ran ping tests for a couple of minutes and everything had a response, the internet on both ends seems to have tested OK.

Are either of you on WIFI? Testing while plugged into ethernet is best, as WIFI can just drop out momentarily for no apparent reason.

Also is it a public game you're hosting? When new people start to join your game (before they select a character), it creates a pretty significant lag for the people already connected in my experience; perhaps try a Friends Only game and just invite your friend? or 2 slots only as well/instead?

It's not really a perfect solution or anything but you could try using this mod which will remove rubber banding (apparently caused by movement prediction) but also make general movement a bit less fluid: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=367593872

Also what are your http://speedtest.net ratings for Upload speed particularly? Whoever is hosting especially needs a Good upload.

Also I can see this thread relating to Klei working on such things: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/43597-network-performance-update/

This reminds me, do you have good CPU etc. too, or just enough to run the game? It's mentioned in the thread that your gear can potentially not be able to keep up with settings, and cause delay in itself.

hmmm OK, well! If you both ran ping tests for a couple of minutes and everything had a response, the internet on both ends seems to have tested OK.

Are either of you on WIFI? Testing while plugged into ethernet is best, as WIFI can just drop out momentarily for no apparent reason.

Also is it a public game you're hosting? When new people start to join your game (before they select a character), it creates a pretty significant lag for the people already connected in my experience; perhaps try a Friends Only game and just invite your friend? or 2 slots only as well/instead?

It's not really a perfect solution or anything but you could try using this mod which will remove rubber banding (apparently caused by movement prediction) but also make general movement a bit less fluid: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=367593872

Also what are your http://speedtest.net ratings for Upload speed particularly? Whoever is hosting especially needs a Good upload.

Thanks for replies. I'm playing on WIFI and my friend not. We're hosting private games with password, friends only and 2 slots only available. Also we tried disabling movement prediction (that mode doing the same) but it didn't help. My ratings at speedtest: 53 mbps for download and 62 mbps for upload. And the hardware i'm using: Intel Core i3, 2.5 HHz, 4Gb RAM and Nvidia Geforce 610M.

I don't think that is our hardware or connection problem becouse we've played a few weeks ago, before 24th December hotfix and game run perfectly without any issues. We thought that mods problem but after disabling lags still happening. Thanks for that forum link, we'll try out increasing tick rate.

Archived