It would be fun and challenging if there was no maps a the beginning of the game and you had to draw them on leather or on papyrus.

For example.

I decide to explore a new island, so I craft a new blank map. I walk to this island, I use the blank map, name it Willownia, and then the map build itself as I explore the island.

I also have a "world map" where I can see all islands and the name I given them.

When my character dies because he camped a little to near a cluster of spider nest and had no grass to make a torch ( sad memory here), the maps stay on his body and the next character to live in the world could try to retrieve the maps from his dead owner, if the dead owner does not rise from the deads and defends his mortal possession, but that is another thread...

It would be fun and challenging if there was no maps a the beginning of the game and you had to draw them on leather or on papyrus.

For example.

I decide to explore a new island, so I craft a new blank map. I walk to this island, I use the blank map, name it Willownia, and then the map build itself as I explore the island.

A similar suggestion was made, but slightly different. Namely that the player doesn't start with a map, or map icon in the lower right section of the screen. And then only after they get papyrus and create paper would they be able to create the map and the icon would appear. Now the difference is that in the other suggestion the map would appear/work like the current one, showing everywhere you've been and drawing everything on its own.

That being said, I personally don't see the need to create a map for every island and name them. Besides, there's a limit to the number of ways I can use "death" in an island name. Too few. No, I would be setting myself up for eventual disappointment.

I also have a "world map" where I can see all islands and the name I given them.

But the current map system handles this aspect well enough, and with zoom you can get as close or far away from the map as you need.

When my character dies because he camped a little to near a cluster of spider nest and had no grass to make a torch ( sad memory here), the maps stay on his body and the next character to live in the world could try to retrieve the maps from his dead owner, if the dead owner does not rise from the deads and defends his mortal possession, but that is another thread...

I used to think the whole "passing things along after death" suggestion was interesting, but I've cooled to it now. I would rather all game had a fresh start. After all, who wants to revisit the exact same islands over and over again...? Next game I plan to recreate my map so I can have the fun of exploring it all over again.