[Balance] - to high chance of spawning treeguards or just terrible unluckiness

AnimeDasho

Bug Submission:

Category: Balance

Issue Title: to high chance of spawning treeguards or just terrible unluckiness

Issue Description: when playing with my friend a noticed that treeguards spawns way to often( or im terribly unlucky)i cut down about 20 trees on 2 day and have already spawned 5 treeguards in the process. i know the chance of them spawning probably have been adjusted in "together" but it just feel like a bit to much.i should mention though that this was on the outskirts of a forest but i have never seen this kinda insane spawning rate in the original game.

Steps to Reproduce: cut trees in dont starve together

Hmm, I just checked evergreens.chop_down_tree() and the logic for number of treeguards looks the same as in the base game. If the tree you chop is older than three days one tree guard can spawn, if it's older than 30 days, two can spawn, and if it was older than 80 days three treeguards can spawn.

TUNING.LEIF_MIN_DAY is also still set at 3 in DST.

My best guess is that players are haunting trees repeatedly, turning them into treeguards. Either that, or you are joining a server that has been runing for a while with very old trees. In that case, some respect for the guradians of the forest is due.

If you plant trees the tree guardians de-spawn. Just a quick FYI.

I also suspect maybe the tree guards are spawned more because you now have 4 people chopping at trees without re-planting, instead of 1. Perhaps there's a way to fix by increasing the numbers or by tracking it by player?

Archived