Looking for a Lua tutor of sorts. Not a "do it for me", just guide me a bit..

zeropoint101

Hi. I'm NOT looking for someone to just do the work for me, and I'm NOT looking for someone to teach me what I could learn easily in a lot of Lua tutorials around the web. I would say I have a pretty solid foundation on the basic concepts of coding, and the basics of Lua and how it's organized after studying and following through quite a few basic tutorials lately, but I've never done anything very advanced at all as far as practical application in any language. 

Diving into the Don't Starve specific functions and how the code is arranged is looking pretty daunting as I don't even know a lot of the basic Lua library yet. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels continuing to read general lua tutorials.

If someone here is an experienced coder with Don't Starve and enjoys teaching a good student(I catch on quick if you explain things well), let me know and maybe you could help me sort out what I'm doing a little faster. Thanks!

Asking questions as you run into problems or things you don't understand is probably your best bet. Also, having a specific goal in mind is a valuable tool when you're trying to learn something, as it allows you to focus on what you need to know for the task, instead of the task being something unreasonable like 'learn how Don't Starve works.'

Asking questions as you run into problems or things you don't understand is probably your best bet. Also, having a specific goal in mind is a valuable tool when you're trying to learn something, as it allows you to focus on what you need to know for the task, instead of the task being something unreasonable like 'learn how Don't Starve works.'

Yeah, since I posted this, I've learned a bit more. And between forum posts and friends I've made on here, I'm making my way through it. I wasn't really looking for someone to just "teach me how Don't Starve works", but rather someone who could explain "so what exactly does this chunk of code do?" when I'm working on a specific mod. But it seems the forum is working well enough for that anyway.

It's just really daunting at first jumping into practical code from a generalized lua tutorial. Some of the simplest things don't get explained until the more advanced areas of lengthy tutorials. But I'm getting the idea..

There's a person on the forum asking for a file that makes pigs your friends forever after feeding them. That might be a good starting point. (Not that I can really talk <_<)

Thanks very much. I'll look into that post.

Archived