Sleeping

First post, hope I'm doing this correctly.

Is it possbile the sleeping mechanic can be changed in one of the upcoming updates? Or maybe not really the mechanic - more the design. Even when I have food aplenty and absolutely nothing to do at night, I rarely choose to sleep because I just kinda hate it.

The first reason is that it feels like a game-rule breaker because sleeping does not require a light source (in general? - I can't really figure out why sometimes the character refuses to sleep one click and the next click they agree) and it's like, is Charlie keeping away because it's rude to wake up people just to bite them to death? I can accept that for gameplay purposes by sheer coincidence no other creatures attack at night, but Charlie is specifically presented as a constant presence that's only out for the abductees and just waiting for an opening. I'd rather the sleeping items become a little more expensive if that means they can come equipped with a light source just to accommodate the in-game world's rules. The fur roll can easily integrate a light bulb. Don't know what the straw roll and tent should have - maybe a new item that attracts fireflies (but can't be used to catch them in case of the tent)?

The other thing is, okay, for some reason the character awakes all like they've had a terrible sleep that makes it feel like taking a nap is a punishable offense, but why is the same animation used for the rolls as for the tent and lean-to? Why is the character lying outside all of a sudden? I did sort of panic after the first time using the tent (and not having used the rolls before) because who dragged Wilson outside? Is it because I only slept half the night that he isn't dead? Do monsters come and get you if you sleep too long? It took me a good while to discover that, no, it's just nonsensical animation recycling. I rather have a minimal "reverse of walking over to sleep" animation for the tent and lean-to than the current waking up animation. Can anything be done with that?

I kind of agree with you, the fact that sleeping items are very cheap. I think you should be sometimes attacked by monsters when you sleep and the more your base 'll grow, the less you'll get attacked ( maybe by calculating the structures you've built near where you're sleeping ) I would also love to have a small chance to have a nightmare. ( i've seen this idea before ) and the more you'll stay in that nightmare, the more nightmare fuel you'll get but also the more brain level you'll lose. The nightmare fuel gain wouldn't be high, something like 3 maximum.. Also agree with a small animation for each sleeping items. So for the bad english :3

I considered that the rolls function as an alternative to material to make fire when you're on a journey and night falls. I never play that way, but I can imagine some choose to take along rolls so they don't have to worry whether they have wood or grass enough when dusk comes around. So, that's why I suggest a build-in light system rather than making the rolls depend on an external source. It'd work for the tent to demand a fire or other light source nearby, though.

Archived