Shank Mac crashes immediately on game start - what am i doing wrong?

frsr

• MOTD

So this is what's causing your game to not load:

Thread 6 Crashed:\0   libSDL-1.2.0.dylib            	0x0080c324 SDL_JoystickUpdate + 20\
It seems there is a conflict with trying to assign Joystick buttons to whatever is plugged in.

Questions:

1) Do you have a Joystick / Controller plugged in?

(If you have a joystick / game pad / external control device other than keyboard and mouse plugged in...)

2) Can you boot the game when only a keyboard and mouse are plugged in?

3) What is the make / model of the controller / joypad

4) Are the drivers up to date?

Hope that helps!

I am having the same problem. As Soon as the intro ends the game crashes out to a dump screen. I have a logitech f310 attached in direct mode. I would love to play the game. Please help.

How can I get the dump file to you? Anything I upload is too large.

• MOTD

If you are having an identical issue, please answer the questions I posted above.

Questions:

1) Do you have a Joystick / Controller plugged in?

(If you have a joystick / game pad / external control device other than keyboard and mouse plugged in...)

2) Can you boot the game when only a keyboard and mouse are plugged in?

3) What is the make / model of the controller / joypad

4) Are the drivers up to date?

1) Do you have a Joystick / Controller plugged in? No

2) Can you boot the game when only a keyboard and mouse are plugged in? Yes, but it still crashes.

3) What is the make / model of the controller / joypad? Dualshock 3

4) Are the drivers up to date? Yes, I can play other games perfectly with this controller.

• MOTD

1) Do you have a Joystick / Controller plugged in? No

2) Can you boot the game when only a keyboard and mouse are plugged in? Yes, but it still crashes.

3) What is the make / model of the controller / joypad? Dualshock 3

4) Are the drivers up to date? Yes, I can play other games perfectly with this controller.

While the symptoms might be similar to FRSR, the cause is actually different. In your call stack it is crashing relating to something to do with the graphics card. Unfortunately the exact reason is given as an Apple OSX specific / proprietary code. So I can't translate it.

Just curious, what is the exact model number of Mac that you have?

Are both your OSX and graphics card drivers up to date?

While the symptoms might be similar to FRSR, the cause is actually different. In your call stack it is crashing relating to something to do with the graphics card. Unfortunately the exact reason is given as an Apple OSX specific / proprietary code. So I can't translate it.

Just curious, what is the exact model number of Mac that you have?

Are both your OSX and graphics card drivers up to date?

My MBP is a 2.2GHz MacBook Pro (MD318LL/A). The OSX is 10.7.5 and I went to Apple Support about updating the graphics cards they said it's updated with the OSX.

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6741

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573

gMux Version: 1.9.23

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0116

Revision ID: 0x0009

gMux Version: 1.9.23

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Edited by tato1188

frsr's issue isn't the same as tato1188. I'm having the same issue as tato1188 in that after choosing to play the game, it loads, I can interact with the character on the initial screen (shoot weapons, jump around) but as Soon as I walk to the right and the screen shifts it crashes to the Desktop with a crash log.

I'm getting it on my 27-inch iMac:

(Mid 2011, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB, OS X 10.7.5):

Important part of the crash log:

Thread 1 Crashed ↩:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager

0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9997190a kevent + 10

1 libdispatch.dylib 0x9c7a5e04 _dispatch_mgr_invoke + 969

2 libdispatch.dylib 0x9c7a4853 _dispatch_mgr_thread + 53

Not 100% sure what it means but it seems to be the source of the crash.

Hope this helps.

• MOTD

i'm really disappointed I wasted my last $2.99 on my paypal for a game I thought I would enjoy for the weekend while being sick, instead I was robbed. A Soon as I start the game it crashes. Developers aren't even responding to this issue .. I wish to file a grievance

Hello,

We've been looking into this. The unfortunate part is that when people have the exact error of "Thread 1 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit)", the crash call-stack doesn't really give us any info. It just spits out a generic Apple specific error. It seems to be graphics card hardware related.

With some research online looking at other Mac apps that get a "Thread 1 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit)" the most common solution is to create a brand new user on your Mac, migrating the application, and running from there.

If someone who is getting "Thread 1 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit)" in their call stack could try this and report back, it would be incredibly helpful! Since we can't reproduce this error and have no specific info because of the limited Apple callstack, it's very hard for us to trouble shoot.

If creating a new user and installing the application doesn't solve your problem let us know. We can give you information on how to request a refund from Apple. You'll have to request it through them as they don't give us the ability to issue refunds on our end.

• MOTD

frsr's issue isn't the same as tato1188. I'm having the same issue as tato1188 in that after choosing to play the game, it loads, I can interact with the character on the initial screen (shoot weapons, jump around) but as Soon as I walk to the right and the screen shifts it crashes to the Desktop with a crash log.

I'm getting it on my 27-inch iMac:

(Mid 2011, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB, OS X 10.7.5):

Important part of the crash log:

Thread 1 Crashed ↩:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager

0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9997190a kevent + 10

1 libdispatch.dylib 0x9c7a5e04 _dispatch_mgr_invoke + 969

2 libdispatch.dylib 0x9c7a4853 _dispatch_mgr_thread + 53

Not 100% sure what it means but it seems to be the source of the crash.

Hope this helps.

Heya!

Could you search your full call stack for "Thread 1 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit)."

If you have that, which I think you will... We've been looking into this.

As I mentioned above, we've looked at some other applications online that get the "Thread 1 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit)" and the most common solution is to create a brand new user on your Mac, migrating the application, and running from there.

Can you try that and let us know if that works? Also, if you have a gamepad plugged in, make sure Chrome is closed, and also try running without the gamepad.

Heya!

Could you search your full call stack for "Thread 1 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit)."

If you have that, which I think you will... We've been looking into this.

As I mentioned above, we've looked at some other applications online that get the "Thread 1 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit)" and the most common solution is to create a brand new user on your Mac, migrating the application, and running from there.

Can you try that and let us know if that works? Also, if you have a gamepad plugged in, make sure Chrome is closed, and also try running without the gamepad.

I have that "Thread 1 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit)" error and tried opening it with a new user and it still crashes after the opening movie.

• MOTD

NOTE: I've sent a few people on this thread a Private Message, please check them! :)

So we've been back and forth with Apple on this, doing our own research, and the unfortunate situation is that we will be unable to fix the "Thread 1 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit) error.

The reason for this is that we're unable to get enough information from the call stack. The error is specific to Apple, not our game, so it doesn't reveal anything. The other issue is that we can't even say if it's a hardware issue since it happens infrequently and on very different setups. We can not reproduce this error in-house, so it's difficult to trouble shoot.

If this issue is affecting you, and you've tried re-installing the game, we'll have to direct you to Apple to get a refund on the game since they won't allow us to process our own refunds. We wish we knew why this was happening, but we simply don't have enough info to do anything about it.

HOW TO GET A REFUND FROM THE APP STORE:

1) Go here: https://expresslane.apple.com/ServiceOptionAction.action

2) Click "Purchases, Billing, and Redemption"

3) Select "Mac App not behaving as expected"

4) Click "Continue"

5) Click "Email" under "More options"

6) Fill out the form that appears. Unfortunately the form is generated on the server so I can't link to it directly.

SHANK ON STEAM:

As an additional option, We just recently released Shank 1 on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/6120

On Steam, we have the potential to gather more information about why things break, and can push updates without waiting 2-5 weeks for approval. So, moving forward we will be doing as much testing as possible through Steam, and then pushing larger updates to Apple as needed.

This isn't an ideal post that I'd like to be making, but we've really hit the wall with this particular issue.

i ve just download the game from app store & had same problem Thread 1 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit) error.will try to make a software update..

made a software update.. but game still crahes.. (strange thing : i have an installed firmware update constantly showing by the way)also tried the new user account solution but not work for me.. i opened a guest account. it has to be admin or something else ?

• MOTD

Hello Zool,

I'll have to refer you to my post above regarding the Mac App store X86 Crash. http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?493-Shank-Mac-crashes-immediately-on-game-start-what-am-i-doing-wrong&p=5836&viewfull=1#post5836

If you'd like to contribute your call stack to the thread, that would be helpful, please use a service like http://PasteBin.com to provide it if you do.

I'm seeing this crash as well. Mac Pro 1,1 with 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 5770, OS X 10.7.5. It didn't crash previously when I was running OS X 10.6.8. http://pastebin.com/zqkChr9Q

I'm using the Humble Indie Bundle version, downloaded as shank-mac-12082011.zip. As mentioned in another post, I haven't figured out how to update it to the latest patch.

• MOTD

I'm seeing this crash as well. Mac Pro 1,1 with 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 5770, OS X 10.7.5. It didn't crash previously when I was running OS X 10.6.8. http://pastebin.com/zqkChr9QI'm using the Humble Indie Bundle version, downloaded as shank-mac-12082011.zip. As mentioned in another post, I haven't figured out how to update it to the latest patch.

Thanks for the additional info! We recently released Shank through the Steam store, and your Humble Indie Bundle purchase should be redeemable for this as well. The humble version (downloaded from their store) does not include the most recent updates. Could you try the Steam Mac version and see if you get the same error?

• MOTD

I tried installing the game in Steam, but it seems to have only downloaded an empty directory. The properties dialog shows "Disk usage <none>". Trying to launch it doesn't work, of course: "Failed to start game (missing executable)."

We've actually confirmed this is an issue for users who had the humble version and previously tried to download the Steam version (before we released it). We're actually waiting for Steam to respond to us on this.