Reign of Giants Early Access Beta FAQ

DON'T STARVE: REIGN OF GIANTS IS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE NOW

Please visit the Reign of Giants forum for discussions and bug reports.

How can I purchase the Reign of Giants Beta?

You can purchase the Reign of Giants Early Access expansion beta through the Humble Widget or directly from Steam. When you buy the beta through the Humble Widget, you'll receive an email confirmation containing a link to a unique activation key that you can activate on Steam.

When you buy the expansion through Steam, Reign of Giants Early Access will automatically be added to your core game. 

If I buy the beta, do I need to buy it again at launch?

Reign of Giants is a one-time purchase that will get you access to the beta as well as the full expansion when it fully launches in the near future.

Do I need Steam to play the beta?

Yes, you MUST own Don't Starve in Steam to play the expansion at this time.

If I don't own Don't Starve on Steam, can I still purchase the expansion?

Reign Of Giants is an expansion to Don't Starve and does not include the base game of Don't Starve; the Reign of Giants expansion must be purchased separately. Your purchase of the Reign of Giants Early Access allows you to play in both the Steam and Standalone versions of Don't Starve; however you must own Don't Starve on the platform that you wish to play.

During this phase of beta, only the steam version of RoG is available for testing. Once the standalone version is available, your purchase will allow you to play there as well.

You will not be able to play the expansion in the Chrome version at any point. 

If I buy Reign of Giants, will I still be able to play the original (core) game?

Yes, you will be able to play the original (core) game even if you own the Reign of Giants beta. Whenever you start a "new game" (save file), you will have the option to enable or disable the expansion content. 

Can I play my existing Don't Starve worlds (save files) in Reign of Giants?

You'll be able to play your original game saves in Reign of Giants, however, RoG expansion content will not appear when playing that save file. Instead, we recommend that you start a new game (save file), and that will get you access to the content in Reign of Giants. 

When an update is added to the Reign of Giants Beta, will new content be implemented to my current RoG game or do I need to start a new game?

We'll try our best to ensure that the new content updates are added to your existing RoG game saves. However, as this is a beta, there's always a possibility that the new content might not get added to your existing save and you may have to start a new one in order to access them. 

*Disclaimer* Please keep in mind that all mods are to be used at your own risk. We cannot guarantee that content updates will be added to your current game saves if you have mods enabled with your current RoG save.

I bought Don't Starve and the Reign of Giants Expansion through Steam; what now?

When you purchase Don't Starve and the expansion on Steam, you don't have to redeem or activate any game keys. The game and expansion are activated on your account as soon as the transaction has gone through. 

If you do not have Don't Starve and you purchased the Game + RoG bundle:

- Double click Don't Starve on your games library and download & install Don't Starve. This install process should include the DLC content as well. 

- Once the installation is finished, restart Steam 

- Run Don't Starve after restarting Steam and you should be able to access the game and RoG.

- When you run Don't Starve, your main menu's background colour should be purple and should have the Reign of Giants logo.

If you already have Don't Starve and you purchased just the expansion:

- Ensure that Steam has updated your game after the purchase has completed

- Restart Steam if the game does not update; after the restart, your update should be automatic

- Once updated, run Don't Starve and you should be able to access the expansion.

If your game still does not have the RoG content after you've taken the steps above, go into your Steam downloads list and ensure that Reign of Giants or Don't Starve has been downloaded completely.

Will the expansion be available on PS4?

Yup! It will be released shortly after the expansion is officially launched and will not be available during the beta period. 

I found a bug! Can you fix it?

During the beta, we'll be releasing periodic updates which includes new content and fixes. If you think you've found a bug, you should head over to our Bug Tracker and see if anyone else has your issue. If yes, add to the discussion! If you can’t find your issue, add a new one and we’ll take a look as soon as we can.

Archived