Halloween Mod Question

I'm making a "The Thing, (1982 film) " mod in the spirit of Halloween. I'd like to make MacReady the playable character and then make/ reskin a spider or pig to be a monster/enemy that spawns in the snow and can only take damage from fire. (Like torches and burning trees) My only modding experience with Don't Starve is a basic understanding on how to create a playable character. Now making a new "mob" that spawns into Don't Starve during the Winter seems like a whole new entity. If you could explain the process or compare the differences between making new mobs and characters, that'd be great. It'd be an even greater help if you knew a good mod that added new mobs that I could "study" and use as a reference.

Tips + Help are VERY appreciated. I really want to release this mod before October's end so time = important.    :)

• Developer

I'm making a "The Thing, (1982 film) " mod in the spirit of Halloween. I'd like to make MacReady the playable character and then make/ reskin a spider or pig to be a monster/enemy that spawns in the snow and can only take damage from fire. (Like torches and burning trees) My only modding experience with Don't Starve is a basic understanding on how to create a playable character. Now making a new "mob" that spawns into Don't Starve during the Winter seems like a whole new entity. If you could explain the process or compare the differences between making new mobs and characters, that'd be great. It'd be an even greater help if you knew a good mod that added new mobs that I could "study" and use as a reference.

Tips + Help are VERY appreciated. I really want to release this mod before October's end so time = important.     :-)

Check out the creature mod tutorials in the http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/topic/28021-getting-started-guides-tutorials-and-examples/'>Guides, Tutorials and Examples post.

Check out the creature mod tutorials in the Guides, Tutorials and Examples post.

Quick question: I've been following the lessons however, I can't find a program called "Spriter" in part 3. 

P.S. I use a program called "GIMP", would that be just as good to use?

No trouble at all.  Check out 'A Simple Guide to Spriter' in the art section of the guides.

Soooo, I went to use it and I discovered that this program is in fact not free. Being that I don't have much money/or Paypal on me, would it be possible to take the Spider's anims/images and reskin them with free GIMP? Or is this "Spriter" absolutely mandatory to make new mobs?

Soooo, I went to use it and I discovered that this program is in fact not free. Being that I don't have much money/or Paypal on me, would it be possible to take the Spider's anims/images and reskin them with free GIMP? Or is this "Spriter" absolutely mandatory to make new mobs?

It's free - you just miss out on a few nice little advanced features if you don't have the pro version.

IK locking is worth 25 dollars, but if you can't afford it, you can still use it just fine.

Archived