[Sound] - Hounds don't stop howling and never show up

StarDough

Bug Submission:

Category: Sound

Issue Title: Hounds don't stop howling and never show up

Issue Description: Around day 19 into my Don't Starve server, hounds started howling. It was only me in my server while my friend had recently got off. I closed the server as the howl sound started.

After around 15 - 20 minutes, I started the server up and my friend joined. It's been 5 days into the game and the hounds wont stop barking and the players continue to respond to the hounds as if it was a normal attack. I tried re-hosting the world and they never stop howling...

Steps to Reproduce: 1. Around day 19 (for me anyways) have the hounds start barking.

2. As soon as the first howl starts, close the server and disconnect.

3. Start the server up again.

4. From here the hounds should just keep howling.

I've now got the opposite problem. The hounds have stopped growling and snorting in my world. 

The player characters (Wilson and Willow) say what they're supposed to (e.g. "Do you hear that?") when the hounds are about to appear, but there are no hound-warning sounds until the hounds actually come into view.

While in view, the hounds pant and bark audibly. It's just the warning growls/snorts that are missing, before the hounds come into view.

Incidentally, they did use to growl...up until about Day 80, I'd estimate. From then until now (Day 200+), they've gone all ninja. Perhaps they're meant to evolve into these silent hunters?   :lol:

• Developer

Hi @cranberry, @LilacLavie, @superprohunter, @StarDough,

Thanks for reporting this. The hounds are definitely on my radar.

And no, the Ninja-Phenomenon™ is definitely not intentional.

Does any of you have a save file that shows this behaviour by any chance (it would have to be the person hosting the server)? Either oddity (continuous barking or not sounding off at all) would help me pinpoint what's going on here.

If you go to the directory where the save files are (My Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\save) there should be 'survival_1' to 'survival_5', I'd be interested in the one with the same number as the slot for your server in the hosting screen.

Thanks,

Kaj

And no, the Ninja-Phenomenon is definitely not intentional.

Does any of you have a save file that shows this behaviour by any chance (it would have to be the person hosting the server)? Either oddity (continuous barking or not sounding off at all) would help me pinpoint what's going on here.

What a pity...ninja hounds would be pretty exciting!   :friendly_wink:

Unfortunately, I've played on since the last hound wave. I'll play on some more and save the game when the next Ninja Hounds Squad approaches, so that I can upload the file.

Although now we've said that, I wouldn't put it past them to burst into an operatic aria or a yodel next time they come, just to spite us. If no save file appears in this thread, you'll know it's because they're now serenading me.   :cool2:

@bizziboi : I've somehow replicated the others' problem instead of mine!   :lol:

This time, on Day 221, Wilson started saying, "Did you hear that?" and I actually heard a nice growly noise. Since then, there've been intermittent growls and a few snorts...but no hounds. I'm now on Day 224, and Wilson is still commenting on the sounds, but no pooches have appeared. Attached is my save file. Hope that helps.

P.S. Cannot attach the save file in its original format, so I've zipped it.

Just to make sure, when you exit and reenter this world it keeps nagging you about hounds?

It has so far. I've exited the game completely and re-started it every single day since Day 221, and each time the hounds are still on the cusp of visiting.

In fact, I wonder if that's what caused the hounds to quit ninja mode. The only thing I've done differently this time is: the first time Wilson said, "Did you hear that?" during this hound wave, I quit the game to make it save, then re-started it. Perhaps that confused my scent, so the hounds can't smell me to find me. As with koalephant tracking, "the trail ends here"!   :nightmare:

This bug is actually pretty funny. As my friend and I started to get used to it, we really didn't mind anymore but then all of a sudden we got attacked after like 10 days and died XD. This game is great even if bugs like this exist.

I too have the problem of hearing the dogs but they've never shown up. They first started growling around 10 days or less as if they would be coming soon. I am now on day 30 and they still haven't come and I still hear them and Wilson comments that he can too. It is possible that when they first started growling I closed the server before they attacked and now I have perpetual growling. I don't remember if I did that for sure but I feel like that's what I did.

Update: the next lot of hounds (the ones who've been growling for the past 10 days or so) has finally visited me. (Woohoo!) And now that they've been honey hammed, there's no more growling and snorting in my world. 

As Triskaidekian believes he also closed his server when the warning growls sounded, maybe that is indeed what causes the hounds to lose our scent...

My title for the bug: Haunting Hounds

Same happened to me.

I closed the game as the hounds started howling, and now the sounds are always present, but the hounds never show. When I exit the game, and re-host, same issue. When someone new enters, same issue on their end.

I also get the typical phrases from the players "Did you hear that?" "Show yourselves!", etc.

Look forward to a fix.

I'm having the same problems, they started barking and snarling but around day 19 and have continued for 8 days!! The thing is I never closed my game while the barking started!!! I just waited for the hounds to come but they never did, now I'm cautiously going around my world with a football helmet and tentacle spike! Pls halp.    

Archived