A "Smart"/"Sticky" inventory hotbar slot feature

Hey so, after attempting to try to get a smooth hotkey layout for myself for various items (like switching between football hat and top hat, magic staves, boomerang/Blowdarts/other Ranged weapons etc), and having them in slots a little farther to the right (like, the 6th and 7th slots with different hotkeys, like "C" and "V", for example) I noticed if there are empty slots to the left of that particular slot in your inventory where the item you switched out was, when you switch back to the first item that was equipped - the one that got put in the slot from switching the first time - the item that originally was in the slot you had put it in gets moved into one of the empty inventory slots to the left. 

Idk if the wording in my post was confusing, but it's hard to explain the switching items and slots for some reason - But has anyone else noticed this? I am a big fan of hotkeys and being able to switch to what you need in the heat of the moment (like, switching to a the football helmet from a top hat or tam'o shanter when you're about to fight - It can be really crucial with pvp enabled). 

My suggestion is to add a feature that would stop the moving of items to empty inventory slots to the left of the slot in question when you switch an item out. Instead - it would ALWAYS put the Equipped item that you're switching for another item with a hotkey (or not a hotkey I guess too) BACK into the slot it originally was in.

It just gets old having to reorganize my messed up inventory after switching items sometimes. My ghetto fix for this at the moment is filling up the slots to the left of the item slot in question to prevent it from doing the empty slot fill thing, but some sort of feature like this being added would help A LOT. I like to know that what I'm going to be pressing is going to equip what I need in the heat of the moment. I hate right clicking "At a moments notice" needed equippables if I can, :)

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. The most you seem to be able to do for stable switching is switch something in, then put the thing that got switched out into that slot manually, then you can switch between the two using the same slot (... until you switch with something else).

I think just having it so that switching always switched with the slot that you clicked would be a pretty big improvement. It would still mess stuff up a little with serial swapping, but at least it would make switching between two things regularly easier.

I'm not really seeing a way to implement another switching scheme that would be free of having to reorganize with some regularity, though...

Yeah, well the way I think of it, if you just remember to always press the same hotkey again when you want to switch to something else, like, you'd have tentacle spike, press 1, switch to axe, press 1 again, switch back to tentacle spike, and the axe's spot never moved. I'm trying to train myself to be consciously aware of this but it's hard with the inventory shuffling lol. Yeah idk if it'd be hard to do or not I just thought it'd be a mechanical improvement that would help hotkey users a lot.

Archived