Slow speeds when many items are running with Playstation Vita

I was so hyped about this game coming to Vita but sadly, due to the already mentioned fps drops, I really can't recommend this port.

The game slows down noticeably and it isn’t all that rare. The frame drop happens every time there is too much happening on the screen such as the spawning of the penguins during the winter, mentioned bees, too many spiders chasing the player or spawned by a Spider Queen. The weather animation seems to be also affecting the fps as I notice a lot of more slowdowns during the winter – when it’s snowing. The most obvious and noticeable example of the fps drop is the full moon phase where the game drops fps for its entire duration. I am on Day 90 and I’m afraid that at some point the game might become unplayable once I grow my base and the number of some mobs (beefalo, spiders) gets out of control.

I would probably stick to the PC version if I knew the problem so everyone else please reconsider or you might regret it like me. I don’t really blame Klei for this, as I understand this is more of a hardware limitation, which is even more sad as it only proves how useless and dead the vita is.

Can't seem to edit my last post. Well after some quick googling this player has just confirmed my fears of the game becoming unplayable once you actually set up a nice base. He plays the PS4 version so I can only imagine this problem will be way more severe on the Vita.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/718927-dont-starve-console-edition/68293731

I was so hyped about this game coming to Vita but sadly, due to the already mentioned fps drops, I really can't recommend this port.

The game slows down noticeably and it isn’t all that rare. The frame drop happens every time there is too much happening on the screen such as the spawning of the penguins during the winter, mentioned bees, too many spiders chasing the player or spawned by a Spider Queen. The weather animation seems to be also affecting the fps as I notice a lot of more slowdowns during the winter – when it’s snowing. The most obvious and noticeable example of the fps drop is the full moon phase where the game drops fps for its entire duration. I am on Day 90 and I’m afraid that at some point the game might become unplayable once I grow my base and the number of some mobs (beefalo, spiders) gets out of control.

I would probably stick to the PC version if I knew the problem so everyone else please reconsider or you might regret it like me. I don’t really blame Klei for this, as I understand this is more of a hardware limitation, which is even more sad as it only proves how useless and dead the vita is.

Can't seem to edit my last post. Well after some quick googling this player has just confirmed my fears of the game becoming unplayable once you actually set up a nice base. He plays the PS4 version so I can only imagine this problem will be way more severe on the Vita.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/718927-dont-starve-console-edition/68293731

(You gain reply editing once you make enough non-off topic and art/roleplay posts @YUsoEvil and other new forumers.)

Before I continue with my response, I do want to welcome you to Klei's forums YUsoEvil!

But since you're here on this problem, I'll get to that now:

If there was one thing that the GameFaQs user YUsoEvil linked did not possibly do, it was reporting it to Klei directly so they could have seen if there was anything Klei could have done!

Klei (or even we volunteer Moderators) can't know about problems on every post on places outside of Klei's many contact options  (this forum site, their Blog, their support portalFacebookTwitter, and Steam--that last one we have people like @J20hawkz who was helping out members even before Klei asked him to become a moderator here!)

Speaking of support options, there's a great support link that is helped by Klei's staff and fellow players alike! 

If you think there's a serious bug or flaw, please let Klei know in the  http://forums.kleientertainment.com/forum/17-dont-starve-bug-tracker/ thread so we can try and fix your problem! Sometimes, just a few players may be having some issue (or a few have found the solution while many have not who have the issue,) so finding a solution this way really helps everybody!

And I can say having seen the PC, PS4 and Mac game versions running, the game normally does not slow down like this once you establish a base.

Remember, people who do not have a high end computer or have not configured their video recording software/have other memory hog programs simultaneously running sometimes also get a slowdown when past a large number of items on screen. 

But feel free to observe the Video section of ours to see this is true like one of our PS4 posters there  (And since I can't search with absolute certainty unless  they list there they are running on PS4, I've also taken the liberty to link another youtube player  who was making a base with many moving assets to show it is not slowing down. Apologies if either's colorful language is a bit much.) 

Again, if you find I or Klei is wrong on any of this, please let us know in the Bug Tracker so Klei can fix it for you!) 

And again, thanks for visiting Klei's forums YUsoEvil!

Well the link was just an extra, my post was all about the vita port which is sadly subpar and I really doubt there is anything to report to the support directly, so I have given my feedback above.

In the future, please post any feedback or suggestions in this section relating to Reign of Giants (which the Vita has included in its purchase price.) I've taken the liberty of moving your discussion there and made a brand new thread for you.  

I'll check with our techs if anything can be done with your issue, but it's really hard to troubleshoot without specific information (speaking as a former L2 tech.) Thank you for your feedback, (even if not positive!) 

Wow, nice treatment. I made a valid feedback in the Vita thread and what you have done is swept the matter under the rug because no one is going to see it here. You know very well that the issue can't be fixed, even one of the devs have said so. I really doubt that my post would have a huge impact on anyones purchase decision but you have for certain made an impact on mine.

Well the link was just an extra, my post was all about the vita port which is sadly subpar and I really doubt there is anything to report to the support directly, so I have given my feedback above.

This is Suggestions and Feedback. if you're looking for making an impact in future posting, try constructive posting that specifically addresses other concerns. I responded to your post, moved the responses from you to their correct place, and you have an answer to your own words, not mine.

But since there is "nothing to report," then I didn't "sweep anything under the rug." 

Either please make a Bug report on the matter or feel feel to post opinions in Suggestions and Feedback where Suggestions feedback belongs.  

That is all I will say.

Sadly, this thread is right. When I survived for more than 20 days. Or when it is snowing, the fps in the game drops to a point where it kills the fun. Well, I'll just wait and see what happens on the next update. But the game is really fun!  :love-struck:

Archived