does frog rain only happen in adventure mode?

sorry, it does rain frogs.

Original post:

frogs were raining from the sky in sandbox mode, i was actually, doomed, i died, but i did get a bunch of spider glands, raw meats, beefalo fur, and frog legs! the wiki says:

"During the "A Cold Reception" chapter in Adventure Mode,  Frogs will rain from the sky. This is very dangerous because Frogs attack the player when they are too close. It is advised to not wander too much during this type of rain."

i can snag a picture of the frogs if you want.

You left some stuff out on the Wiki. And it's only as right as what the posted thought as right and what the readers post when noticing and correcting anything. In this case 99.997% right, but a (rare) chance to happen outside the Add-on. 

During the "A Cold Reception" chapter in Adventure Mode,  Frogs will rain from the sky. This is very dangerous because Frogs attack the player when they are too close. It is advised to not wander too much during this type of rain.

In the Reign of Giants DLC, rain causes wetness to rise. Also, the chance of rain will change depending on the season. Although it may seem like a minor change to the game, this new mechanic has caused the starting the game in Spring to be difficult (especially while using WX-78) due to freezing and major sanity loss.

There is also a strong possibility of getting struck by lightning if there aren't any objects (trees, grass or any burnable item) or creatures in the vicinity, which will deal 10-15 damage to the player.

Frog Rain also occurs in Sandbox Mode in the Reign of Giants DLC, though only the during the Spring season. The number of Frogs spawned per rain will increase as the days go by.

The answer depends on the Version you are running, but both are (technically) yes, but it should be only one of them as yes.

On a non-Reign of Giants mode, Sandbox game CAN have it rain frogs, but it is very to exceptionally rare. Whether it's a bug or not is debatable. Using something that makes it rain a lot like picking up an Ice/Fire Staff from the Hound Trap makes this more likely for example. 

On a Reign of Giants Sandbox game, it not only happens in Spring (or may any other times it rains no matter what the season) it happens OFTEN in Spring. 

No matter how it happens, make a few traps and corral them into it, pick up and repeat. Don't fight them unless you like swarm fighting.
Even Wigfrid does not!

Archived