Going legit

A friend of mine directed me to this game via a pirated version and I really liked the game so I bought it. (gifted my extra copy to my friend so he now has a legit version as well.) What I wanted to know is how to transfer the save file over. I don't want to lose all of my progress just because I bought the legit game.

I'm not sure how the pirated copy was saved, but look through the program files for the pirated version for the save folder for your world. Then in Steam you have to turn Cloud Syncing off for Don't Starve, restart Steam, and then copy your save file into the Steam program files for Don't Starve. Not 100% sure, but something like this would be the way to go. Can't try it now because I'm at work, but there are other topics regarding backing up your worlds, so search around and read those.

its good that you decided to honor the creators of the game by purchasing Dont Starve, however whether people here do or not condone piracy wont change the fact that no one will be able to give you a definitive answer on transferring your save...why? Well this will depend heavily on where this pirated version of the game stores its saves files, could be anywhere could be in the pirated copy's folder within program files or as a more lucrative suggestion, appdata/local as that's a common place for things and will require you to set invisible files and folder to show hidden.

its good that you decided to honor the creators of the game by purchasing Dont Starve, however whether people here do or not condone piracy wont change the fact that no one will be able to give you a definitive answer on transferring your save...why? Well this will depend heavily on where this pirated version of the game stores its saves files, could be anywhere could be in the pirated copy's folder within program files or as a more lucrative suggestion, appdata/local as that's a common place for things and will require you to set invisible files and folder to show hidden.

^ Pretty much. Google it, or ask the person who released the pirated game if you want an answer. I assume pretty much everyone on these forums got it legit...