How do the UIDs work?

So I was wondering how you get player tables with names and UIDs and such, I've read through a lot of code but I can't quite get my head around it. Also how would I get chat? I think I have an idea however I am new to this and would like some ideas. Before you ask yes I do program in Lua and I have read through all the threads I could find, I read through source code and stuff as well.

On another note how does the current testing of dedicated servers work, I am wanting to set one up and work up a player base mucking around with worldgen stuff. Is there a way to apply to get access to a server or the files for one? I have high end servers so I can run whatever OS it doesn't bother me.

player tables with names and UIDs
I think you're thinking of TheNet:GetClientTable(). You can look at playerstatusscreen to see how it gets used-- userid is the field that it sounds like you want (e.g. TheNet:GetClientTable()[1].userid). The userid field also exists on the player entities-- e.g. c_find('wilson').userid.

Dedicated servers... Klei runs them and tests them mostly, and they gave a few to a couple of modders to do some more unusual stuff with. But they've said that they will be releasing them officially in a couple of weeks, to run on Windows and Linux (currently they're running on Ubuntu virtual machines in cloud hosting services, I think).

I think you're thinking of TheNet:GetClientTable(). You can look at playerstatusscreen to see how it gets used-- userid is the field that it sounds like you want (e.g. TheNet:GetClientTable()[1].userid). The userid field also exists on the player entities-- e.g. c_find('wilson').userid.

Dedicated servers... Klei runs them and tests them mostly, and they gave a few to a couple of modders to do some more unusual stuff with. But they've said that they will be releasing them officially in a couple of weeks, to run on Windows and Linux (currently they're running on Ubuntu virtual machines in cloud hosting services, I think).

Ahh, yes that's exactly what I wanted, thank you. Any idea how to get chat though?

Any idea how to get chat though?
 It depends on what you mean exactly. TheNet:Say(message, whisper) is what sends it out. This goes through the C++ code until it reaches Networking_Say in networking.lua. They're then stored in the chatqueue.

I guess the most likely thing would be that you want to intercept messages on the server to react to them somehow. In that case, you want to override Networking_Say on the server, something like this:

local OldNetworking_Say = GLOBAL.Networking_SayGLOBAL.Networking_Say = function(guid, userid, name, message, colour, whisper)    OldNetworking_Say(guid, userid, name, message, colour, whisper)    -- Do stuffend

It depends on what you mean exactly. TheNet:Say(message, whisper) is what sends it out. This goes through the C++ code until it reaches Networking_Say in networking.lua. They're then stored in the chatqueue.

I guess the most likely thing would be that you want to intercept messages on the server to react to them somehow. In that case, you want to override Networking_Say on the server, something like this:

local OldNetworking_Say = GLOBAL.Networking_SayGLOBAL.Networking_Say = function(guid, userid, name, message, colour, whisper)    OldNetworking_Say(guid, userid, name, message, colour, whisper)    -- Do stuffend

Ahh thanks, I was thinking that's how I'd do it, nice to have it clarified.