Night in Don't Starve Togerher  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How should this problem be solved?

• Let them die!
    • Don't allow joining at night.
    • Have the Night Monster not affect a player on their first night.
    • Have spawn areas have an infinitely burning fire.
    • Give the player a torch or other when they start.
    • Other (Specify what below.)
    • Have players spawn near each other.
    • Have players spectate at night, and spawn when day comes.
  2. 2. If players spawn near each other, how should exploitation be prevented?

• Have players drop their things when they quit.
    • Have players only teleport the first time they join the server.
    • Other (Specify what below.)

Yeah that makes sense when starting a new game. I doubt we will spawn at night unless you changed it from default so it's kind of fun having to find each other when we start a NEW game.

But the idea of spawning somewhere randomly when wishing to rejoin a game is silly in my opinion. You could end up spawned all alone in an area already picked clean by other players. Having to manically rush to find your friends over and over again each time you quit and want to rejoin will get tedious.

Simply joining the player you selected to join at server selection and spawning right on top of them is a simple and well used system in most co-op games. Having a few seconds of invincibility will prevent death while your game is loading and you spawned on a player who is in the middle of being attacked by something.

Remember spawning into a game won't be instant. So unless you want to load into the game as being killed by something, a period of invincibility is needed. Only a few seconds just to allow yourself to get away.

As I stated in my previous comment, don't you feel that teleporting would be easily abused to exploit the game?

Why not have a system set up so there is a set spawn, and then be able to set your spawn with an item later in the game, so you may spawn at base when you join back in?, This has been successful in Terraria, Starbound, and Minecraft.

Spawning randomally would be quite the annoyance, as seen with DayZ, WarZ, Arma 3, and The Stomping Land, it's easily one of the largest cons in these games, so I highly discourage this.

As I stated in my previous comment, don't you feel that teleporting would be easily abused to exploit the game?

Why not have a system set up so there is a set spawn, and then be able to set your spawn with an item later in the game, so you may spawn at base when you join back in?, This has been successful in Terraria, Starbound, and Minecraft.

Spawning randomally would be quite the annoyance, as seen with DayZ, WarZ, Arma 3, and The Stomping Land, it's easily one of the largest cons in these games, so I highly discourage this.

That's a fair comment. But here is what I'm saying:

1. Teleporting randomly in Don't Starve Together when you all start a new game is basically the same as Teleporting randomly when playing alone in Don't Starve. It's fun to then go exploring and finding each other. In Don't Starve Together we are working to help each other so you won't have an advantage over someone else if you randomly spawn in a "decent" place. That's the big difference.

2. In Spiral Knights, a MMO game, when you want to join a friend you simply click his name on your friends list and select join, no matter where he/she is, you are teleported directly on top of the player. So in Don't Starve Together if you wanted to rejoin a friend all you need to do is click their name and select join. It's not a hard concept to gather or implement. We honestly don't need all this extra stuff like torches or player made spawn points etc... if Klei decide to go with this idea.

Regarding the spawning on top of a player, what if you could only do that at night, with their permission, since during the daytime there would be no need to spawn by a player, and during daytime you simply spawn in the last place your character was at.(If your character was in the caves, it could spawn you at the sinkhole you went in at.)

That's a fair comment. But here is what I'm saying:

1. Teleporting randomly in Don't Starve Together when you all start a new game is basically the same as Teleporting randomly when playing alone in Don't Starve. It's fun to then go exploring and finding each other. In Don't Starve Together we are working to help each other so you won't have an advantage over someone else if you randomly spawn in a "decent" place. That's the big difference.

2. In Spiral Knights, a MMO game, when you want to join a friend you simply click his name on your friends list and select join, no matter where he/she is, you are teleported directly on top of the player. So in Don't Starve Together if you wanted to rejoin a friend all you need to do is click their name and select join. It's not a hard concept to gather or implement. We honestly don't need all this extra stuff like torches or player made spawn points etc... if Klei decide to go with this idea.

I just foresee people using the teleportation of joining the server to get out of sticky situations.

For example, if someone is low on HP/Hunger/Sanity and they don't have anything to regain these stats on them, they can simply rejoin, teleport to a friend who has items readily available for them to recover these stats, or even to die at that player, so that their friend may recover their items after death.

It's a good concept, but I feel it has faults for this game specifically.

The player could just simply wait in a spectator mode until the day comes, then the character will spawn (random location if this is the first time playing on the server, last location if he / she has already played on that server.)

It could only be used on a game where there's no pvp of course, and instead of having the map revealed and freely roaming around to see where are the resources, you could follow your friends's characters on your screen and have the same vision as them (except when they enter the crafting menu, or open a chest for example).

The player could just simply wait in a spectator mode until the day comes, then the character will spawn (random location if this is the first time playing on the server, last location if he / she has already played on that server.)

I agree with this as well, spectating could be interesting for night time, and fun to mess with friends through a third party voice chat.

"You're character just said 'That sounded big!' on my screen" lol

"and fun to mess with friends through a third party voice chat."

Like you said, this implies you don't play on a pvp server, if that's the case I'm more with the idea to be logged in the game after the night finished.

Regarding the spawning on top of a player, what if you could only do that at night, with their permission, since during the daytime there would be no need to spawn by a player, and during daytime you simply spawn in the last place your character was at.(If your character was in the caves, it could spawn you at the sinkhole you went in at.)

Good point but there is a flaw to that as well. Firstly there is definitely someone amongst us who has quickly quit the game and restarted from the last save to avoid death. Now in Don't Starve Together even if you are in a bad situation and you quit to start over, by your solution of spawning them back in the same spot wouldn't mean a thing, if there are other players playing the game, the game is carrying on for them but without you. So you could quit then rejoin and spawn where you left off but what ever was threatening to kill you initially won't be there when you spawn in. Makes sense?

Spawning on a player is really not a necessary action for joining a game, while convenient it will be abused to get out of dangerous situations.

This would make doing things in the game that are currently dangerous/difficult a carefree experience instead of one where you take caution before adventuring, the game would be far easier and less of an immersive environment because of it.

I'm heavily against it for the fact that you can do anything in the game without fear of penalty with this feature.

"Hey guys, I'm about to die, I'm going to rejoin, get some (food / cooked green mushrooms / honey poultices) ready for when I join back in."

Spawning on a player is really not a necessary action for joining a game, while convenient it will be abused to get out of dangerous situations.

This would make doing things in the game that are currently dangerous/difficult a carefree experience instead of one where you take caution before adventuring, the game would be far easier and less of an immersive environment because of it.

I'm heavily against it for the fact that you can do anything in the game without fear of penalty with this feature.

"Hey guys, I'm about to die, I'm going to rejoin, get some (food / cooked green mushrooms / honey poultices) ready for when I join back in."

Have you read post #33?

It doesn't really matter where you spawn, if you were battling spiders with a friend and was about to die and you quit to avoid death, your friend would carry on and kill those spiders. So if you logged back in everything will be ok for you. That's going to happen regardless. And people quit the game in singleplayer to avoid death as well so what about that?

Edit: and I still can't see the problem with spawning on someone else. If they were in a bad situation you also would have to deal with the same situation they were in. You can't use what we are familiar to in Don't Starve to explain how Don't Starve Together will work, we have to think outside the box.

Edit: what's your solution then? Taking into consideration what I have said.

Have you read post #33?

It doesn't really matter where you spawn, if you were battling spiders with a friend and was about to die and you quit to avoid death, your friend would carry on and kill those spiders. So if you logged back in everything will be ok for you. That's going to happen regardless. And people quit the game in singleplayer to avoid death as well so what about that?

Edit: what's your solution then? Taking into consideration what I have said.

The issue is that people will wonder alone if spawning on one another is allowed, with one person that stays near base with a majority of items to recover their stats, which concludes the exploration far quicker and gets materials to a safe location extremely fast, making preparation for seasons a very small issue compared to what it is now.

People quitting the game in single player is more or less exploiting the save system, it's something I look down upon and hope they fix eventually even though it isn't very likely, for the same reason, it allows people to bypass the penalties of their mistakes, it's practically cheating in my opinion.

Spectating during night, then being able to spawn where you left off (or at the designated spawn point) when daytime arises seems to be a very good thought and I agree with that most over anything else I've seen so far, but this requires them to install a spectating system, which might be harsh on Klei, that's the only downside I see to it.

Why add something that can be easily abused more so than other mechanics advised here? Other than the fact that it makes the game easier and let's you play with friends slightly faster.

The issue is that people will wonder alone if spawning on one another is allowed, with one person that stays near base with a majority of items to recover their stats, which concludes the exploration far quicker and gets materials to a safe location extremely fast, making preparation for seasons a very small issue compared to what it is now.

People quitting the game in single player is more or less exploiting the save system, it's something I look down upon and hope they fix eventually even though it isn't very likely, for the same reason, it allows people to bypass the penalties of their mistakes, it's practically cheating in my opinion.

Spectating during night, then being able to spawn where you left off (or at the designated spawn point) when daytime arises seems to be a very good thought and I agree with that most over anything else I've seen so far, but this requires them to install a spectating system, which might be harsh on Klei, that's the only downside I see to it.

Why add something that can be easily abused more so than other mechanics advised here? Other than the fact that it makes the game easier and let's you play with friends slightly faster.

So having a designated spawn point isn't exploitable? I could set a spawn point in the most convenient spot on the map and spawn there everytime I'm in trouble by quitting and rejoining.

Same with spectating during the night. So again what you are saying is we quit the game then rejoin and what ever problems others are having during night, we sit by idly waiting for morning and then spawn where we left off (designated spawn), basically somewhere safe.

@Rononon and anyone else who feels designated spawn points should be added, how about this?

To apply the concept of designated spawn points, there should be one fixed save point. When you save and quit at this point (randomly generated on the map and can't be moved) then we retain all our stuff and start from that point the next time we log in. If you quit randomly the penalty is you lose everything you had on you at the time of quitting. This randomly generated save point has an unlimited supply of light if it is night, so if you were to spawn at night you won't get killed. Saying that you could build a base around this point and exploit it as well.

There is no way anyone can say played made designated spawn points can't be exploited. It's absurd.

To apply the concept of designated spawn points, there should be one fixed save point. When you save and quit at this point (randomly generated on the map and can't be moved) then we retain all our stuff and start from that point the next time we log in. If you quit randomly the penalty is you lose everything you had on you at the time of quitting.

There is no way anyone can say played made designated spawn points can't be exploited. It's absurd.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I meant a designated spawn point for the first time someone joins into the server, it's only a one time ordeal, it will just be like when you  spawn into a new world now, where you first wake up is the "Designated spawn point". Sorry if I miss worded that.

Then everytime after that you spawn where you left off last, so if you were in a cave surrounded by bats, if you come back you spawn there after spectating, still surrounded if someone hasn't gone there and cleared them out

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I meant a designated spawn point for the first time someone joins into the server, it's only a one time ordeal, it will just be like when you  spawn into a new world now, where you first wake up is the "Designated spawn point". Sorry if I miss worded that.

Ok fair enough, what about the second, third, forth times etc... we join in?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I meant a designated spawn point for the first time someone joins into the server, it's only a one time ordeal, it will just be like when you spawn into a new world now, where you first wake up is the "Designated spawn point". Sorry if I miss worded that.

Then everytime after that you spawn where you left off last, so you were in a cave surrounded by bats, if you come back you spawn there after spectating, still surrounded if someone hasn't gone there and cleared them out

In response to your edit.

This doesn't help what you are saying. If someone wanted to "cheat" (leave and rejoin later) and they were in a cave surrounded by bats to avoid dying they could. Their character is now no longer in the game and the bats which were attacking them have now either moved away or have been killed by another player. Either way the next time you spawn back where you left off, you're now safe.

I said why spectating can be exploited in an earlier post on page 2.

Edit: @Rononon I also came up with a compromise to designated spawn points here. Please let me know what you think.

Edit: the point I am making with all the suggestions raised so far is that if someone cheats and quits to rejoin to avoid death, it doesn't matter where you spawn when you come back. My suggestion of joining the player you selected to join from the server list, isn't exploitable if you don't know where they are. Take away the spectating thing and you are essentially joining someone blindly. It is far less exploitable than what ever has been mentioned here already.

@J20hawkz I added the option. It's annoying that I can't just insert it between other and give the player a torch, though. 

@Rononon About what you said on page 2, I feel like there should be a mechanic where you drop all of your stuff after you leave. Maybe players could store their stuff in chests, backpacks, etc. They could lock the chests by making a key or something. Or maybe players only teleport to another player when they first join the server, so when they join again, they just join where they were when they quit. I think I'll add that question to the poll.

@J20hawkz I added the option. It's annoying that I can't just insert it between other and give the player a torch, though. 

@Rononon About what you said on page 2, I feel like there should be a mechanic where you drop all of your stuff after you leave. Maybe players could store their stuff in chests, backpacks, etc. They could lock the chests by making a key or something. Or maybe players only teleport to another player when they first join the server, so when they join again, they just join where they were when they quit. I think I'll add that question to the poll.

I completely am on board with the first time teleport and none after that, but for some reason I can not vote on the poll, good idea imo.

@Rononon and anyone else who feels designated spawn points should be added, how about this?

To apply the concept of designated spawn points, there should be one fixed save point. When you save and quit at this point (randomly generated on the map and can't be moved) then we retain all our stuff and start from that point the next time we log in. If you quit randomly the penalty is you lose everything you had on you at the time of quitting. This randomly generated save point has an unlimited supply of light if it is night, so if you were to spawn at night you won't get killed. Saying that you could build a base around this point and exploit it as well.

By no means do I think the designated spawn point should be player made, I believe it should be as random as it is in Don't Starve Vanilla. Also, the infinite light supply seems excessive, it would surely be made a permanent base for the players, I'm honestly not sure the best way, but so far I mostly agree with the spectator idea, when day comes you spawn where you left the server the last time.

You spawn at the randomly designated spawn point the first time you join the game, though I really like spiritcrusher77's idea as well as it caters to both of our opinions I think he's on the right path.

Delete your vote, and then vote again. It happened to me too.

Seems to be glitched, I'll try to restart my browser later, thank you though.

By no means do I think the designated spawn point should be player made, I believe it should be as random as it is in Don't Starve Vanilla. Also, the infinite light supply seems excessive, it would surely be made a permanent base for the players, I'm honestly not sure the best way, but so far I mostly agree with the spectator idea, when day comes you spawn where you left the server the last time.

You spawn at the randomly designated spawn point the first time you join the game, though I really like spiritcrusher77's idea as well as it caters to both of our opinions I think he's on the right path.

Seems to be glitched, I'll try to restart my browser later, thank you though.

Ah I see. You didn't say that originally. In that case I can agree with you on a random spawn point.

The spectator mode seems pointless to me when spawning in. Only because if you could spectate that means you can essentially avoid any harm and choose when to spawn. Any clarification on that from you or anyone else would be great.

Ah I see. You didn't say that originally. In that case I can agree with you on a random spawn point.

The spectator mode seems pointless to me when spawning in. Only because if you could spectate that means you can essentially avoid any harm and choose when to spawn. Any clarification on that from you or anyone else would be great.

Yeah sorry I was wording things quite oddly earlier, just woke up and found the forums after playing the game for quite some time.

So basically the way I feel the spectating would work, is that when you join at night time you would begin spectating instead of spawning into darkness. You would then spawn when the next day began, the second the sun came up and you didn't have to deal with Charlie.

As I said before, you would spawn where you left the server the last time, after the sun has risen.

Yeah sorry I was wording things quite oddly earlier, just woke up and found the forums after playing the game for quite some time.

So basically the way I feel the spectating would work, is that when you join at night time you would begin spectating instead of spawning into darkness. You would then spawn when the next day began, the second the sun came up and you didn't have to deal with Charlie.

As I said before, you would spawn where you left the server the last time, after the sun has risen.

So just to confirm. Spectating mode will only kick in when we join and it is night?

Archived