Do need Tips for "unorthodox" modifiers

Synthiate

Got a wild idea to start modding...

I have already got an artist, and am currently writing the characters and also experimenting on modding. Not a stranger to coding, but new to lua. 

I'm currently designing three characters, that unsurprisingly have their quirks (Don't Starve hungers for quirks), which may be a little tricky to do...

First one has a mechanic where his right arm is mechanical (It would take up the armor slot), and needs to be maintained by eating gears or something like that. . The thing I'm wondering is how to make a mechanic similar to Wolfgang's mightiness, but tied to the item's (Mechanical arm) durability. He would have 1.5 damage when at full durability (Maybe later have upgrades) and 0.75 when broken. I would also like the Arm not to disappear from the inventory. (I'd consider it could be done by having the arm and the buff be separate, where the Arm is just part of the sprite, but the strength benefit would only come with an invisible item)

He might also have a mechanic where he displaces his items, dropping them randomly, with increased chance to do so when nervous (He's a scatterbrain). I also had an idea where the item would actually spawn somewhere where the character has been recently, but that would be rather impossible.

Second one has a mechanic where she gets a debuff by using ugly items like log suit and buff when using fancy items like Top Hat. Also a sanity gain whenever gold is in her inventory. (She's not a Jew)

Third one would do more damage with tools like spade etc. 

The best thing I can say is that these characters are actually far designed in their context (My novel, or whatever comes from that IP) and as such have a lot of possibilities beyond these, from throwable gold bars to making parasols sanity-soothing.  

I'd reckon these are doable, but I want an expert opinion before I go get frustrated. Opinions?

Got a wild idea to start modding...

I have already got an artist, and am currently writing the characters and also experimenting on modding. Not a stranger to coding, but new to lua. 

I'm currently designing three characters, that unsurprisingly have their quirks (Don't Starve hungers for quirks), which may be a little tricky to do...

First one has a mechanic where his right arm is mechanical (It would take up the armor slot), and needs to be maintained by eating gears or something like that. . The thing I'm wondering is how to make a mechanic similar to Wolfgang's mightiness, but tied to the item's (Mechanical arm) durability. He would have 1.5 damage when at full durability (Maybe later have upgrades) and 0.75 when broken. I would also like the Arm not to disappear from the inventory. (I'd consider it could be done by having the arm and the buff be separate, where the Arm is just part of the sprite, but the strength benefit would only come with an invisible item)

Very doable. I'm not sure about overriding the arm's image, but you could make it a part of the character art. Making it undroppable is a little trickier, but it's manageable. Just force it to equip again with its onunequip function call, I think.

He might also have a mechanic where he displaces his items, dropping them randomly, with increased chance to do so when nervous (He's a scatterbrain). I also had an idea where the item would actually spawn somewhere where the character has been recently, but that would be rather impossible.

This is also not difficult. You could also have it spawn in an area the character has been recently. You would just add tags to entities near the player periodically, removing old tags, and then have the item remove itself from your inventory and spawn it at a location near the tagged entities.

Second one has a mechanic where she gets a debuff by using ugly items like log suit and buff when using fancy items like Top Hat. Also a sanity gain whenever gold is in her inventory. (She's not a Jew)

Easy, just do a AddPrefabPostInit for the items, giving them designated tags, and checking all of the equipped items for those tags and applying the proper effects for each instance of a tag.

Third one would do more damage with tools like spade etc. 

See the above.

The best thing I can say is that these characters are actually far designed in their context (My novel, or whatever comes from that IP) and as such have a lot of possibilities beyond these, from throwable gold bars to making parasols sanity-soothing.  

I'd reckon these are doable, but I want an expert opinion before I go get frustrated. Opinions?

I'm not going to write all of that for you, but those should help you along the right path. I'd suggesting checking the equippable component and the inventory component, to start with. Simutil.lua will also prove useful.

Archived