Renewable Flint

Hello everyone! First off, a quick introduction. I've been lurking the forums for a bit, like two or three days, and I finally decided to make a forum account as after reaching day twenty of my world, I encountered a problem.

Flint is a nonrenewable resource. Considering flint is literally the base upon which the entire game rests (until you get gold), I find this somewhat strange. You may just say it adds to the challenge of the game, but in my eyes, the challenge of the game is to not starve, and dying because there is no more flint on your map is a silly death.

I noticed the problem when I just started my map. There was no flint in my immediate vision, so I had to explore for a little bit. I eventually found some, and made some tools. I was able to find a few rocks scattered across my terrain to get some more, but now, at day twenty, I have fully explored my map and there are no more rocks or flint. This is probably just an unlucky map, as I've heard stories of very large maps, as well as (bird?) biomes which are covered in rocks, and even pig villages which allow you to make luxury tools, but unfortunately, none of these three have happened to me.

So, I propose two solutions to the issue of nonrenewable flint.

1) When picking grass or berry bushes, there is a chance (20%?) for flint to be found as well as the plant. This is somewhat realistic, as in real life, pebbles/stones often occupy bushes. I like this idea the best because it is not complicated, would be somewhat easy to code, and fits the overall theme of foraging and hunting to find your stuff.

2) Earthquakes. I couldn't resist :D. Basically, starting at a certain day (15?), earthquakes have a chance to happen. When an earthquake occurs, a visual effect would shake the camera around and there would be a rumbling noise. Pig houses and bee-boxes would be broken and need to be repaired with a tool (hammer?). When the earthquake is finished, several rocks will surface in varying points around the map. Basically, regrowing stones. This idea would make the game better in my opinion (of course, not everyone feels the same way) by adding a challenge to easy food sources (pig houses and bee boxes) as well as created renewable flint.

Some will say that if you manage your flint wisely, you will be good for a very long time (100+ days). While this is true, it's mainly a matter of luck. Yeah, if you find a bird biome (if that isn't what they are called please correct me...) you will be good on flint for a while and have more freedom with tools. Yeah, if you find a pig house, you can have infinite golden tools by trading, but the point in case is that running out of flint is antifun. It prevents you from doing anything else. I have a large store of bunny meat and torches that I can use to survive indefinitely. The problem with that is that yes, I can survive as the game states as your objective, but I can't enjoy the game's features or explore much without tools.

I hope you consider my proposition by making flint renewable one or another. Thanks in advance!

Sleeeepy... just had an early Christmas lunch party... forgive me if my responses are too short... zzzz. :)

Flint is a nonrenewable resource.

Correct.

Considering flint is literally the base upon which the entire game rests (until you get gold), I find this somewhat strange. You may just say it adds to the challenge of the game, but in my eyes, the challenge of the game is to not starve, and dying because there is no more flint on your map is a silly death.

Basically once gold tools are unlocked most players didn't bother with flint. Even I usually left it on the ground after mining a boulder. However, the new bee mine uses it so it's renewed interest in this resource. I feel that not only flint, but stone also needs a renewable source. Gold ore, on the other hand, can be acquired from the pig king in endless amounts.

I noticed the problem when I just started my map. There was no flint in my immediate vision, so I had to explore for a little bit. I eventually found some, and made some tools. I was able to find a few rocks scattered across my terrain to get some more, but now, at day twenty, I have fully explored my map and there are no more rocks or flint. This is probably just an unlucky map, as I've heard stories of very large maps, as well as (bird?) biomes which are covered in rocks, and even pig villages which allow you to make luxury tools, but unfortunately, none of these three have happened to me.

Sounds like you had an unlucky island generated for you. I know I ended up with a rocky island that had dozens of boulders on it, and esy, that's where the tallbirds often live.

1) When picking grass or berry bushes, there is a chance (20%?) for flint to be found as well as the plant. This is somewhat realistic, as in real life, pebbles/stones often occupy bushes. I like this idea the best because it is not complicated, would be somewhat easy to code, and fits the overall theme of foraging and hunting to find your stuff.

Mmmm. No. I like knowing where my resources are coming from and I wouldn't want to go after one resource just to find another.

2) Earthquakes. I couldn't resist :D. Basically, starting at a certain day (15?), earthquakes have a chance to happen. When an earthquake occurs, a visual effect would shake the camera around and there would be a rumbling noise. Pig houses and bee-boxes would be broken and need to be repaired with a tool (hammer?). When the earthquake is finished, several rocks will surface in varying points around the map. Basically, regrowing stones. This idea would make the game better in my opinion (of course, not everyone feels the same way) by adding a challenge to easy food sources (pig houses and bee boxes) as well as created renewable flint.

Day 15 is too Soon, and remember, the hammer breaks objects, it doesn't fix them. I wouldn't mind an earthquake say, after Day 60. So players who have an established camp can be shaken-up a bit. While it could destroy pig houses, I would leave bee hives alone, as right now the associated resources seem fairly uncommon.

In the past I suggested a volcanic island that spewed boulders out when it erupted every few days. Of course it was also a very dangerous island with lava rivers/pools, random fires and steam vents. All of which are hazardous to your health. And let's not forget that boulders could fall on your head if you're there during an eruption. Bright side? All that lava/fire creates a well-lit area... of death.