Making Custom Characters in Spriter

Okay, first off, let me explain my predicament...

I'm a n00b when it comes to modding. I just started this February, and I still have no idea how to speak basic lua. However, thanks to The Artist's Guide to Character/Item Modding, I was able to start making custom characters, just like I had been wanting to. But then a problem arose.

I use Paint Tool Sai to draw all of my atlases, and while it's a fantasitc art program, all of the art I draw in game looks blurry and unproffesional. I tried Paint.Net, one of the hardest art programs I've ever used to draw (since my laptop is old, I can't get the new, sleek version), but that requires I blow the template up to a ridiculous size, then shrink it back down to go in game, which makes the art look pixelated, unless I make the outlines thick as heck.

Now, I want to try and make a custom character straight from the original source: in Spriter. I've seen the modding pros use this method before (Mr.Tiddles, Vivalavie, ect.) and I'm pretty determined to use this method myself, no matter how hard it is. Then, I can finally upload a decent looking character mod and die happy. ;__;

So... exactly how would I go about doing this and where would I start?

Now, I want to try and make a custom character straight from the original source: in Spriter. I've seen the modding pros use this method before (Mr.Tiddles, Vivalavie, ect.) and I'm pretty determined to use this method myself, no matter how hard it is. Then, I can finally upload a decent looking character mod and die happy. ;__;

I use Paint.net, not spriter. Spriter is just for animating.

EDIT: Forgot to include a hint for my puzzle. Damnit. Alright, guys, I may not have said the rules of the puzzle but one of them is "If I make a post that doesn't have a hint, I have to give a bit of the code". So...

"T"

Are you using the old atlas or the new one?  The old one is very low quality whereas the new one is HD.  As for art programs, I wouldn't think you would get problems if you use SAI with the newer atlases. 

Hm, that's a god question. I assume I'm using the older atlases, I guess.

I would suggest downloading this mod:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/29458-character-mod-wilson-hd/

It includes the source images for all of the body parts (No more editing one giant atlas).  It should help you in your texture making.  Feel free to tell me if you need other assistance and I'll try to help.

Thank you, I'll try it out later and see how the it turns out. ^^

I would suggest downloading this mod:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/29458-character-mod-wilson-hd/

It includes the source images for all of the body parts (No more editing one giant atlas).  It should help you in your texture making.  Feel free to tell me if you need other assistance and I'll try to help.

Yeah, so, this happened:

2w6f5ls.png

I tried redo-ing Wickerbottom's atlas, and, uh, this.

Sorry, I thought you used it once to make Winnie, or something. That's what it looked like from the atlas, anyway.

No, I used paint.net. Simplex just decompiled it and recompiled it (I'm guessing) to make it work better, since the way I did it caused some issues.

Yeah, so, this happened:

2w6f5ls.png

I tried redo-ing Wickerbottom's atlas, and, uh, this.

The problem with altering Wilson's model is that it will use all of the positioning from Wilson's Spriter project.  If you want to use Wickerbottom's model than I suggest either using Simplex's ktools to decompile it or going to the github assets to download it.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/29265-spriter-source-assets/

The problem with altering Wilson's model is that it will use all of the positioning from Wilson's Spriter project.  If you want to use Wickerbottom's model than I suggest either using Simplex's ktools to decompile it or going to the github assets to download it.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/29265-spriter-source-assets/

Simplex's Ktools doesn't work for me, and my computer is apparently too old to open Wick's build.scml from Github. Am I at an impasse, or do I just download all the manual pieces, do over them, and try to compile them in Spriter?

Simplex's Ktools doesn't work for me, and my computer is apparently too old to open Wick's build.scml from Github. Am I at an impasse, or do I just download all the manual pieces, do over them, and try to compile them in Spriter?

I downloaded Cheerio's Easy Character Art tutorial. Of course, the sprites may be too small. What you want to do is open up the .scml itself and change where it said the width and height of each slide to be the width/height if yous. If your textures happen to be a higher Resolution, you'll want to downgrade them to be the same resolution as the normal, 'else they'll just be a walking giant head with giant feet and hands. This seems to cause issues with custom animations, though, which caused me a small deal of pain.

it's available here:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37002-easy-character-art-tutorial/

I downloaded Cheerio's Easy Character Art tutorial. Of course, the sprites may be too small. What you want to do is open up the .scml itself and change where it said the width and height of each slide to be the width/height if yous. If your textures happen to be a higher Resolution, you'll want to downgrade them to be the same resolution as the normal, 'else they'll just be a walking giant head with giant feet and hands. This seems to cause issues with custom animations, though, which caused me a small deal of pain.

it's available here:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37002-easy-character-art-tutorial/

I'll admit, I didn't follow a lick of that, and it's not because you explained it poorly, it's because I have no idea what I'm doing. :/

Could you maybe translate from English to Moron for me?

I'll admit, I didn't follow a lick of that, and it's not because you explained it poorly, it's because I have no idea what I'm doing. :/

Could you maybe translate from English to Moron for me?

I'm not good (at all) at explaining things simply. But I'll try.

Alright, you see in the folder how there's the .scml? Probably sample_character.scml?

If you open that, it has a list of all the images. All you have to do is change the width and height of each mage to match the size of yours. Also, put your character's images over the old ones.

If your images happen to be much larger than the normal ones just because it's a higher resolution, you may have to shrink yours down.

That's the best I can explain it. Sorry if it's still not enough.

I'm not good (at all) at explaining things simply. But I'll try.

Alright, you see in the folder how there's the .scml? Probably sample_character.scml?

If you open that, it has a list of all the images. All you have to do is change the width and height of each mage to match the size of yours. Also, put your character's images over the old ones.

If your images happen to be much larger than the normal ones just because it's a higher resolution, you may have to shrink yours down.

That's the best I can explain it. Sorry if it's still not enough.

Ah, I had a feeling that's what you meant, but I just needed clarification. Thank you, hon, I'll see if that works.

The best way to proceed is to download the Willow build from github.  How is your computer too old?  It shouldn't be different than other Spriter projects...

It says it doesn't support my operating system, and when I tried to download it anyway, it said a component I was missing couldn't be supported by my computer, either... which I checked, and, yup, I couldn't install it.

Lower class people, amirite?

Glad you got it working!  You are indeed right about the exported images, also.  Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

On a side note, I do apologize for being rather persistent with the github projects, as I just thought it would be the best way to proceed.  If I bothered you at all, I am sorry.

Glad you got it working!  You are indeed right about the exported images, also.  Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

On a side note, I do apologize for being rather persistent with the github projects, as I just thought it would be the best way to proceed.  If I bothered you at all, I am sorry.

No, no, I'm happy you were persistant, it made me want to go and get the build for whatever cost. ^^

Just one more thing (I hope) and I promise I'll leave you alone. ;v; How do I transform the .scml to my atlas when all's said and done? Because I tried converting it to PNG as a test, and it just gave me a bunch of dupliate pictures.

You mean how do you compile it into the actual character animation?  You should be able to use the autocompiler that comes with the Don't Starve mod tools (it launches when you run Don't Starve).  You just need to put the scml and all of the images in the exported folder of your mod.  Is that what you need?  If not, I'd be happy to help with whatever it is you need help with.

You mean how do you compile it into the actual character animation?  You should be able to use the autocompiler that comes with the Don't Starve mod tools (it launches when you run Don't Starve).  You just need to put the scml and all of the images in the exported folder of your mod.  Is that what you need?  If not, I'd be happy to help with whatever it is you need help with.

I think we're talking about the same thing, but I mean (here comes a horrible explanation) the atlas.tex files and whatnot that turn the character sprites into actual character textures in game.

Archived