Don't Starve on GOG and Reign of Giants on Steam

TRS

Hi All,

I bought DS long time ago on GOG.com. Since then I spent many hours and I started recording all my sessions and put on my channel on YT.

Now I would like to buy RoG on steam as I want to track  how much time I spent with DS plus taking advantage of the community.

I bought the full package (DS + RoG) on steam but I am wondering if I will lose my save with the DS version bought on GOG.com

How to proceed? If I install the steam version, will it keep my save file? Will it overwrite everything??

I survived almost 150 days and I really don't want to lose that.

Thanks for helping!

Cheers,

TRS

Hi All,

I bought DS long time ago on GOG.com. Since then I spent many hours and I started recording all my sessions and put on my channel on YT.

Now I would like to buy RoG on steam as I want to track  how much time I spent with DS plus taking advantage of the community.

I bought the full package (DS + RoG) on steam but I am wondering if I will lose my save with the DS version bought on GOG.com

How to proceed? If I install the steam version, will it keep my save file? Will it overwrite everything??

I survived almost 150 days and I really don't want to lose that.

Thanks for helping!

Cheers,

TRS

*reads carefully*

The Standalone and the Steam are two different game clients. If you die with no resurrection items, your save game is deleted, but only that save in the game you are running. So if you die in Stream, only your Steam one is gone.

And of course, I'm sorry you had to rebuy it in Steam 

(if other readers are asking why)

I purchased Don't Starve from GoG; do I get a Steam key?
Last Updated: Jul 03, 2014 03:12PM PDT

As part of our agreement, GoG.com has specifically decided not to provide Steam keys. With your Don't Starve purchase on GoG.com, you do have access to download the standalone version of the game. With this version, you'll have access to community-created mods and offline play.

Once you run it for the first time, it will ask for your game key, enter your game key and click on the "Next" button and your game should update to the latest version!

If you have any issues with updating the game, you'll find an easy-to-follow walkthrough here: https://kleisupport.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1233680

(Although I don't use the GoG one, I bought the Humble Bundle Standalone through Klei's Widget one and then later migrated to Steam, and can absolutely confirm the saves are separate.)

Thanks!

I bought already DS and RoG on steam :). so - just to double check - :) if I now install the steam version I will have two separate versions of DS in my PC with no risk of overwriting my previous save files and I can play either one or the other one based on what save files I want to use. Correct??? :) I just don't want to ruin all my efforts!

Thanks!

ps_ I take advantage of this post to link my channel. At this moment I think I am the only youtuber in the world uploading entirely all my days till day 146!!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2scL4AYdsfzGgMjI4AdwJA    

Thanks!

I bought already DS and RoG on steam :-). so - just to double check - :-) if I now install the steam version I will have two separate versions of DS in my PC with no risk of overwriting my previous save files and I can play either one or the other one based on what save files I want to use. Correct??? :-) I just don't want to ruin all my efforts!

Thanks!

ps_ I take advantage of this post to link my channel. At this moment I think I am the only youtuber in the world uploading entirely all my days till day 146!!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2scL4AYdsfzGgMjI4AdwJA    

A resounding YES that's right!

(I personally have saved Standalone games different from Steam, and lost games in one which have been mirrored in the other that are still there after the lost game permadeath wiped that client's save.) 

Archived