Wilson and the Smallbird [Visual Art + Improvised Literature]

OI! I went and re-drew some doodles I made before school and coloured them up. I completely improvised a story with minimal editing, so it’s not the best... anything. But hey, uhm... well, here’s this!

---

Wilson waits by his fire. The night, engulfing him, is only shielded by the light from the open flame. An egg he found sits by the fire, occasionally twitching softly, unintentionally alerting Wilson of it’s presence. The first crack, Wilson crawls closer to examine the egg. More movement is presented as it rocks back and forth. Wilson, being the scientist he is, tries to hold back his emotions, yet attempts to stay proud of what he’s done. The creature inside the egg, becoming restless, pokes out a small hole in the egg, showing it’s newborn purple beak. After a long while, the creature breaks free of it’s shell, with it’s eyes closed, it moves upwards. Wilson, trying to hold back as much as he could, broke out in a smile as the newborn chick opens it’s eye, shining in the light of the fire.

Posted Image

Wilson, using his general knowledge in Biology, takes out the last of his berry supply. The bird chirps, requesting nutrients, is fed mushed up berries from Wilson’s hands, the only real thing he can immediately come up with. The young one was still too small to feed for itself. Days pass, the bird grows bigger. The bird takes its first hops around, getting used to its feet for the first time. As Wilson is closeby, chopping down a tree for lumber, the bird walks up and rubs up against his leg, surprising him. Wilson has loosened his ego of being a scientist, and started to think himself of a father. “Well hello, Geoffrey!” he called.

Posted Image

He and Geoffrey go on about Wilson’s normal routine, chopping trees, mining rocks, trading with the Pig Men. Geoffrey skips alongside Wilson, enjoying every moment, getting fed a mix of berries and seeds. The two become close, and whenever danger presents itself, Wilson takes the front defence for Geoffrey, protecting him at all costs. As Wilson begins to show more emotions, Geoffrey picks up on them. Laying down at night, the cool breeze, the many stars. Nighttime used to be intimidating for Wilson, but with Geoffrey by the side, he feels a lot more secure than with an axe on standby.

Posted Image

One night, hell decided to break loose. As Wilson and Geoffrey were walking through the forest, Geoffrey trots off a small distance away from Wilson. He explores the new area, but trips on a thick tangle of silk, cracking a pile of sticks nearby. As Wilson turns to investigate the commotion, so does a gang of mutant spiders. These spiders are much larger than the usual, and the large numbers corners Geoffrey into a corner. Wilson, only equipped with an axe, jumps in for Geoffrey’s defence. Scratches, bites, slashes, fights, Wilson’s blood is spilled onto the ground. Knocked down, but not out, Wilson forgets all of his civilized thinking from back home, and instead of running, uses the last of his strength to run off the spiders. But, alas, once the battle was won, he pummelled to the ground.

Posted Image

Geoffrey drags his lifeless corpse back to their old base. The area of where Geoffrey first tasted life is the area where Geoffrey first experienced a death. Wilson’s skin turns grey, the same colour of the rotten shell nearby. The sky clouds, night is nearby, but nobody to light a fire. Only few animals cry tears out of sadness, Tallbirds are one of them. But something about Geoffrey changes, such as Wilson had.

Posted Image

---

Oh my... life and death are such touchy subjects for me. Imagery of a small little bird emerging from the shell, covered in a slimy substance, is brought into a new life, while at the same time, there is another creature somewhere, leaving conscience and becoming an empty shell of themselves, as such the egg was.

---

Thanks to [MENTION=16522]LemonRobot[/MENTION] for the name

Posted Image

• Like 1

*wipes tear from eye*

That was...no, wait. Shade's don't cry...

*begins laughing hysterically*

Just kidding, it was a great story Very emotional.

I go crazy when I'm tired. Here's the result. Oh my, what have I done now?