Cooking, Tents and Magic!

I've read the discussion about the cookingsystem beeing a bit cumbersome atm, and had some thought about that myself. ( cant find thread). But i also came up with ideas that affect more areas so i guess a new thread is ok.

I dont like that the tent is used for changing your character and that its under Buildings in the UI.

I dont like the concept of fillers in CP and that you have 4 slots (but thats really just me). The tiers that were suggested are a very good idea and that food doesnt stack is obviously a problem. Whats the use of getting advanced food when you cant use it effectively?

So theese things have been "bugging" me and overtime and now i need you guys play advocati diaboli ;)

1.) Tents. Tents are used for sleeping in the night and wear out overtime (the usual 5 uses / 20% e.g.) Adjustment of production cost as needed.

2.) Totem. The totem replaces the current use of tents but is a permanent expensive build under the Magic UI. In order to use it though you will need a feather hat, which will be onetime use. I also though about having to do a magical dance through one night where you will have to fight of a few ghosts succesfully in order to change character the next morning. Maybe the interduction of mushrooms might help here too :o:D Or interaction with dug up items from graves.

3.) Crockpots. Crockpots have 3 slots and fillers like Grass Twigs are removed. You will need one charcoal per use through. Im not sure how this could balance with foodstacking/ foodtiers. This is clearly a difficult task to find a good solution because i think it could be huge fun part of the game to explore cooking but the balances issues are really tricky. (Up to the point where there are succesful strats of ignoring cooking completely vs. fortified independent farms)

4.) Yurts. Through the magic of Science Wilson discovers the combination of Firepits/Crockpots and Tents. A Tier 1 yurt would be with a Firepit, Tier2 yurt a Crockpot(Lightscource issue maybe? Pumpkin Latern?

The basic function of the yurt is a safeplace at night. You have to enter at dawn. A Tier 1 yurt requires the equivilent of 3 logs to use, a Tier 2 yurt a Pumpkin Latern ( maybe the 5 uses per night/ 20%. Do Fireflys respawn?). To use the crockpot inside you still need one charcoal. A limited number of chests could be added.

The advandced function of the yurt is keeping track of cooking. With 1 paper and 1 charcoal you can "learn/store" one recepy of the crockpot and it is the only place where you can do so. This could also be a good place for the suggested stats?

Cant wait to hear from you guys.

1.) Tents. Tents are used for sleeping in the night and wear out overtime (the usual 5 uses / 20% e.g.) Adjustment of production cost as needed.

No real comment here, as while I have a tent I never use it. I prefer to sit by the firepit and sing cowboy songs all night long...

2.) Totem. The totem replaces the current use of tents but is a permanent expensive build under the Magic UI. In order to use it though you will need a feather hat, which will be onetime use. I also though about having to do a magical dance through one night where you will have to fight of a few ghosts succesfully in order to change character the next morning. Maybe the interduction of mushrooms might help here too :o:D Or interaction with dug up items from graves.

Mmmm. No. But then again I'm against adding more magic, so I try not to encourage it. If I had to choose between a totem pole and the tent, I would go for the tent... it's large... there could be other people in there. :)

To be honest, I don't think you should be allowed to switch characters at all during your game. It seems kinda broken... like creating the Meat Effigy with Wilson, then switching to someone else and still benefiting from said effigies.

3.) Crockpots. Crockpots have 3 slots and fillers like Grass Twigs are removed. You will need one charcoal per use through. Im not sure how this could balance with foodstacking/ foodtiers. This is clearly a difficult task to find a good solution because i think it could be huge fun part of the game to explore cooking but the balances issues are really tricky. (Up to the point where there are succesful strats of ignoring cooking completely vs. fortified independent farms)

I'm fine with crock pots having 4 slots, but I agree that grass shouldn't be a filler. Sticks on the other hand are essential for cooking up meat skewers. Not sure there's a real need to require fuel for the crock pot... it's just a means to craft new foods, unlike camp fires and firepits that acts as significant light sources for the night.

Now, while I said I would like the crock pot to have 4 slots, I would like the process changed insomuch as so long as you have 2 food items in the pot you should be able to select the "cook" button. Right now you need 4 food items... and that strikes me as odd. Why does there need to be 4?

What I would like to see are recipes that use one of two methods, either various ingredients that create a food at a specific tier (in terms of saitiating hunger) with each tier denoted by an adjective or specific combinations of meats/veggies/fruits that create a specific food. For example, say one recipe was for soup. Now soup might have 4 tiers depending on what ingredients you use when cooking it and these tiers are denoted by the adjectives: Bitter, Bland, Tastey, Delicious. So the more ingredients you use and the better the quality, the better the end result. IMHO, if you cook multiple soups and they are "delicious", then they should stack. the downside, if you have "bland soup" and "tastey soup" they wouldn't stack.

For my suggested "specific combinations" recipe what I meant is, if you want to make a cheese sandwich (for example) you need to combine bread with cheese. Two ingredients, but specifically those two. If you try adding more ingredients or less you won't make a cheese sandwich. Obviously every cheese sandwich would saitiate the same amount of hunger and stack with other cheese sandwiches.

4.) Yurts. Through the magic of Science Wilson discovers the combination of Firepits/Crockpots and Tents. A Tier 1 yurt would be with a Firepit, Tier2 yurt a Crockpot(Lightscource issue maybe? Pumpkin Latern?

The basic function of the yurt is a safeplace at night. You have to enter at dawn. A Tier 1 yurt requires the equivilent of 3 logs to use, a Tier 2 yurt a Pumpkin Latern ( maybe the 5 uses per night/ 20%. Do Fireflys respawn?). To use the crockpot inside you still need one charcoal. A limited number of chests could be added.

The advandced function of the yurt is keeping track of cooking. With 1 paper and 1 charcoal you can "learn/store" one recepy of the crockpot and it is the only place where you can do so. This could also be a good place for the suggested stats?

Safe place at night? Not interested.

Feel free to keep discussing the crock pot with me. :)

I agree with mobius, in that that the whole guaranteed safety at night thing would really detract from how interesting the game is. Imminent danger and deathly-consequences is the CORE of the game. It's like playing on Peaceful in Minecraft, yes, 1% of people might like it, but for the other 99%, that play on hard only, it ruins enjoyment of the game, and so stands at the very VERY bottom of the barrel as far as development priorities go. Don't Starve might one day have an Easy Difficulty, where one can easily and consistently avoid every danger in the game, and night poses no danger, but I doubt it. ^^

As far as the other things go, I don't use bedrolls(tents), tents(totems), or crockpots, as I find them to be a waste of resources and time. XD