Project Wendigo

It is thought of variously as a malevolent cannibalistic spirit that could possess humans or a monster that humans could physically transform into. Those who indulged in cannibalism were at particular risk,[2] and the legend appears to have reinforced this practice as a taboo.

I was looking up ancient creatures of folklore (to find more creatures like the Krampus, but i stumbled on the Wendigo & thought i'd Share the idea, i think it could be incorporated at a much later stage of the game where there are other human(NPC) Characters also roaming building Camps, if you were to kill the other NPC you can then loot their camp and eat their corpse (Cannibalism), if repeated 3 times (or whatever :p) your character becomes a Wendigo !, with massively increased ferocity but now unable to forge friendships with other NPC'S.

So basically you can go at it alone as a Wendigo, or make allies out of other Characters.

Meh first idea i'v had on the game Gimmie a break :)

& i Wrote NPC about 1000 times to stress i dont mean Multiplayer :p

Peace & Love Yall !!

-Xiion Music

An actual Wendigo as I understand them to be would be nearly impossible to kill. I also don't think it would be a good idea to transform into a monster because the idea of the game is to survive, and becoming a monster seems like it would be part of a "bad ending" sorta scenario, as opposed to becoming a vampire in something like Elder Scrolls, where a society exists for you to be "set apart" from, and different sets of goals, namely, save the world. Don't Starve is a selfish sort of game--survival--its all about Wilson.

Thus, if a Wendigo should be implemented, even just as a theory or as a mod perhaps? It would have to be a super boss of some kind, something that makes its presence known long before you run into it in its own hunting grounds so that a player knows to stay away from it unless they're ready to get into the fight of their life.

Now the thing about Wendigos is that they're unbelievably fast, strong, can only be killed with fire because of the mythology that "they have hearts of ice", and they can trick people by emulating human language. So unless we have something that isn't dangerous that tries to talk to the player from off screen... Basically, something as terrifying as a Wendigo would have to be something that legitimately scares the crap out of you. Keeping a Wendigo close to how its mythological counterpart is while giving it a practical and meaningful presence in the game of Don't Starve... well, if left up to me it would practically be like fighting the Night Monster/Grue in the flesh!

An actual Wendigo as I understand them to be would be nearly impossible to kill. I also don't think it would be a good idea to transform into a monster because the idea of the game is to survive, and becoming a monster seems like it would be part of a "bad ending" sorta scenario, as opposed to becoming a vampire in something like Elder Scrolls, where a society exists for you to be "set apart" from, and different sets of goals, namely, save the world. Don't Starve is a selfish sort of game--survival--its all about Wilson.

Thus, if a Wendigo should be implemented, even just as a theory or as a mod perhaps? It would have to be a super boss of some kind, something that makes its presence known long before you run into it in its own hunting grounds so that a player knows to stay away from it unless they're ready to get into the fight of their life.

Now the thing about Wendigos is that they're unbelievably fast, strong, can only be killed with fire because of the mythology that "they have hearts of ice", and they can trick people by emulating human language. So unless we have something that isn't dangerous that tries to talk to the player from off screen... Basically, something as terrifying as a Wendigo would have to be something that legitimately scares the crap out of you. Keeping a Wendigo close to how its mythological counterpart is while giving it a practical and meaningful presence in the game of Don't Starve... well, if left up to me it would practically be like fighting the Night Monster/Grue in the flesh!

I agree that this shouldn't be in the normal game, but yknow the idea of being the Wendigo could be fun as a seperate mode after they finish making the core game. The roles are reversed and you as the monster terrorizing npc characters that are trying to build their base and survive. Not sure how the NPCs can fight you off but it's still an interesting idea.

That's a crazy idea! I certainly hope that this game can get a cool modding community with wacky ideas like that. Some of the best offshoot games erupt from things like that, like DOTA. Unfortunately this doesn't seem like the kind of game that will be able to get official modding support, but, I'd certainly play as a Wendigo for a little fun!