Suggesting subtle details?

I love how this game can be just so darn creepy. I'm afraid of the bloody trees! I walk a forest and when a tree grows or shrinks I just jump. It's wonderful and really keeps you on your seat sometimes. Keep that, it's awesome.

I would like to suggest a few things that might happen to make the game even more scary. The idea I had was at night when you are trapped next to your campfire make things happen like a mist on the edges, or a soft creepy sound like footsteps, or strong wind.

Of course I would also suggest this only happened once every 8-10 days Something that wouldn't be over used. Also probably best to have it happen midway from dawn, so you can be sure it's not wasted if I'm using a sleeping bag.

I dunno it's just an idea I had for consideration. I look forward to seeing what you do make, and I thank you for your time, and game.

I love how this game can be just so darn creepy. I'm afraid of the bloody trees! I walk a forest and when a tree grows or shrinks I just jump. It's wonderful and really keeps you on your seat sometimes. Keep that, it's awesome.

Yup. For extra fun at night when you setup camp try running into and out of the surrounding darkness, but just don't stay there too long (i.e. that will kill you). I think my mind may be playing tricks... but I swear I spotted something coming for me...

I would like to suggest a few things that might happen to make the game even more scary. The idea I had was at night when you are trapped next to your campfire make things happen like a mist on the edges, or a soft creepy sound like footsteps, or strong wind.

Fog was actually suggested as a weather type (if they introduce weather), during which ghosts rise from every grave. It was also suggested that there be a haunted island (biome) which is wrapped in perpetual fog and littered with graves, tombs, and ruins.

I agree, and have even mentioned before in other threads, that more should be done to heighten the fear of night. For example, like you, I spooked myself once at my base camp one night. You see next to my firepit it my replant grass field (~20 grass all clumped together). Anyway one night I saw the grass moving... like something was moving through it. I was startled and wondered what it could be... before I realized it was just the grass re-growing. Still, that brief moment really had me going (for my spear...). :)

Of course I would also suggest this only happened once every 8-10 days Something that wouldn't be over used. Also probably best to have it happen midway from dawn, so you can be sure it's not wasted if I'm using a sleeping bag.

It comes down to cheap scares versus real threats. If a sound effect is added just for the sake of cheap scares, then over time players will realize it and no longer be affected by it. In contrast, when you hear the sound of spiders nearby you know they're a real threat and it has the desired effect. So I would say the DEVs need to use a varied, but light hand on sound effects, while adding more real threats to the night (in time).

Anyway, good to see that there are others who share my interest in cranking up the fear factor of the night. :)

Heck ever since my first encounter with a treant I guess? I fear cutting down every tree in a group. That's something to accomplish. What's more it happens just rare enough that it doesn't become bothersome. There is a great balance here so far, and I want it kept. :)

it doesn't take much to add personality to a game, just some varience. Wind at strong or soft levels, shrinking light, creepy things that will just sometimes go bump in the night. I really look forward to seeing what this game will do. It's also something I will find myself playing down the road.

Heck ever since my first encounter with a treant I guess?

Ah yes, the treeguards.

I fear cutting down every tree in a group. That's something to accomplish. What's more it happens just rare enough that it doesn't become bothersome. There is a great balance here so far, and I want it kept. :)

Well it happens more often depending on how many trees you cut down. Some people have indicated that by cutting down trees and not replanting them it triggers the treeguard to spawn from a random tree. Not sure if that's true or not. What I can say is that even if a treeguard calms down and turns back into a tree it will always be a treeguard (i.e. if you cut down a single tree near it or attack it, it will transform again).

When you have pig men followers cutting down lots of trees you'll encounter treeguards more often. In truth the only time I even feel slightly indimidated by them is when they follow you to your camp fire at night. Then you have few places to go unless you want to try using a torch or two.

it doesn't take much to add personality to a game, just some varience. Wind at strong or soft levels, shrinking light, creepy things that will just sometimes go bump in the night. I really look forward to seeing what this game will do. It's also something I will find myself playing down the road.

Yes, there are certainly a lot of natural sound effects that could be added. So long as the DEVs don't go over-the-top it should be fine.