Modding help needed, Mod failing to stay activated.

Hello! I'm attempting to make my very first mod for Don't Starve Together. The way I've gone about doing this is taking a pre-existing mod, and editing the files (as no template currently exists for DST.) I believe I have done everything correctly, but something messing my mod up. The game loads fine, and the mod is recognized and appears under the "mods" tab. However, this message appears under my mod. 

imgur.com/sXJ6GNc

Enabling the mod does nothing, as revisiting the mod page shows the message under the mod that says "To be disabled" I'm at a loss of how to fix this issue, and I was wondering if anyone here would have a fix this my issue. I've attached a zip file of the mod, so maybe of you more talented and experienced people can show me what's wrong. 

This mod is just for personal use between me and a few friends, so it's not going to go public. If you need any other information,  I'll be sure provide it.

jacob.zip

Hello! I'm attempting to make my very first mod for Don't Starve Together. The way I've gone about doing this is taking a pre-existing mod, and editing the files (as no template currently exists for DST.) I believe I have done everything correctly, but something messing my mod up. The game loads fine, and the mod is recognized and appears under the "mods" tab. However, this message appears under my mod. 

imgur.com/sXJ6GNc

Enabling the mod does nothing, as revisiting the mod page shows the message under the mod that says "To be disabled" I'm at a loss of how to fix this issue, and I was wondering if anyone here would have a fix this my issue. I've attached a zip file of the mod, so maybe of you more talented and experienced people can show me what's wrong. 

This mod is just for personal use between me and a few friends, so it's not going to go public. If you need any other information,  I'll be sure provide it.

My mistake, it doesn't appear that the link to the picture works. I'll attach it directly.

post-533352-0-81640000-1419877112_thumb.

@Creathian, Look at the guide to getting started I posted, particularly the tips on dealing with crashes. You will need to form an intimate relationship with your log file.

One thing that might be crashing it now is this:

table.insert(GLOBAL.CHARACTER_GENDERS.MALE, "jacob")

Should be:

GLOBAL.table.insert(GLOBAL.CHARACTER_GENDERS.MALE, "jacob")

@Creathian, Look at the guide to getting started I posted, particularly the tips on dealing with crashes. You will need to form an intimate relationship with your log file.

One thing that might be crashing it now is this:

table.insert(GLOBAL.CHARACTER_GENDERS.MALE, "jacob")

Should be:

GLOBAL.table.insert(GLOBAL.CHARACTER_GENDERS.MALE, "jacob")

Gotcha, sorry about not including the log file right off the bat. 

I've attached the log file. Basically, I cleared what was on the file before, relaunched the game, and attempted to enable the mod. There's two other mods in there, if you want I can disable those and do the process over again.

log.txt

@Creathian

Error loading modinfo.lua. These fields are required: forumthread	

You can just leave it like this:

forumthread = ""

So, I fixed that, and fixed a few more things the log brought up. However, I'm having a very similar bug pop up in the log. It's the line-

"error loading module 'speech_jacob' from file '..\mods\workshop-364711932\scripts\speech_jacob.lua':

[string "cannot OLDFILEACCESSMETHOD @..\mods\workshop-364711932\scripts\..."]:316: '}' expected (to close '{' at line 1) near '.'"

I've attatched the updated code and log below, as this has me completly stumped. Anyone have an idea? 

Also, I'm aware of the texture issue. That is currently being fixed.

log.txt

jacob.zip

[string "cannot OLDFILEACCESSMETHOD @..\mods\workshop-364711932\scripts\..."]:316: '}' expected (to close '{' at line 1) near '.'"

So you go and look at line 316 of speech_jacob.lua...

BANDAGE = "Nice!".",

The error should be pretty obvious.

So you go and look at line 316 of speech_jacob.lua...

BANDAGE = "Nice!".",

The error should be pretty obvious.

Right, I see it now. I thought that was telling me to look at line 1, giving the bit at the end. I suppose that's what confused me, since this is my first mod, and first time programming in Lua. I've done Visual Basic and Java in the past, so I was familiar, but I still missed some pretty obvious mistakes. Thanks for your help, and putting up with my stupidity xD

Mod works now! After going through a loooot of bug-fixing, I've gotten the game to load and work with the mod installed.

One issue, the speech_jacob script doesn't seem to be loading correctly. I'm getting a mix of Maxwell's lines, Wilson's lines, and SOME of the lines I set in the speech_jacob. The log produces nothing of significance. Any ideas?

jacob.zip

@Creathian, I think this should be in the modmain (remove all of the strings stuff from his prefab file):

STRINGS.CHARACTERS.jacob = require "speech_jacob"

and I think you need to use JACOB rather than jacob-- that's probably the source of the generic lines. If you look at the other character's speech, it's stored in upper-case, and stringutil.lua's GetString function casts the character prefab ("jacob") to upper case before accessing STRINGS.CHARACTERS.[character].

@Creathian, I think this should be in the modmain (remove all of the strings stuff from his prefab file):

STRINGS.CHARACTERS.jacob = require "speech_jacob"

and I think you need to use JACOB rather than jacob-- that's probably the source of the generic lines. If you look at the other character's speech, it's stored in upper-case, and stringutil.lua's GetString function casts the character prefab ("jacob") to upper case before accessing STRINGS.CHARACTERS.[character].

So, after screwing with a lot of different codes and stuff, I still can't get his quotes to work. What I've noticed, though, is that the only quotes that don't seem to work are any of the quotes where he examines something. When he attacks, or takes damage at night, his custom quotes work fine. However, the rest never trigger.

The log is still void of information on the issue.

jacob (2).zip